luna

BO.com 100 Greatest Directors (closed now)

Well, I included Duncan Jones, Slyvain Chomet and Mamoru Hosoda because I just really like their movies. I know they still have a lot to prove, but in my opinion they are some of the most promising new directors we have these days. And yes, I do think 'Moon' is a masterpiece.

I did consider body of work while ranking the names, but in the end I prioritized my favorite ones. I mean, of course Tarantino and Fincher are more "important" and influential directors than Naomi Kawase, but I love her way of directing and she creates an atmosphere that I can only get from her movies. I wasn't worried about ranking the best directors ever, I wanted to rank my favorite directors, the ones considered the best will be the ones most mentioned anyway.

But in the end these list are all about the best we know, right? I mean, I can include directors I don't know.

Spielberg? I've seen 2 movies and one (War Horse) was terrible.

Bergman? Only one.

Coppola, Clint Eastwood, Kurosawa? Not a single one.

Yeah, it's weird to see Duncan Jones above them, but...

• Like 5

That's cool Johnny.  We all have our opinions and if you have only seen 2 Spielberg films and Warshorse is one of them, then no wonder he is not on your list.

This list from all of us will spark debate and that's always a good thing.

• Like 2

Lets not forget the that Spielberg, Cameron and even Nolan have said on numerous occasions how they are huge Bay fans and even Cameron has admitted to studying the way he films his action scenes in the hope of learning a thing or 2. Even the great directors of our time agree with you Baumer ;)

I dont remember a single article saying they did that. I think you were making this up for the sake of argument. I'm sure they respect Bay as a fellow director, but you dont have to bullsh*t to make your point, unless of cause you provide one or two reliable links that is.

I dont remember a single article saying they did that. I think you were making this up for the sake of argument. I'm sure they respect Bay as a fellow director, but you dont have to bullsh*t to make your point, unless of cause you provide one or two reliable links that is.

If I told you that Christopher Nolan loves Michael Bay movies, would you believe me?

Looks like you may not have a choice. According to an interview with Inceptioncinematographer Wally Pfister, it’s fact. Read what he had to say about Nolan’s love affair with Bay’s films after the break.

Cinematical scored the interview. Here’s the relevant excerpt:

“…there are the movies out there that he loves and I hate. I’m not a big Michael Bay fan. Chris loves Michael Bay’s movies. And so I’m always like come on, dude! But he sees something in it, and I don’t see it.”

Pfister has worked with Nolan on every film he’s made since Memento, so I think we can trust him on this. The question I find myself wondering is: Should we even care? Without hearing Nolan’s reasoning behind why he enjoys the work of Michael Bay, it’s unclear what specifically he sees in it that you or I may not. And even if he likes Bay’s movies for a reason as simple as, “They have cool explosions,” why should we begrudge him that? Nolan has already more than proven himself as a crafty, meticulous filmmaker with a keen sense for storytelling, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with him also having an appreciation for the less sophisticated side of cinema, which also has its merits—however philistine those merits may be.

http://www.slashfilm.com/christopher-nolan-loves-watching-michael-bay-movies/

Edited by #ED

If I told you that Christopher Nolan loves Michael Bay movies, would you believe me?

Looks like you may not have a choice. According to an interview with Inceptioncinematographer Wally Pfister, it’s fact. Read what he had to say about Nolan’s love affair with Bay’s films after the break.

Cinematical scored the interview. Here’s the relevant excerpt:

“…there are the movies out there that he loves and I hate. I’m not a big Michael Bay fan. Chris loves Michael Bay’s movies. And so I’m always like come on, dude! But he sees something in it, and I don’t see it.”

Pfister has worked with Nolan on every film he’s made since Memento, so I think we can trust him on this. The question I find myself wondering is: Should we even care? Without hearing Nolan’s reasoning behind why he enjoys the work of Michael Bay, it’s unclear what specifically he sees in it that you or I may not. And even if he likes Bay’s movies for a reason as simple as, “They have cool explosions,” why should we begrudge him that? Nolan has already more than proven himself as a crafty, meticulous filmmaker with a keen sense for storytelling, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with him also having an appreciation for the less sophisticated side of cinema, which also has its merits—however philistine those merits may be.

http://www.slashfilm.com/christopher-nolan-loves-watching-michael-bay-movies/

Of cause I know this article (from a few years ago). But Jessie said Nolan said that on numerous occasions, and I fail to see that part. The fact is Nolan never openly said once. All we know is from Pfister's words. (Not saying he was lying.)

And there's no article to suggest that Spielberg and Cameron are HUGE BAY FANS. Not to mention "they said on numerous occasions", or "Cameron admitting to study Bay's films." WTF??

You just make your point. You dont bullshit, cause that'd make your argument useless.

Edited by vc2002

Its not like other big name directors would ever publicly trash one of their peers anyways so the whole "hey, those guys complimented Michael Bay, so there must be something there!" stuff is crap.

Nolan has praised Bay without being asked about him.  Cameron has publicly sang his praises as well.  And Spielberg hired him to do Transformers.

Well, I included Duncan Jones, Slyvain Chomet and Mamoru Hosoda because I just really like their movies. I know they still have a lot to prove, but in my opinion they are some of the most promising new directors we have these days. And yes, I do think 'Moon' is a masterpiece. I did consider body of work while ranking the names, but in the end I prioritized my favorite ones. I mean, of course Tarantino and Fincher are more "important" and influential directors than Naomi Kawase, but I love her way of directing and she creates an atmosphere that I can only get from her movies. I wasn't worried about ranking the best directors ever, I wanted to rank my favorite directors, the ones considered the best will be the ones most mentioned anyway. But in the end these list are all about the best we know, right? I mean, I can include directors I don't know.Spielberg? I've seen 2 movies and one (War Horse) was terrible.Bergman? Only one.Coppola, Clint Eastwood, Kurosawa? Not a single one.Yeah, it's weird to see Duncan Jones above them, but...

I'm sorry, I did go a little too hard on you ;)

FYC.

Posted Image

1992 Reservoir Dogs
1994 Pulp Fiction
1997 Jackie Brown
2003 Kill Bill: Vol. 1
2004 Kill Bill: Vol. 2
2007 Death Proof
2009 Inglourious Basterds
2012 Django Unchained

Baumer spoke earlier about body of work... I mean, just look at QT's filmography and tell me if the great man doesn't deserve to be in the Top 10. Yeah, you could argue that Death Proof is a dud (I like it tho), but the rest of his films range from great to masterpiece. Even Death Proof, his worst, is 10 times better than most other directors' worst movies.

So don't vote for some old geezer because society tells you to, or because you think it will make you look smart (it wont). Vote QT because it is the right thing to do!

And God bless America, and no place else!

• Like 1

Of cause I know this article (from a few years ago). But Jessie said Nolan said that on numerous occasions, and I fail to see that part. The fact is Nolan never openly said once. All we know is from Pfister's words. (Not saying he was lying.) And there's no article to suggest that Spielberg and Cameron are HUGE BAY FANS. Not to mention "they said on numerous occasions", or "Cameron admitting to study Bay's films." WTF?? You just make your point. You dont bullshit, cause that'd make your argument useless.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/the_greatest_hits_of_the_michael_bay_oral_history_by_gqI found this in one search, next time actually check before calling someone a bullshitter. Btw it's in the second paragraph"James cameron has reverse engineered them"So yeah, apologies?

FYC.

Posted Image

1992 Reservoir Dogs
1994 Pulp Fiction
1997 Jackie Brown
2007 Death Proof
2012 Django Unchained

Baumer spoke earlier about body of work... I mean, just look at QT's filmography and tell me if the great man doesn't deserve to be in the Top 10. Yeah, you could argue that Death Proof is a dud (I like it tho), but the rest of his films range from great to masterpiece. Even Death Proof, his worst, is 10 times better than most other directors' worst movies.

So don't vote for some old geezer because society tells you to, or because you think it will make you look smart (it wont). Vote QT because it is the right thing to do!

FYC.

Posted Image

1992 Reservoir Dogs
1994 Pulp Fiction
1997 Jackie Brown
2007 Death Proof
2012 Django Unchained

Pulp Fiction and Django Unchained are great and I LOVE the Kill Bill movies.

Reservoir Dogs is shit IMO and Jackie Brown, Inglorious Bastards, and Death Proof are okay.