47 members have voted

1. 1. Se7en

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

My favorite movie of all time. Factually one of the greatest movies of all time, period. Some of the best performances in the careers of the star studded cast (especially in Spacey's case). Masterful dialogue and world building. Grizzly, unafraid to shock - but its shock aren't unearned or done for the hell of it; they have a place within the narrative and within the movie's whole purpose: to put the viewer to think about the world that surrounds him. Is it one of the most cynical films ever created? Absolutely. But cutting to the chase here, as far as filmmaking is concerned, this is a masterpiece. Fincher's masterpiece, more precisely. And I love most of his work - Fight Club, Zodiac, Social Network, Dragon Tattoo, Gone Girl... all incredible. Se7en puts them all to shame, and that's saying something.

So proud of this baby doing nearly 200M adjusted in America (almost crazy to think about this kind of BO success for an original, shockingly violent R-rated mystery thriller).

I just watched this yesterday. Wow. Everything about the movie. It was so... I don't know. From the tone to the actors to even the colour, it all created such an atmosphere. Every scene was worth seeing. Brad Pitt, morgan and spacey were all so good. And so many things were so unexpected. And the ending. I had heard and read that it was one of the most disturbing/moving/sort-of-traumatizing endings ever and that really raised my expectations. Even though I really didn't want to, I was looking for clues all around the place for what the ending is going to hold. And yet I only got it when Morgan looked up from the box and directly at Mills. I really did wonder early in the movie as to what role Gwenyth will have. I was confident enough in Fincher to doubtlessly believe that he will not just introduce a character unless of some need (even the reporter ended up having a purpose!). But i thought maybe it was just to get them both to be friends. I know we got the baby reveal after that but the following events of the movie got me too invested in them to give that a thought or even remember it. So, yeah the ending got me. Fincher did use the pregnant-mother card though which instantly (or as soon as I got back to thinking) reminded me of Gone Girl's jab at that. Amazing movie.

I have a few questions though. The foremost one being the Sloth guy. How was he a lazy guy? So he was a drug dealer and a pedarast. Whats so...slothy about that?

And the subway under the home thing. What was its importance to the film? Again I am trusting Fincher on that actually having some meaning but I am not getting it. Did it simply make it easier for doe to kill tracy? So that it would cover up her screams which was important maybe so that her being killed gets by unnoticed (god, I just realized why they made tracy say - "I don't know anyone here" or something to that) ?

And final thing. Mills as Wrath. His fate didn't fit in with all the others. How did his wrath ruin him like all the other sinner's sins ruined them? He didn't die. He would probably not even be really jailed; he killed someone who, apart from all the other deeds that clearly meant he was going to executed anyway, killed his wife, and she was a pregnant american, and clearly agitated him. I mean he would be jailed probably but he will get away with a very short, just-out-of-formality, sentence. Maybe it was just that he would go insane after the trauma and/or lose his career? Doesn't seem even close to the fate of the rest of them. Maybe doe let him go with just that because the wrath was brought out (not about, though) by him and/or because he really admired him? I don't know...

So anyone can help me with these?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infernus said:

I have a few questions though. The foremost one being the Sloth guy. How was he a lazy guy? So he was a drug dealer and a pedarast. Whats so...slothy about that?

He didn't work or contribute anything to society and just lived off other people's misery. 

And the subway under the home thing. What was its importance to the film? Again I am trusting Fincher on that actually having some meaning but I am not getting it. Did it simply make it easier for doe to kill tracy? So that it would cover up her screams which was important maybe so that her being killed gets by unnoticed (god, I just realized why they made tracy say - "I don't know anyone here" or something to that) ?

I actually never considered that but it makes sense too. But first and foremost, it just adds to the general terrible atmosphere - this is a city where you can't be fully comfortable and at peace even in your home.

And final thing. Mills as Wrath. His fate didn't fit in with all the others. How did his wrath ruin him like all the other sinner's sins ruined them? He didn't die. He would probably not even be really jailed; he killed someone who, apart from all the other deeds that clearly meant he was going to executed anyway, killed his wife, and she was a pregnant american, and clearly agitated him. I mean he would be jailed probably but he will get away with a very short, just-out-of-formality, sentence. Maybe it was just that he would go insane after the trauma and/or lose his career? Doesn't seem even close to the fate of the rest of them. Maybe doe let him go with just that because the wrath was brought out (not about, though) by him and/or because he really admired him? I don't know...

You get at it yourself. Considering the circumstances I think the judge(s) and the public would be pretty sympathetic to him, but that's beside the point - his wife and unborn child were brutally murdered. Even if he doesn't go insane, he's gonna be haunted by it his entire life - by that and by the knowledge that he let Doe off easily by killing him. In all likelihood he's gonna be a depressed wreck, maybe he'll even kill himself. No matter what happens Doe's ruined his life. 

• Like 2

Besides that reasoning, it's also symbolism for him being bound to a bed the same way that the children he raped were (most likely).

The only real question I have about the film is regarding the Greed killing. How exactly is cutting off a pound of one's own flesh payment for greed? Is it like a "noble" self-sacrifice type thing that a greedy person would never do? I'm only asking since this has always been the only killing whose symoblic meaning never immediately clicked w/me, unlike all the others.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2016 at 11:49 AM, MCKillswitch123 said:

The only real question I have about the film is regarding the Greed killing. How exactly is cutting off a pound of one's own flesh payment for greed?

It's a reference to Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice. 

• Like 1

Yeah this was said in the movie too. A character of the book (one of the best of Shakespeare's), Shylock, has, unfairly so though, become a symbol of greed. He asked for a pound of flesh from another character as the penalty for not being able to pay back a loan taken from him. The matter was taken to court where it was completely turned against him so much so that he had to give up all his wealth and only got out living because that other character pardoned him.

• Like 1

Se7en is a great pulpy time. At points it seems over-the-top, but then the viewer realizes the over-the-top moments are the best parts of the movie. Freeman and Pitt have great chemistry, and both characters are compelling (although personally, I found Freeman's character more fascinating). The best performance though belongs to the "guest star" whose relatively short role is made the most of, and is worth relishing. The third act is excellent thanks to him, and also extremely well-done tension through editing and direction. The title sequence is a highlight too, along with the closing credits as well; both are given more craft than typical. Fincher's direction is rocky at points (the tone has some really odd hiccups and the pacing sometimes feels off), but ultimately, it's a strong second feature. Se7en has been labeled a modern classic often, and it lives up to that hype, being incredibly thrilling even if one has been spoiled on the ending. B+

Please note: the DVD skipped around quite a bit during this. I look forward to rewatching it with a better disc.

• Like 1

Se7en is one of the best movies in Thriller genre! Loved it. Freeman stands out as a lonely cop! definitely my pick in terms of performance

Suspense is maintained till last 20-25mins which is why this movie excels to an larger extent! Pitts and Freemans chemistry is good also one major reason why movie holds together even though it has few loose ends!

8/10 Must Watch!