Plain Old Tele

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

And again, that's fine, I was just responding to Noctis when he said to compare THG to Potter and not Twilight.

I think you have to take Twilight's effect into account, but Twilight was really an anomaly. One that I don't feel the first THG replicated exactly, so I doubt CF will perform as much like a Twilight sequel. I think it will perform like a Potter sequel with more female appeal. So maybe 75/25 Potter/Twilight, just to throw a number out there.

I agree it won't perform like Twilight, but unfortunately at this time, we don't really know if the numbers for BD1 and BD2 were because of the "Twilight effect" or the Canadian cheap Tuesday effect.  Cheap Tuesdays here have been like this since about 2011.  RTH discussed this with us about a year back.  So I obviously don't think THG is anything like Twilight, but the first week's dailies are hard to gauge at this point.

I am not even going to get into the discussion about this THG-Twilight comparison but I think it is very obvious why people are comparing the two movies. Both are huge pre-Thanksgiving openers and the first THG movie had a drop that was in the same ballpark as the Twilight sequels.

Edited by TLK
  • Like 1

I am not even going to get into the discussion about this THG-Twilight discussion but I think it is very obvious why people are comparing the two movies. Both are huge pre-Thanksgiving openers and the first THG movie had a drop that was in the same ballpark as the Twilight sequels.

You have to look at the weekly drops, not the weekend due to different release time periods.

New Moon

Week 2 drop -72.4%

BD1

Week 2 drop -71.4%

THG

Week 2 drop -58.2%

Not in the "same ballpark". And both Twilight sequels had the advantage of Thanksgiving, which usually tempers drops.

GOF

Week 2 drop -56.9%

DH1

Week 2 drop -66.2%

• Like 3

This mentality confuses me. Does everyone have to have the same opinion as the rest of you?

No, but even the fans of this series say their bit and leave it at that. This is not the same since some users use every single post they write to downplay or downgrade the film. Opinions are fine as long as they're not shoved down our throat.
  • Like 2

No, but even the fans of this series say their bit and leave it at that. This is not the same since some users use every single post they write to downplay or downgrade the film. Opinions are fine as long as they're not shoved down our throat.

I feel this way about TASM/TASM2.

You have to look at the weekly drops, not the weekend due to different release time periods.

New Moon

Week 2 drop -72.4%

BD1

Week 2 drop -71.4%

THG

Week 2 drop -58.2%

Not in the "same ballpark". And both Twilight sequels had the advantage of Thanksgiving, which usually tempers drops.

GOF

Week 2 drop -56.9%

DH1

Week 2 drop -66.2%

And for the curious, the 1st Twilight dropped 66% in its second full week.

• Like 1

But you have to remember that in the previous week, Wednesday and Thursday are inflated compared to the next week.

New Moon

Week 2 drop -72.4%

BD1

Week 2 drop -71.4%

THG

Week 2 drop -58.2%

GOF

Week 2 drop -56.9%

DH1

Week 2 drop -66.2%

I don't see it dipping as lightly as GOF... Movie opened a little too long ago. Had a sub-47% second weekend drop. Likely more in the range of DH1. So... Probably about at least $62M+ this weekend. I'm curious to see if Frozen steals away to demand to keep it under $65M or even under $60M.

Opening ten day projection for Catching Fire? How close can this flick get to $300M in ten days? I'm thinking just above/below $280M.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

I am not even going to get into the discussion about this THG-Twilight comparison but I think it is very obvious why people are comparing the two movies. Both are huge pre-Thanksgiving openers and the first THG movie had a drop that was in the same ballpark as the Twilight sequels.

The weekend numbers already show that THG performs differently to Twilight.