Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

It's that time of year when you start getting articles featuring anonymous Academy members who reveal how and why they voted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/20/an-oscar-voter-spills-secrets-on-woodygate-wolfgate-and-awards-scandals.html

Not trying to sound rude, but this person has the worst tastes!  Especially this:

Here’s the important category: Best Song. Is it “Let It Go” from Frozenor the U2 song from Mandela?

I voted for the one from Despicable Me 2. I didn’t think any of them are really great.

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Not trying to sound rude, but this person has the worst tastes!  Especially this:

Here’s the important category: Best Song. Is it “Let It Go” from Frozenor the U2 song from Mandela?

I voted for the one from Despicable Me 2. I didn’t think any of them are really great.

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Funnily enough Happy (the DM2 song) has all of a sudden turned into a massive hit. It barely missed out at #1 on the Hot 100 this week, and it's sitting pretty atop the iTunes chart. If the Oscars wanted to go with the biggest hit, they would actually give it to that.

• Like 1

According to AD forum, in the final race against Gravity 12 YAS supporters ( critics, pundits, Fox Searchlist) are pushing the guilt, importance angle for 12YAS to secure wins for best pic & Supporting actress for Lupita.

Can't say I am surprised since thats how I felt about this movie from day one : " you must see this movie, if not, we ll question your morals as a citizen of the world who fights for equality among the human race".

This movie is IMPORTANT, got it ?

Edited by The Futurist

It's that time of year when you start getting articles featuring anonymous Academy members who reveal how and why they voted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/20/an-oscar-voter-spills-secrets-on-woodygate-wolfgate-and-awards-scandals.html

:rofl:

Whoever it is, this guy is a dick.

No love for Jennifer Lawrence?

I remember her. To me, she was fine. But my son said he read the real story and the Bale character’s real wife was 15 years older than him, not this hot young girl. God, it would have made so much more sense if she’s older and he meets this woman, who in real life is really British. It would have made more sense that he left an older woman for Amy Adams. By the way, Amy had no boobs in that dress. A beautiful dress, but she’s flat chested.

• Like 1

According to AD forum, in the final race against Gravity 12 YAS supporters ( critics, pundits, Fox Searchlist) are pushing the guilt, importance angle for 12YAS to secure wins for best pic & Supporting actress for Lupita.

Can't say I am surprised since thats how I felt about this movie from day one : " you must see this movie, if not, we ll question your morals as a citizen of the world who fights for equality among the human race".

This movie is IMPORTANT, got it ?

Ok. Here's your cookie. 

• Like 2

Funnily enough Happy (the DM2 song) has all of a sudden turned into a massive hit. It barely missed out at #1 on the Hot 100 this week, and it's sitting pretty atop the iTunes chart. If the Oscars wanted to go with the biggest hit, they would actually give it to that.

That has to do with it being the single to the new album, that doesn't mean it's a bigger hit or more popular than Let it Go.  

(Let it go having over 100m youtube views speaks for it)

Also, I always thought Original Song should go to the song that did the best at enhancing the film and not necessarily the most popular song or best song.  Which in that case Let It God definitely would deserve the win (With Moon Song in second).

Honestly the Oscars tend to do what I said above, look at recent winners

2013: Skyfall, definitely served the movie very well (despite also being the most popular), and it really captured the soul of 007.

2012: Man or a Muppet, it didn't have much competition but it also won based on its merit to benefiting the movie.

2011: This is an exception mostly because it was Randy Newman, and as an end credits song it really worked to capture the Toy Story vibe (Although I do think Tangled should have won here)

2010: Fairly weak year, but the winner was a song that worked on adding depth to the movie.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

The theme of the Oscars this year is superheroes and heroes in movies.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/02/21/oscar-producers-academy-awards-plans/

Sounds like a better theme for next year, or last year but it should still be interesting.  Honestly, I don't get the point of these Oscar themes but whatever.

• Like 3

Yo Futurist, do you really feel that way about the movie, or is it just because you want American Hustle/JLaw to win?

And why is it problematic if a movie is really good and has an important message to boot?

I just don't like forced moral lessons and a lot of critics, Fox Searchlight have used the idea of the importance of the movie because of the subject matter of the movie.

Also, I find it too easy to judge the past with the morals and values of today. If you were born in 1744,maybe we(you) would have thought slavery was a normal thing, that s just how things evolved in those times, and children were raised to think that way. But in 2013,telling me Slavery is bad ? No shit ! It would be way more ballsy to adress racial issues in America in 2013 where most people in prison in America are black and hispanic. Just look at unemployment rates in black neighborhoods in the big cities of America.

I have nothing against 12YAS as a movie. I am just fed up with the moral lessons of people who talk about it and promote it : " Go see it or be an insensitive human being !"

Oh and human misery giving hard-ons to Steve McQueen is a factor too.

I really wonder what his fourth film will be about : genocide, torture, incest : take your pick from Mr King of Pain.

Jlaw won last year, AH may come home empty handed, I could care less.

If anything, a Gravity sweep would be cool.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1