baumer

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

80 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

On 21 de junho de 2016 at 0:00 AM, Goffe said:

won't bother rewatching this one

well, I lied.

anyway, I thought it didn't hold up very well, my movie taste has greatly changed since 2013 I feel, and this has a frat bro quality to it that I have become incresealy intolerant in recent years.

mid-tier Scorcese, which means bad Scorcese.

Edited by Goffe

On 3/25/2014 at 11:27 PM, Lordmandeep said:

I think this film is more popular among the younger demographics... 

I don't know about that - I'm 51 & I loved it - my sister loved it & most of my friends did too.  I really enjoyed this movie - thought Leo was fabulous & cannot believe he didn't win the Oscar.  Jonah Hill was perfection & who really cracked me up though he wasn't in it much was Rob Reiner.  Just a great movie with great performances that kept me interested till the end. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ShouldIBeHere said:

How the hell did Leo not win this Oscar...

Because no one could stop the McConoissance. ;)

Seriously, though, McConaughey ticked nearly every single box for the stereotypical acting winner (played a real person, made alarming physical changes, had numerous emotionally-charged scenes), was in the midst of a huge career resurrection, and was in a film that did very well with voters - as indicated by its two other wins and the unexpected editing nomination. As soon as McConaughey began to gain momentum, it was abundantly clear that he was going to win in a landslide.

Personally, I preferred McConaughey at the time, but I've since come around to give Leo a narrow edge. Both men own their respective movies with commanding performances, but DiCaprio does it for three hours and keeps the audience invested in the character despite his complete moral bankruptcy. It's brilliant comedic work, and the irony of DiCaprio losing for his serious performances but winning for a role in which he humorously and pathetically crawls toward a car while whacked out on quaaludes would have been too delicious to pass up.

• Like 1