ChD

The Hateful Eight | Out NOW in Digital and 70mm | 187 minutes long including a 12 minutes intermission

You really like 5 of his 8 movies, and even think a 6th is at least good but he's overrated?

What did Jackie Brown ever did to you to hate her so much?

He's a good and consistent director with a masterpiece. I think people see him as some second coming of film though because his work is some of the most visible of the auteurs working today.

He's a good and consistent director with a masterpiece. I think people see him as some second coming of film though because his work is some of the most visible of the auteurs working today.

The reason he's my favorite working filmmaker is because he almost always pays equal attention to all major elements of film (dialogue, performance, tone, pacing, visual style, music) while telling stories that are genuinely inventive, entertaining, smart and emotionally involving at the same time. And, to add, he's doing all of that with seemingly unlimited joy and enthusiasm that always come through. I think he's got two of the greatest films of all time (PF, Jackie Brown) and at least three other fantastic movies (RD, Kill Bill taken as a whole, Basterds) under his belt, and while he's not at all above reproach (Death Proof and Django are both "merely" pretty good, and I don't have any desire to watch them again any time soon), that's a hell of a track record. 

• Like 3

The reason he's my favorite working filmmaker is because he almost always pays equal attention to all major elements of film (dialogue, performance, tone, pacing, visual style, music) while telling stories that are genuinely inventive, entertaining, smart and emotionally involving at the same time. And, to add, he's doing all of that with seemingly unlimited joy and enthusiasm that always come through. I think he's got two of the greatest films of all time (PF, Jackie Brown) and at least three other fantastic movies (RD, Kill Bill taken as a whole, Basterds) under his belt, and while he's not at all above reproach (Death Proof and Django are both "merely" pretty good, and I don't have any desire to watch them again any time soon), that's a hell of a track record. 

Some people (not me) argue Tarantino is just a juke-box pillaging thousands of films the majority of (western) people haven't see.

Reservoir Dogs was an unofficial remake of a Honk Kong film I am forgetting (Ringo Lam was the director I think).

Tarantino would probably confess it himself, almost every frame he creates is a reference to a film he saw.

Dude s probably one of the biggest cinephile ever.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

Some people (not me) argue Tarantino is just a juke-box pillaging thousands of films the majority of (western) people haven't see.

Reservoir Dogs was an unofficial remake of a Honk Kong film I am forgetting (Ringo Lam was the director I think).

Tarantino would probably confess it himself, almost every frame he creates is a reference to a film he saw.

Dude s probably one of the biggest cinephile ever.

I think he used a collage of genres well in the Kill Bill movies, and that's probably what elevates them from B or B- to B+s for me. He mashes up the western, with eastern cinema and spaghetti western and it is all very gratifying for a cinephile.

I'm not sure I buy into this idea that he spends equal time on everything though. The pacing of his films are rocky and he definitely has some skills he excels at over others.

Maybe he isn't overrated, persay. It is just other auteur directors who make unique films and real pieces of art don't get enough credence which makes him seem over exposed.

Shrug emoji if there were one.

Edited by TStechnij
  • Like 1

Tarantino is a cinematic DJ.

He mixes so many, many, many things together though, people have no idea how broad his tastes are, I think you could have a conversation about movies from almost any time period & country, he has seen it all.

Dude s scary.