Shawn Robbins

Wednesday #s: ANCHORMAN 2 8.1M/ It's in a glass case of emotion / Hobbit (4.855m) / CF (1.243m)

Whenever people do this doom and gloom stuff I think back to that podcast that was posted here a few years back with the guy screaming "It's all ooooovvvveeerrr! IT'S ALL OOOOOVVVVEEERRR!!!!!"

I don't remember the context, not that that matters...

It was in relation to Avengers finishing below $200M, I remember it well.

• Like 1

Well, I saw The Shining. I've got to be careful with my words here to not come across as a philistine, but it's a difficult film. I think I need to watch it a few more times. 

Edited by Merry Xmas From JackNevada
  • Like 2

Love the 20/20 revisionist history going on already by some here. Anchorman 2 was the sequel to the most beloved and quoted comedy of the past 20 years. The first one wasn't just a cult classic- it turned into a cultural sensation. AM2 was incredibly well marketed and insanely hyped- one of the most anticipated comedy sequels ever. It didn't get bad reviews, either. Of course, it could still pick up and be huge. But to say that it was always just an "overpredicted fanboy movie" is ridiculous. 

• Like 7

Love the 20/20 revisionist history going on already by some here. Anchorman 2 was the sequel to the most beloved and quoted comedy of the past 20 years. The first one wasn't just a cult classic- it turned into a cultural sensation. AM2 was incredibly well marketed and insanely hyped- one of the most anticipated comedy sequels ever. It didn't get bad reviews, either. Of course, it could still pick up and be huge. But to say that it was always just an "overpredicted fanboy movie" is ridiculous. 

LOL

That's a big no

• Founder / Operator

Pretty much agreed. It was far from just fanboys predicting big numbers for it.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

I'm really interested to see how everything holds up next week. Discount Tuesday is on Christmas eve, which is a day known for big drops. I'm really curious to see how that plays out. Maybe this year we'll get better than normal Christmas Eve drops but suppressed Christmas day grosses?

Agreed, I don't think there's any way to spin the number as not disappointing. It's still a hit for the studio, but on paper this should have broken out in a huge way

And those sequels came out two years later. Not ten years

Anchorman is different- it didn't become that huge by 2006. It just slowly, every year, through home video and TV, hit the cultural zeitgeist. I don't think a wait hurt it anymore than it helped/

Uh no. The Hangover destroys Anchorman in terms of cultural impact.

I've conceded that the Hangover is, as well as Austin Powers, Bruce Almighty, Ted, and maybe (only among everyone my age) Mean Girls, for some fucking reason are all hugely cultural impactful on a near equal level. But that doesn't mean Anchorman isn't an absolutely beloved and sensational property.

That always happens with fanboy movies that "disappoint". Some folks always act like they knew all long that it wouldn't live up to expectations.

That's the fun part about box office; you never know for sure, you only act like you do. :)

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 3

• Founder / Operator

Uh no. The Hangover destroys Anchorman in terms of cultural impact.

I do think it's hard to compare them, though. The Hangover had the slight advantage of releasing during what's become a comedy renaissance at the box office. Back in 2004, Anchorman was kinda stuck between that and the Austin Powers era. It's home video sales helped make up for it, though.