Plain Old Tele

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

No, but even the fans of this series say their bit and leave it at that. This is not the same since some users use every single post they write to downplay or downgrade the film. Opinions are fine as long as they're not shoved down our throat.

He does this for every movie. This isn't exclusive to THG. 

That's weird. Over here in the UK they were playing it in theaters at the same time as it was on tv. I thought they were doing the same thing over there. 

Could have been but I didn't see it at any of the theaters I checked. Every theater was sold out for Monday night.

Sounds like we agree that we should just count the gross and stop the whining about "no fair!".   You are right, there are countless variables to consider if we want to equal everything out.   It may be a disadvantage to one movie if its studio did not conduct a good marketing strategy and release date vs a movie who's studio concocted a brilliant strategy and chose a good release date.

Your claim that "Most audience members are given no choice in the matter" on the decision to see a movie in 3D sounds extremely far-fetched to me.   First of all, watching a movie in a theater is a choice so the claim falls apart right there.  If the price is truly disagreeable to anyone they simply would choose to not pay it and do something else.   Like anything else, if the price is too high, people won't pay it.   That includes inflation.

Secondly, I've not watched a movie in 3D in several years and have no plans to see one in the future unless it's something like Avatar 2.   I've been to movie theaters all over the city I live in and it's never a problem.   That's my choice and it's working out just fine.   Notice that 3D is becoming less popular?   There is a reason for that....people do have a choice.   I did see Avengers in 3D once...but only because the people I was with couldn't wait a mere 30 minutes to see it in 2D.   That's a huge compliment to the movie....they actually could not wait to see it and felt it was worth paying more to see it "right now".  I rolled my eyes...but majority ruled.   That was a choice.

I haven't had a choice to watch movies in 2D if I want it on a truly big screen. The 2D versions of movies are relegated to the smaller screens. I actually sought out a lot of movies to watch in 2D only, but sitting in a screen with just 10 rows of seats is not exactly a cinematic experience, it is a glorified home viewing.