druv10

WKND BO: Frozen $20.7M/$297.8M, Paranormal 18.2, Hobbit 16.3/229.6, Wolf 13.4 (new Sun #s pg 83)

Couldn't agree more. I don't know how the Disney executives feel comfortable allowing their name on some of that trash. I watched a bit of Disney Chanel with my nephew the other day... Boy it's really fallen apart.

It's all the same show too.

27 pages and there's maybe 2 pages of box office talk.  One of the most painful threads to read through.  For those just joining us, here are the numbers:

Deadline

PA 8.5M

Frozen 6.8m

DOS 5M

WOLF 4.3

HUSTLE 4M

ANCHOR 3.8M

BANKS 2.7M

CF 2.2-2.4

GRUDGE 1.7M

RONIN 1.5M

My thoughts:

Frozen should get to about 21 mill even with a 45% drop on Sunday.

PA5 makes a profit on the first night.  The cinemascore sucks but we have learned that it means nothing.  With an 8.5 mill first day, it actually might get to 20.  The midnight for this is obviously a lot less than the other films so the rush factor to this might not be as big.

DOS once again doesn't have a good or a bad increase, it is what it is.  We all know the range at this point so the number is neither shocking or disappointing.  It just is.

Wolf is having good WOM and not only does it have a chance at 100 but it could go higher.

Hustle is doing well.

Anchorman passes 100 and now makes a play for 140.

Grudge Match looks like it could do 5.5 and that would be a 22% drop.  It's too bad the interest wasn't there as it is a very good film and the drop shows that there is good wom with it, just not enough people care about it.

• Like 7

27 pages and there's maybe 2 pages of box office talk.  One of the most painful threads to read through.  For those just joining us, here are the numbers: DeadlinePA 8.5MFrozen 6.8mDOS 5MWOLF 4.3HUSTLE 4MANCHOR 3.8MBANKS 2.7MCF 2.2-2.4GRUDGE 1.7MRONIN 1.5M My thoughts: Frozen should get to about 21 mill even with a 45% drop on Sunday. PA5 makes a profit on the first night.  The cinemascore sucks but we have learned that it means nothing.  With an 8.5 mill first day, it actually might get to 20.  The midnight for this is obviously a lot less than the other films so the rush factor to this might not be as big. DOS once again doesn't have a good or a bad increase, it is what it is.  We all know the range at this point so the number is neither shocking or disappointing.  It just is. Wolf is having good WOM and not only does it have a chance at 100 but it could go higher. Hustle is doing well. Anchorman passes 100 and now makes a play for 140. Grudge Match looks like it could do 5.5 and that would be a 22% drop.  It's too bad the interest wasn't there as it is a very good film and the drop shows that there is good wom with it, just not enough people care about it.

Thanks for posting this. I really didn't want to go through every page and I was just about to ask someone to post these. Nice to see frozen is looking like its number 1
  • Like 1

Isn't there a conversation topic somewhere? Anyway, Frozen should take #1 for the weekend. Though it's going to fall short of $300 million on sunday.

And then look for it to drop close to 90% once the Nut Job op....pftttt lol I can't believe I typed that
  • Like 2

Kinda off topic again but GODDAMN 2013 was a good movie year. It was better than 2012 and that's saying something. 

It was good but better than 2012? Naah. Summer was pretty weakass and fall/winter had to do all the heavylifting. 2012 was uniformly awesome!

I don't think their mocking the Disney playbook.  But more like a comedic version Once Upon a Time mixed with action at the end.  

I like Enchanted quite a bit myself and i guess its more an homage and modernization of standard disney tropes than mocking. Both male lead characters get their princesses there is still a clear villain and there are some pretty neat musical numbers (a pitty that Idina Menzel does not participate in any of them ;) )... Frozen goes a step further in most of those respects. In the eyes of some critics this might have harmed its narrative structure a little but overall i think it was a brave thing for the creators of the movie to do and most decisions paid off in the end (especially box office wise).

Elsa has no love interest at all, there is no real main villain (yes hans is villaneous but this kind of hidden villany is completely different from what we are used to in disney movies), the act of true love is not romantic in nature, and while there is a romance for Anna i had the feeling that it was more of a slow burner. Yea after one day they like each other, but there is no talk about marrying already... also i think the whole sleigh scene plays out at least one or two days after the big finale... i would assume that they are allowed to exchange bodily fluids at that point

:P  also Kristoff asks for permission before his kiss which is something noteworthy a few blogs have picked up on

In contrast Shrek for example is actually mocking disney :)

Btw regarding wolf of wallstreet and word of mouth... at least search traffic wise this movie is currently dominating google trends (together with frozen). Do you think it could inch ahead of DoS in the coming weeks?

Edited by chuck0
  • Like 1