Children of Men

28 members have voted

1. 1. Children of Men

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

As a thriller or SF, this doesn't really work for me. There's a social commentary running throughout the action which is maybe too preachy. Also, the colour palette was bleached and gives this a depressing look - as if the story wouldn't suffice.However, some aspects of this film make it well worth watching:- Cuarón's long takes. There are some of them throughout the film (one of them 10 minutes or longer), and even though most of them were not really shot in one take, they are a welcome deviation from today's fast-cut action scenes. With those long takes you're put inside the action spatially and temporally, I liked that very much.- Michael Caine. Wow.- Clive Owen. Now, Clive Owen is NOT somebody I would cast as an action star, but in "Children of Men" his cool, detached manner works because he's rather a bystander, unvoluntarily involved. He also never carries a weapon. (Compare this to King Arthur :lol: )

The story itself isn't anything special, but what elevates Children of Men to a near-masterpiece are the wizard-like direction of Alfonso Cuaron and the production design, which might be the best I've ever seen. The future we are presented is shit-your-pants scary in its accuracy and its detail. 

Great movie. Wouldn't blow Alfonso Cuaron because, you know... I have my limits.

The best scene in the movie is definitely the one where everyone just stops - including the army. Hated the fact that it ended up so abruptly.

The end felt kind of ... I don't know how to say it, but it felt awkward.

Overall, a very good movie. Cuaron is a really good director and this just proves it.

A

• Like 1

the first 20 minutes were average at best, bad exposition and nothing really important happens. It gets 110% better after those 20 insufferable minutes, Clive Owen character goes from apathetic to sympathetic, it becomes one tense ride when they stop hammering you with preachy social commentary. Cuaron is a fucking wizard, he can create scenes like very few can, those long takes are out of this world amazing and the setting feels incredibly real. One thing that bothered me was Auschwitz parallel, it was extremely unrealistic, it wouldn't happen today (let alone 20 years from now), specially in a country like England, it was even more absurd considering that England was the most civilized society at that point in time. 90/100

Raking time: I still need to watch Y tu mamá también.

Gravity 100/100Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 95/100Children of Men 90/100A Little Princess 85/100Great Expectations 75/100

Edited by Goffe R Swanson

the first 20 minutes were average at best, bad exposition and nothing important happens. Clive Owen character goes from apathetic to sympathetic, it becomes one tense ride when they stop hammering you with preachy social commentary. Yates is a fucking wizard, he can create scenes like very few can, those long takes are out of this world amazing and the setting feels incredibly real. One thing that bothered me was Auschwitz parallel, it was extremely unrealistic, it wouldn't happen today (let alone 20 years from now), specially in a country like England, it was even more absurd considering that England was the most civilized society. 90/100 Raking time: I still need to watch Y tu mamá también. Gravity 100/100Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 95/100Children of Men 90/100A Little Princess 85/100Great Expectations 75/100

Yates? Edited by DeeCee