47 members have voted

1. 1. Se7en

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

You saw this in the theaters? Maan I envy you... 

Yeah, it was especially crazy because Fincher's wasn't a name at all. I knew he had done ALIEN 3 but I didn't like that. My girlfriend and I went in expecting just a typical procedural/cops chasing a killer movie. Jesus, it was insanely settling! :lol:

Yes, I remember seeing it in the theaters too.  I remember seeing Andrew Kevin Walker's name more than Fincher's as the writing in the film is what blew me away.  

The one exchange between Freeman and Pitt where he tells Pitt about a guy getting his eyes cut out during a robbery, really stuck with me.

Yeah, it was especially crazy because Fincher's wasn't a name at all. I knew he had done ALIEN 3 but I didn't like that. My girlfriend and I went in expecting just a typical procedural/cops chasing a killer movie. Jesus, it was insanely settling! :lol:

Perfect date movie. :D

I also love the way it caps off with that Hemingway quote. No bullshit Hollywood happy ending here.

There was apparently a lot of discussion about whether it should have ended with that POV shot from the helicopter of Mills having just killed Doe, but even Fincher eventually thought that was too bleak to be the final frame.

I saw it in theaters too and ironically enough saw the film on a date, though I didn't marry the girl.  I just remembered looking at each other when it was over......and TOTALLY MAKING OUT!!!  HIGH FIVE!!!!!

No we just sort of sat there in silence.

• Like 3

I read on the IMDb trivia that Fincher and Walker intended that helicopter POV shot to be the final one, but the test audiences reacted poorly to it and New Line forced them to add that small epilogue with the "worth fighting for" line. Fincher (and Morgan Freeman) went for the compromise, but neither really cared for the scene. 

Personally I could have done without it too (although it in no way diminishes the film), but I like that tiny bit where we're shown Pitt's face and he looks absolutely detached, like he lost any grip he had on reality. 

• Like 1

while some parts might be all too conventional, while there was some needless filler, and while one might get tired of seeing yet another entry in the long line of films that force all of their wisdoms into morgan freeman's mouth, this is still a gripping crime thriller. the final 20 minutes are fantastic, and probably increased my score by 10 points. the soundtrack is unfortunately awful.

• Like 1

I saw this the same year i saw usual suspects..... 2002. that year i saw so many Spacey movies he became one of my favourites of all time. So i put on se7en thinking yh i know everyone who is in it....than suddenly Spacey pops up on the screen. I punched the air! the film became even better with him in it.

As for the ending...wow. That takes guts 

My only complaints are the lack of chemistry between Pitt and Paltrow, the slightly slow middle section and the predictable ending. I thought the revelation became a possibility when it was revealed that the photographer mills chases away was Doe. Seems a plot hole that Doe had a picture of Mills and that his wife was not placed under some kind of protection.

Fantastic movie. Incredible score. Impactful ending despite its predictability.

90/100

btw I don't agree with the film's pessimistic vision of the world. The society is only getting better with time.
Edited by Goffe Ascending