baumer

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (2013)

38 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

If you liked the first, then you will like this one.  Anchorman is a tough act to follow as it is one of the all time classics.  Some of the humour is about as esoteric as it gets but if you get it or like that kind of humour then you'll pretty much laugh your ass off.  I laughed a lot in the first 90 minutes.  I had a sore stomach from laughing so hard in the last half hour.  I am not going to spoil this for you guys but the final scene is a rumble like the first one.  The cameo's in this are insanely ridiculous.  Don't go to imdb and look them up, just go in blind.

8.5/10

• Like 4

I thought it was absolutely hysterical. I laughed so hard my ribs and my face hurt. Make no mistake- this movie is completely non-sensical, insane, and unstructured. It's more of a sci fi/fantasy film than anything at times, and it's almost like one long sketch comedy. Hell, there was a few lines that sounded like something from a Bad Lip Reading. But I loved it. If you go into it expecting the right thing, you will, too. 

• Like 2

Fucking funny, not as consistent as the first but there's barely any comedies that are so that's ok.

And the fight at the end had me rolling my eyes at the start because I just thought they were rehashing the first and then it got weirder and weirder and it was amazing.

• Like 4

Fucking funny, not as consistent as the first but there's barely any comedies that are so that's ok.

And the fight at the end had me rolling my eyes at the start because I just thought they were rehashing the first and then it got weirder and weirder and it was amazing.

The cameos in the rumble were just insane.  Kanye, Smith, Neeson, Reilly, Carrey and perhaps my favourite, Coutilard as the Quebec news anchor.  Most will not get the relevance of that but to us Canadians, it was fucking brilliant.  

• Like 1

Definitely not as good as the first (which I've seen way too many times and can endlessly quote) but still loved it. I was really happy that they saved the best parts and lines for the movie. If a scene was in the trailer, the real punch line was usually not (like the dinner scene). Also glad they cut the "vampire" bit from the actual movie. Will definitely be catching it in theaters again. Ties This Is The End as my favorite comedy of the year. I was just happy it wasn't a dissapointment after waiting so long. Dumb & Dumber To will have the same task next year.

Bottom line: If you loved the first, you probably won't leave dissapointed to see News Team 4 back in action.

8.5/10

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

I don't think it works as a movie at all... rather a two hour sketch in which you don't stop laughing. The pacing is bizarre and there are entire sections of the film that could (and probably should) have been cut without any barring to the film's "plot." At the same time, I thought maybe 95% of the jokes Ferrell and McKay wrote were hilarious. The whole entity felt like a labor of love so as a huge Anchorman fan I'm pleased we have this sequel, even if it doesn't hold its own weight as an actual movie. 

I'm really excited to see the alternate cut and rewatch the final 20 minutes. Because my GOD. Usually the film was at its best when it got weird, so the ghost of Stonewall Jackson literally absorbing the souls of news anchors was hands down my favorite part. 

Couldn't give it a grade if I wanted to. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 5

If the "I am blind" scenes had been slightly better paced, this would have been almost a perfect comedy. But those scenes just drag it down a bit. One thing I didn't like was that all the cameos never had any interaction with each other - it was obvious that not many of them were on set together. Harrison Ford just stood out as a clear green screen effect. I wouldn't be surprised if it was revealed that Ford only had one day of filming in this movie.

Overall, I did enjoy the movie a lot. Couldn't stop laughing at the crack smoking scene, and the one scene in which Brick speaks intelligently just to follow it up with "I am wearing 2 pairs of pants"

• Like 1

This was the rare movie that started great and just became funnier and funnier as it went along. I was dying laughing the whole time. I honestly thought the whole Blind Burgandy thing was one of the best parts of the movie. Probably the funniest movie I've seen this year (it or The World's End were great) A+

Oh, and the entire rumble scene was great with escalating cameos. Was insane

• Like 1

The last time I saw the first Anchorman was several years ago so after seeing the sequel I was reminded how its humor was an acquired taste.  Anchorman is not for everyone.  With that said, there are enough laughs for the GA to enjoy but I don't anticipate much mainstream success.  I don't see $100m. I think Steve Carrell's character is hit and miss.  The big battle scene is very silly.  Some of the jokes fell a bit flat.  With that said, I enjoyed the movie and would give it a B-