Impact

2011 Best Picture Predicts

Yeah, my bad... :unsure: I'll change my words. Rabid Academic likers. But I know of many general moviegoer also loving ToL. ToL is very divisive but the reactions of those who think it's a good film are way more "rabid" than Bridesmaids good reactions.

I agree 100%. Tree has a much better chance than BM at getting a nom. Anyway, at this point, it all kind of seems pointless. I don't think there is any doubt that The Artist wins BP at this point unless all of sudden backlash happens like it did last year to TSN. But, I don't think there is a film strong enough even if there is backlash. At least, with TSN, TKS was seen as the frontrunner for a while, and had a lot of support behind it. I'm just not feeling it for any of the other films.

Agree. There's practically no competition. And also I've seen some articles already talking of this year awards season as the nostalgia year. Three films sure to be nominated are dealing with the nostalgia factor: TA, Hugo and MiP.

The only other film I'm thinking for an unlikely surprise is The Help, mostly because of the actors support/love of that movie. In fact, the actors branch was the main reason TKS won last year over TSN, the favourite option for the tech branch. The same happened with Shakespeare in Love or Crash. I've learned to never understimate the actors feelings. And they really love The Help. They already showed that at SAG noms.

Agree. There's practically no competition. And also I've seen some articles already talking of this year awards season as the nostalgia year. Three films sure to be nominated are dealing with the nostalgia factor: TA, Hugo and MiP.

The only other film I'm thinking for an unlikely surprise is The Help, mostly because of the actors support/love of that movie. In fact, the actors branch was the main reason TKS won last year over TSN, the favourite option for the tech branch. The same happened with Shakespeare in Love or Crash. I've learned to never understimate the actors feelings. And they really love The Help. They already showed that at SAG noms.

You might have a point. The Help seems to be of a similar category as Crash and Shakespeare in Love. However, The Help doesn't have much going for it precussors. But, I guess we will have to wait and see what happens at the SAG awards. But, so far, everything is looking very good for The Artist.

Right now I see

The Help

The Artist

Hugo

The Descendants

Moneyball

Midnight in Paris

I'm not sure about Dragon Tattoo or War Horse but I think they get in. I also have to wonder but it seems to be a race between the Artist and the Descendants. I wonder if those would split votes and either Hugo or the Help takes it.

• Founder / Operator

Descendants feels like this year's Up In the Air. The Artist is just too perfect for the Academy. If it wins, it'll be the most predictable Best Picture winner in a long time. If it loses, it would be the most shocking loss since...I don't know, maybe Saving Private Ryan?

Descendants feels like this year's Up In the Air. The Artist is just too perfect for the Academy. If it wins, it'll be the most predictable Best Picture winner in a long time. If it loses, it would be the most shocking loss since...I don't know, maybe Saving Private Ryan?

Crash winning over Bareback Mountain

I saw The Artist yesterday. I really liked it a lot. I wasn't sure how I would feel about it, but I felt it was pulled off well. If it wins BP, I feel it will be the best BP winner since NCFOM. Although, I don't think that is saying much since the last three BP winners werent' all that exciting. At least, not to me, anyway. And, I agree Shawn, Descendants is sort of like Up in the Air, except that Up in the Air was a much better movie overall, and I would have been okay with it winning BP. While I think Descendants is good, it is nothing that I am excited about. But, that is just me.

I'm having such a hard time getting excited about this category this year. What a bleh year.

I strongly disagree with you. This year is very exciting. There's not a lock for the win, and the race even for the nominations is wide open. It's very interesting! Last year everything was pretty much closed! We knew what would be the 10 nominees and which film would win.

Also, as I read on your site, you still have to see The Artist, The descendants or Midnight in Paris among other contenders. How can you say bleh year without seeing them?