Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

Well regardless Goodfellas is still better than the nominees this year**Please apply this to next year and the next year and the year after. And then retroactively apply it to past nominees

• Like 1

I never said prick. I said pretentious. I'm not saying he's a jerk.

I'll agree with this. And, hey, if the movies are deserving of the Oscar, why rob them just to make it a surprise?

Well not all the winners were necessarily worthy of their Oscars (Ahem, Gatsby)

btw, Joe Mantegna tweeted out a lousy omission from the In Memorium segment: they didn't include Dennis Farina. I know they can't include everyone who died, but seriously, he was a big enough name (in movies too!) I would've thought he'd be there. Too bad.

They definitely should have included him. Who can forget his character in Goodfellas?

• Like 2

Actually, the Academy tends not to screw over films like 12YAS. As a matter of fact, this is the typical type of film to win BP. Now, sci-fi on the other hand has been screwed over since the dawn of time.

A science fiction film will win one of these days. I'm a huge huge SF fan and GRAVITY not winning doesn't seem a big deal. It got a ton of recognition and credit and awards... including Best Director (!) which is really big.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Steve McQueen comes across pretentious as well every time I see in-depth interviews with him. Didn't stop them from nominating him.

Well true. But it might have stopped him from winning. :P

Well not all the winners were necessarily worthy of their Oscars (Ahem, Gatsby)

Eh, you can argue that but that's not the point I was trying to make which is: upsets for the sake of an upset is bad.

I mean that didn't stop me from wanting it to happen but hey, I don't always want what's best. I'm a human being.

Edited by Water Bottle

btw, Joe Mantegna tweeted out a lousy omission from the In Memorium segment: they didn't include Dennis Farina. I know they can't include everyone who died, but seriously, he was a big enough name (in movies too!) I would've thought he'd be there. Too bad.

We really lost too many familiar artists those last 14 months. I was baffled to see so much big names featured in the In Memoriam segment.

• Like 2

"Sci-Fi" is just a shortened slang term for science fiction. But make no mistake, GRAVITY was science fiction (alternate reality set in the near future).

Except doesn't all of the technology used in the movie actually exist? I could be wrong about this, but I didn't see how it was even science fiction. I thought of it more as a thriller set in space. 

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Gatsby was awesome to look at, but the costumes and production design didn't match the era at all.

Well I guess you agree Gravity shouldn't have won BP because it's science wasn't accurate?

We really lost too many familiar artists those last 14 months. I was baffled to see so much big names featured in the In Memoriam segment.

So, does anyone know if that Ray Dolby guy that was shown was the inventor of Dolby Sound?

Actually, the Academy tends not to screw over films like 12YAS. As a matter of fact, this is the typical type of film to win BP. Now, sci-fi on the other hand has been screwed over since the dawn of time.

Clone there has never been a serious film dealin with slavery or with black filmmakers that the oscars have given best picture too in all of its 86s years...Are you kidding man??  lol

Yeah, pretty shocking. Shirley Temple was the one that caught me off-guard. Didn't even realize she had passed. Her being alive was kind of like a security blanket, something you take for granted. We're all getting old. Fuck, 10 years ago I graduated high school. Can't believe it.

• Like 1