Neo

Despicable Me 3 | June 30, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 9

I can just go by what my nieces think of Minions and they of course are really looking forward to seeing DM3.  They also loved Minions and Sing.  And of course SLOP was their favourite.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

I can just go by what my nieces think of Minions and they of course are really looking forward to seeing DM3.  They also loved Minions and Sing.  And of course SLOP was their favourite.

Gosh darn kids liking kids movies. It's despicable.

• Like 7

The sudden passionate defending of this movie is starting to betray a certain insecurity.

If I'm wrong about the box office, oh well, I'm wrong. You guys can gloat then and I can wallow in my bitterness. But as much as you may want to dismiss reviews they've clearly been a factor with other movies this summer (or at least the word of mouth correlating with them) and I think I have enough supporting information to think this could disappoint.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Maybe because animated films were hardly ever as hyped as Minions was. 

How many animated films have opened +100m?

Minions is basically the most culturally relevant thing animation has produce in years. And to put this to an end, I don't know what you guys in America thought, but every little kid I have met loved it to death.

I

If that's what toxic WoM looks like, studios would kill to achieve it.

There is no possibility that a movie that Grosse a billi has toxic WoM.

You may not like it but kids surely did.

Toxic WoM was a joke we perpetuate throughout Minions run because we had one poster was completely hyperbolic and always negative. Same dude said that Jurassic World was crumbling on it's second weekend

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Illumination is just the smartest studio out there. Not much to discuss here.

I know right.  Keep the budgets low and make movies that people like, especially kids, and make lots of profit.  

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Maybe because animated films were hardly ever as hyped as Minions was. 

How many animated films have opened +100m?

Minions is basically the most culturally relevant thing animation has produce in years. And to put this to an end, I don't know what you guys in America thought, but every little kid I have met loved it to death.

Dory, Pets and Toy Story 3 had 3.5x+ multiples with an OW over $105M.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

The sudden passionate defending of this movie is starting to betray a certain insecurity.

If I'm wrong about the box office, oh well, I'm wrong. You guys can gloat then and I can wallow in my bitterness. But as much as you may want to dismiss reviews they've clearly been a factor with other movies this summer (or at least the word of mouth correlating with them) and I think I have enough supporting information to think this could disappoint.

That's coming from a Pixar-guy, doesn't it, lol? :P

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Reviews hardly ever are a factor with animated films.

I guess that's a known thing. 

After all, If they were Illumination wouldn't be the top studio out there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

One hundred and one ways to trigger @WrathOfHan.

I didn't care for SLOP or Minions and the DM series is not my favourite either.  But that doesn't mean I don't recognize how much kids love them and I have taken my nieces to see every Illumination film since DM2.  I thought Sing was kind of flat too.....but they love them so I take them.  I don't care what a critic says.  I care what they think.  When they came out of Sing, me and my brother just loved hearing them sing the songs on the way home.  Both of us thought Sing was ok, fine, was the word we used.  But the kids?  They loved it and that's all that matters.

• Like 4

Just now, baumer said:

I didn't care for SLOP or Minions and the DM series is not my favourite either.  But that doesn't mean I don't recognize how much kids love them and I have taken my nieces to see every Illumination film since DM2.  I thought Sing was kind of flat too.....but they love them so I take them.  I don't care what a critic says.  I care what they think.  When they came out of Sing, me and my brother just loved hearing them sing the songs on the way home.  Both of us thought Sing was ok, fine, was the word we used.  But the kids?  They loved it and that's all that matters.

I've taken my little cousins to every Illumination movie since DM2 also. Even though I disliked Minions, at least they had some fun. However Norm of The North was so godawful even the kids thought it was okay.

• Like 1

Reviews will affect legs. Older audiences have a lot of choices in July that will recieve great reviews and won't shell out the money for a movie with mixed reception. That's why Minions had shitty legs that were propped up by a weak August and early September. 

Also, Minions dropped a lot in its second weekend not just because of WOM but also due to Ant-Man taking some families away. Spider-Man is opening much bigger than that and has even more kid appeal.

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Reviews will affect legs. Older audiences have a lot of choices in July that will recieve great reviews and won't shell out the money for a movie with mixed reception. That's why Minions had shitty legs that were propped up by a weak August and early September. 

Also, Minions dropped a lot in its second weekend not just because of WOM but also due to Ant-Man taking some families away. Spider-Man is opening much bigger than that and has even more kid appeal.

Sure Spidey will cause a second weekend drop.  But that's normal.  When WallE and Wanted opened to more than 100 mill combined, Kung Fu Panda dropped 47% in its third weekend and then dropped less than 40% the next two weeks before TDK opened.  

Point is, there's plenty of room for all films if the paying customer is happy with the product.  DM3 will be fine.

The notion that "the kids like it, so it's good!" is downright terrifying. We should not have to settle for mediocre to bad kids films with bad humor just because it makes kids giggle. Animated studios need to be making stuff for the whole family and sprinkling in jokes for adults as well. Captain Underpants is one of the most juvenille ideas ever put to film, yet everyone who isn't Tele had a lot of fun with it because it was self aware and had enough for older audiences to enjoy and laugh at! Illumination films are targeting strictly towards kids and those who want "cute" in their movies. They do not aim to go beyond that, and with the amount of money they make, that's fucking scary to the film industry. Thank God pretty much every other animated studio releases quality every now and then.

• Like 3