Dementeleus

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

I said this on page 75 or 92 or 106 lol but with Brady Manning...the weather and for us Canadians tge Grey Cup I figured estimates for Sunday were over by about 2-3 mill. Looks like i along with everyone else were a bit low in that number.

But MJ2 is the finale

Until it's in 3D, it doesn't stand a chance at any records. This is the second movie and it barely increased over the first one. This has to be a home video hit in order to give MJ1 some propulsion for it's OW. If MJ1 is good, then we might talk about 180-185M OW, but no chance at record.

+ Avengers 2 will probably increase it.

• Like 1

Until it's in 3D, it doesn't stand a chance at any records. This is the second movie and it barely increased over the first one. This has to be a home video hit in order to give MJ1 some propulsion for it's OW. If MJ1 is good, then we might talk about 180-185M OW, but no chance at record.

+ Avengers 2 will probably increase it.

Yeah, but MJ2 will take TDKR's 2D record!

Yeah, but MJ2 will take TDKR's 2D record!

Not necessarily. It's very possible that the Hunger Games phenomenon has peaked. First movie opened huge, had pretty good legs for such a big opener, had great home video sales (better than Avengers), and yet here we are looking at a sequel that barely increased in opening weekend gross compared to the first one. Hell, the increase appears to only be due to an increase in screens for previews and IMAX, plus a little bit of ticket price inflation.

• Like 3

Unless it's in 3D, I'm still not convinced Mockingjay Part 2 will open bigger than Catching Fire. Let's remember New Moon opened higher than Breaking Dawn Part 2 by $1.7M. Hunger Games may have indeed reached full saturation with Catching Fire.

Breaking Dawn Part 2 didn't open higher because Kristen betrayed Robert kkkkk

The only difference here is that IM2 is the dullest, least memorable blockbuster in years.

I won't see the film until tomorrow, so I can't comment on the quality comparison yet. But the box office situation is eerily similar between the two. Catching Fire's opening weekend was just a bigger version of IM2's, both in expectations and actual performance.

IM2 - Expected to make $150-160m, made $128m

THG2 - Expected to make $180-190m, made $155-160m

I am hoping that the holidays this week will help THG2 hold a lot better than IM2 did.