baumer

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

80 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

If it loped off 15 to 20 minutes it would have been my favorite film of the year. As it stands, it's somewhere in my top five after one viewing. And Leo's performance is the BEST of the year, and in competition for the best of the past five years.

• Like 1

Random tangent: Why not bring back the intermission for long movies like this one? Less showtimes, I guess, but you'd probably make up the difference with the extra concession sales

I think this is a movie in which you need a break somewhere in the middle. At least I needed to wipe the tears of laughter from my face, which was literally in pain by the time this movie finished. Maybe cut for 10 minutes a few scenes before the big setpiece with DiCaprio and the car. 

• Like 1

That academy member who chastized Scorcese to his face should lose their membership. Movies don't have to appeal to everyone but you have to allow the film makers the right to make the movie they want to make. I guess as long as a film is filled with violence and shows the horror of the real world, that's fine. But for some reason these geriatric old bats get offended when they see someone getting a blowjob. Their resignation from the academy is called for. When you are too busy trying to figure out how to send a text message or how to send a BBM maybe movies with orgies and blow is just a liitle above your comprehension.

Edited by Christmas baumer
  • Like 10

I've now seen the film twice.  I give it a B-

Positives:

Scorsese's film is an epic, three hours of every kind of cardinal sin short of murder, with characters both repulsive and entrancing, in a hysterically funny and painfully horrific saga of depravity as only Scorsese can bring.  Hill transforms himself in this film and DiCaprio gives the best performance of his career. He jumped head first into the role and there isn't one moment that you are watching this where you feel like you are watching Leonardo DiCaprio. What you are seeing on screen is Jordan Belfort. He is brave, brilliant and fearless.  Back to Jonah Hill.  I have come to the conclusion that Jonah Hill's forte is bringing chemistry to a scene.  He exudes chemistry and is one of the best supporting actors in film today and I mean that in the literal sense.  Oftentimes the supporting actors are just actors who got second billing.  They're not central to the story.  Jonah Hill supports the main lead and makes the overall film better.  Who would have thunk it several years ago?   The film is attempting to convey in the first place- these lavish lifestyles are intemperate beyond remorse and the decadence seen means exactly that never is it all apparently enough in our culture - the copious money, the gorgeous women, the sensation of drugs, and whatnot and Scorcese excels.

Negatives:

Lack of moral compass.  The parties and intoxication are normally something I love, its fun to watch people party and do drugs (at least for me). Here, the excess becomes tiresome, and that would be fine, if the film was intended to show the perils of excess. But that's not the intent. The scenes of excess go on way too long. We get it and we got it very early on. I kept waiting for a reason to care what happened to these characters and it never happens.  Also, this is one of the rare occasions when a potentially great film suffers because of its running time. I have truly never experienced so much fluff in a movie before. And what's worse it was totally unnecessary because the material was there and it was more than enough. I can't even begin to praise the merits of The Wolf of Wall Street (it did have a few) because the redundant scenes and dialogue are too much to get over. It's sort of like trying to enjoy a fine steak while tofu is being forcibly stuffed down your throat. It's all ruined. All and all what a pity. It could have been the best movie of the year if only.....

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 1

Jonas Hill really channeled Joe Pesci's role in Goodfellas here.

Welcome to the forums.  I kind of disagree with that statement.  I didn't really think of Pesci when watching Hill.

Welcome to the forums.  I kind of disagree with that statement.  I didn't really think of Pesci when watching Hill.

Well, he was sort of the outlandish character ... who did some remarkably dumb things in the film which screwed things up for other characters ... of course, Tommy was a complete sociopath.

I'm going to see this again tomorrow or Sunday ... I can't wait because it's

Posted Image

Wolf of Wall Street: There is so much to cover in this review that I really don't know where to start except this movie is probably the best movie of the year. Yes, that could still change since I haven't seen some of the other big Oscar buzz films but to me personally this has got to be the front runner. 

This true story of the rise and downfall of Jordan Belfort is so entertaining because its so messed up in so many ways. There are moments you are just flabbergasted at the very idea of any human being acting in the type of childish, cruel, and sinful behavior that this movie clearly demonstrates. This film has lots of swear words, nudity, drug use, and some violence so don't be stupid, don't watch this movie with you're family unless you want to deal with a lot of awkward moments. 

The acting here is top notch. Leonardo DiCaprio gives his best performance of his career in this film. The way DiCaprio is able to go from somewhat normal to HOLY CRAP THIS GUY IS MESSED UP IN THE HEAD and back down to somewhat alert and normal for his character all in one scene, he deserves an Oscar. The mere fact this guy hasn't won or been nominated for an Oscar yet in his career is just a shame and if that continues this year I will flip the shit out. Shout out to Jonah Hill for able to showcase how much talent he really has. He definitely has a Best Supporting Actor nomination in his future.

All in all Wolf of Wall Street is for me currently my favorite film of the year. Yes you do feel that 3 hours toward the end of the film but its completely worth the 3 hour investment. I will be shocked to not see nominations for Best Picture, Best Actor (YES I will be extremely mad if DiCaprio doesn't get that nomination), Best Supporting Actor, and Best Screenplay.

Grade: A

• Like 2

I thought the film wasn't sure whether it was a satirical spectacle or a straight up morality tale at times, but the acting was absolutely tremendous and Scorsese hasn't lost his touch as a director. Regardless of my issues with the execution, the film is certainly an experience, to say the least.

8.5/10

....aaaahhh...lol.  Yes but we can't agree on everything.  This has been a breakthrough year for our relationship.  We have liked so many of the same films this year.  We can't let Transformers drive a wedge between us.  

• Like 1

Well, he was sort of the outlandish character ... who did some remarkably dumb things in the film which screwed things up for other characters ... of course, Tommy was a complete sociopath.

I'm going to see this again tomorrow or Sunday ... I can't wait because it's

Posted Image

This is what I meant. I think both were whacked out characters. Remember Hill in the parking lot and firing the stockbroker. I just flashed on Pesci's Goofellas role watching Hill.