Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

I think if Inside Out, Finding Dory and the Day of the Dead movie are as good as we can expect from the guys that gave us Monsters, Inc./Up, Finding Nemo/Wall-E and Toy Story 3, respectively, then Pixar is coming back for its awards two-three years from now. This way it's even better for them to sit 2014 out so that Inside Out will be seen even more as the return of "classic" Pixar. 

I think if Inside Out, Finding Dory and the Day of the Dead movie are as good as we can expect from the guys that gave us Monsters, Inc./Up, Finding Nemo/Wall-E and Toy Story 3, respectively, then Pixar is coming back for its awards two-three years from now. This way it's even better for them to sit 2014 out so that Inside Out will be seen even more as the return of "classic" Pixar. 

At least Inside Out for once appears to be proceeding relatively drama-free. Hopefully it'll be done in plenty of time for release.

• Like 2

The Lone Ranger's effects are impressive and practical effects at that.

Don't kid yourself too much, Lone Ranger is an ILM CGI fest.

Just check out this reel just for the digital backgrounds and CG environment. Now imagine all the CG stunts doubles, CG trains, actors face swapping and various CG enhancements all over the place that are not touched upon.

• Like 2

I would say, that things may be shaping up for a Gravity win which would absolutely thrill me.

The lack of a cinematography nomination for 12 Years was suspicious.  Things seem split up enough were Gravity could sneak in there and pull it out.

Agree! I wish it was nominated for Original Screenplay but it can still win without a nomination like Titanic. The Internet backlash seems to be directed now to American Hustle. I really think this movie has a shot for BP win :D

Don't kid yourself too much, Lone Ranger is an ILM CGI fest.

Just check out this reel just for the digital backgrounds and CG environment. Now imagine all the CG stunts doubles, CG trains, actors face swapping and various CG enhancements all over the place that are not touched upon.

Yes but the scenes with practical effects were executed well and the standout IMHO. And that was probably the one they showcased in the bakeoff competition for the shortlisted movies so that's why they made the cut.

Edited by forg

Brave still won though but it was the highest grossing animated film last year so that gave it an edge

Yeah but look at what it was versing, not exactly stellar competition

Wow I did not realize how much of Lone Ranger was CGI, testament to blending skill.

Edited by eXtacy

Yeah but look at what it was versing, not exactly stellar competition

Wreck It Ralph, Frankenweenie and ParaNorman had better critical reception overall than DM2 and The Croods, the competition last year was actually tight.

• Like 1

Wreck It Ralph, Frankenweenie and ParaNorman had better critical reception overall than DM2 and The Croods, the competition last year was actually tight.

I thought all them were extremely average movies. Weak year for animation.

speaking of cinematography

Gonna dl the Grandmaster now

Too bad I didnt have time to see it in theaters as I intended to

Unfortunately most of the rips out there are from the Hong Kong Blu-ray, which is maybe the worst transfer ever created for a new film. All that great cinematography is just ruined. The French Blu-ray has a much better transfer but it doesn't have any English options.

• Like 1

LOL @ these nominations. I haven't seen half of these movies nominated. And since Bruehl is out I'm just rooting for Leo to win on general principal. And I guess Cate too since she was robbed by Weinstein way back when. But this is the Academy and they'll pick who THEY want. And look at Jennifer go! Wow.

Oh and I wouldn't be mad if Amy won. She's has always been great but always came up against stiff competition. Wasn't she and Viola Davis nominated in the same category for the same movie? And then she had to come up against Melissa Leo another co star. 

Edited by ECSTASY

If JLaw wins, it will be the youngest actor/actress ever to have two wins.

Luise Rainer was 28 for The Good Earth's win (1937)

Jodie Foster was 29 for Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Hilary Swank was 30 for Million Dollar Baby (2004)

Also, she's already the youngest ever to have three acting nominations. She has 23 years.  Teresa Wright was 24 when she received her 2nd & 3rd nominations simultaneously in 1942

Congrats!

If JLaw wins, it will be the youngest actor/actress ever to have two wins.

Luise Rainer was 28 for The Good Earth's win (1937)

Jodie Foster was 29 for Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Hilary Swank was 30 for Million Dollar Baby (2004)

Also, she's already the youngest ever to have three acting nominations. She has 23 years.  Teresa Wright was 24 when she received her 2nd & 3rd nominations simultaneously in 1942

Congrats!

The Good Earth was a horrible movie, lol. Jodie Foster in the Accused was ridiculous. She is one of my favorite actresses. And Whatever happened to Hilary Swank?

And what Jennifer Lawrence is doing is incredible. I don't think I've ever seen a star rise so quickly. No doubt THG has a lot to do with it. But she's been on a steady course of success since Winters Bone.  

you know futurist its very possible to dislike AH just based on fact its not that good really on its own and suffers when compared to other movies that are just leagues better than it in all aspect 

at the very least last year even though i was rooting all the way for ARGO , Lincoln was a worthy adversary which i also liked just not as much as Argo 

I understand you can't love every movie but I don't know, it is the way some people talk about AH,as if it wasn't deserving more recognition than the Chipmunks 3 or something.

No biggie though.