baumer

Whatever Happened To....?

For me it's Christian Slater. He was in the same league as Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise in the late 80's and early 90's.  And now, he's basically a tv series worst nightmare.  His last three tv series have been cancelled within the first season.  I don't know what happened to him.  I tend to think that 10 years from now Orlando Bloom will be in the same position as Slater.

Actors who got a break on an ensemble movie (like the LOTR actors), I didn't expect to become big breakout stars.  I think Orlando Bloom only managed it because he was also in the Pirates movies.  

• Like 1

Everyone should go take a look at the covers for Vanity Fair's yearly Hollywood Issue since the beginning 20 years ago, especially the "ingenue" covers. It's pretty interesting looking back at the people who went on to big things and those who have pretty much faded into obscurity.

Edited by filmlover

The main lesson of this thread is that there aren't enough films produced in Hollywood for every actor to be succesful in the long term.

Very few actors manage to stay relevant for decades.

Hollywood is insanely competitive. A lot of pretenders but very few chosen ones who hit gold.

I remember a candid interview of Gemma Arterton about this : she said that she meets all the other actresses of her age group at parties and kinda pretends she s friends with all of them but behind the scenes, it is a horrible competion to get parts, every actress knows every project being made in town and the competition is ugly and hard.

I am sure a lot of actresses cursed at Kstew, Jlaw or Woodley when they got the part for their big franchises ...

Edited by The Futurist

william baldwin  oh crap i was going to say he's a big syfy movie star but that would be stephen baldwin !

those baldwin siblings so confusing , good thing alec stays above the fray so you can easily spot him 

Yea, offhand I couldn't tell you what William Baldwin has done.  I too get confused.

How about Haley Joel Osment?

Where's Meg Ryan gone? and Julia Roberts.

Meg Ryan is in her own world. She's absolutely destroyed her career and her face.

Posted Image

Julia Roberts is doing well, though. She's been in successful films and was nominated for an Oscar last year.