Dementeleus

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

Twilight's was nearly strictly a demo of middle aged females that rushed out along with their teen daughters, and Potter's were more parents/grandparents going with the kids/teens. THG hit adult male and female demos harder than the other two franchises. Adults will go see this even if they're not just taking the kids or are horny housewives.

harder than HP? Yeah I am not seeing it

harder than HP? Yeah I am not seeing it

I really don't think as many adult couples went entirely on their own to see the HP films as they did to see THG. I mean Potter is Children's literature after all. It's like saying most adults would go see animation without kids. I wish it were true, but it really isn't.

If the 67.5 million opening day proves to be true, I have to say that I'm a tad bit disappointed. I figured at least 70m, closer to 75m opening day. And it might not even match the first one's OW. I mean, yes, 67.5 OD and 140+ OW are nothing to scoff at, but I think a lot of people predicted beating TDKR for biggest 2d opening and more. Maybe the numbers will be higher than what the estimates are, but eh. The real test will be the drop next weekend.

Just an additional note, at the theater I work at, it didn't seem that we were that busy today, although I work in the diner in my theater, so it's probably not the best representative of how well a movie does box office wise.

• Like 1

That, and FOTR had insane legs. THG had a 2.68 multi. Hardly unbeatable.

2.68 in March is very different from 2.68 in November. CF will have a great week next week (even with a steep drop for the 3-day, as expected). But after Thanksgiving, it's a black hole until Christmas, and by then it'll be down to a fairly small daily number. The more recent Potters (or yes, Twilight) are probably the best examples... give CF somewhat better legs than them, but even then you're still looking at a 2.4-2.5x.

Word of mouth is irrelevant for a follow-up to a $400 million movie. Everyone already knows about the movie. Either they are watching it or not. WOM won't do shit. A lot of people consider Spider Man 2 to be the best super hero movie of all time and it dropped from the first one.

• Like 3

Word of mouth is irrelevant for a follow-up to a $400 million movie. Everyone already knows about the movie. Either they are watching it or not. WOM won't do shit. A lot of people consider Spider Man 2 to be the best super hero movie of all time and it dropped from the first one.

Empire Strikes Back dropped from Star Wars and is the least domestic grossing movie in the Star Wars saga.