Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

predictions

picture; 12 years a slave

director; alfonso cuaron

actor; matthew mcconaughey

actress; cate blanchett

supp actor; jared leto

supp actress; jennifer lawrence

o screenplay; her

a screenplay; 12 years a slave

production design; the great gatsby

cinematography; gravity

costumes; great gatsby

editing; captain phillips

score; gravity

song; frozen

sound and sound editing; gravity

visuals; gravity

animated film; frozen

foreign language film; the hunt

documentary; 20 feet from stardom

live action short; helium

animated short; get a horse

doc short; the one about the lady who just died.

• Founder / Operator

I can't shake the feeling that American Hustle just might take home the big prize. Russell has an incredible amount of momentum on his side after the last three years, not terribly unlike that of Scorsese's run between 2002-2006.

(Obviously their histories are very different, that should go without saying.)

The Big Awards:

Picture: 12 Years (Steve and Brad Pitt will get Oscars in one)

Director: Alfonso(It should be Steve but it seems Alfonso has the momentum)

Actor: Leo (The Academy won't miss a chance to honor the Leo/Scorsese union like they did for Rob with "Raging Bull" plus this has parallels from when Michael Douglas won for his Wall St Scumbag performance in "Wall St".)

Actress: I'm leaning towards Cate but I'm think Amy Adams finally takes one home, she's been nominated a gazillion times.

Supporting Actor: Jared Leto, The tide has been going his way all awards season

Supporting Actress: Lupita, Her performance was too good to deny.  Jlaw is a close 2nd.

I guess American Hustle is a movie (BORINGLY narrated by its own characters) about a selfish guy who teams up with a selfish woman in order to trick some people and earn a lot of money. Then, selfish FBI guy works with them to go after some corrupt politicians but everything is messed up because of, I don't know, the dumb wife and cliched love issues and in the end everything goes wrong. Selfish self-centered people don't succeed but manage to get away with everything and the (apparently) only good guy in the movie goes to jail. But hey, the selfish couple realized in the last two minutes (I have no idea how nor why, but I guess it's important to state that they are good people now) that it would be nice if they just stopped being jerks.

It takes half an hour for the annoying voice over to end and even with that much time of "let me tell you about my life" they couldn't make me care about the characters, I was only worried about the Carmine guy. And all those "play a rock song cause I arrived at the party" really didn't work for me.

Seriously, we have some incredible movies this year, AH couldn't express in 138 minutes what other movies could in less than two hours. Her touched everybody's heart with a single character and a voice, Nebraska is my personal favorite and told one of the most heartwarming stories of the year in a slow-paced black and white movie about a country town full of old people (could this sound more boring?) and Gravity almost made me cry with a woman barking. AH has a lot of dialogue, these people talk a lot, but it doesn't really take you anywhere, it sounds like chit chat and you just end up begging for it to end.

If this wins BP (or screenplay) it would be the most stupid decision the academy has ever made....................... since Crash.
Edited by JohnnY
  • Like 6

• Founder / Operator

Not dumping on this year's solid crop of movies, but am I the only one who finds most of them over-hyped for Oscar season purposes? This isn't nearly as strong a year as 2010 was, IMHO.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 3

Not dumping on this year's solid crop of movies, but am I the only one who finds most of them over-hyped for Oscar season purposes? This isn't nearly as strong a year as 2010 was, IMHO.

12YAS would be an acceptable win(I actually hope it does win due to some of the comical rants of "pretentious white guilt" and "of course slavery is bad, duh!" 

Gravity, while I liked for the most part, would be silly winning BP(its a pretty 1 note thriller with some cheesy dialogue/moments with some cliches/tropes thats elevated almost entirely by its technical genius).  

American Hustle winning anything at all would be outright stupid.

I agree, actually. I was too harsh on The King's Speech (which is honestly a really good movie) for beating The Social Network, while BS, 127 Hours, and TS3 were also really fantastic. 

I feel like the difference this year is that there are more great films that weren't nominated. (ST12, ILD, Frozen, Upstream Color, Before Midnight, etc.)

I'm not overly excited about 12YAS or Gravity winning (though both are amazing) but I hope Gravity wins just for a surprise.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 1

My thoughts on the Oscars and some predictions. It was a pretty great year for movies last year. My 3 favorites this year are American Hustle, Gravity, and 12 Years a Slave. My favorite of the year is probably Gravity, but it's a close one! Her is also a great movie, but I rank it just below those 4 mentioned above. Her just didn't grab like the other ones did. Loved the stylistic approach of Nebraska, it should definitely be included as a best picture candidate. A bit slow, but still pretty good. I haven't seen Dallas Buyers Club or Philomena, but I will soon. The Wolf of Wall Street was riotously funny and pretty good, just don't think it belongs with the other great movies of the year. Captain Phillips was very Meh for me, though I liked Tom Hanks and Barkad Abdi. Tom Hanks got screwed over.

Best Picture

Should Win-Gravity

Will Win-12 Years A Slave

Darkhorse-American Hustle

Best Director

Should Win-Cuaron-Gravity

Will Win-Toss up between Cuaron and Steve Mcqueen

Dark Horse-David O. Russell

Best Actress

Should Win-Sandra Bullock

Will Win-Cate Blanchett

Dark Horse-Doesn't matter. Blanchett will win.

Best Actor

Should Win-Chiwetel Ejiofor

Will Win-Matthew McConaughey

Dark Horse-Leonardo Dicaprio. He was great! Lol.

Best Supporting Actor

Should Win-Bradley Cooper

Will Win-Jared Leto

Darkhorse-Have a hard time seeing anyone upset Leto, but I thought Cooper was great in American Hustle. Need to watch Dallas Buyers Club.

Best Supporting Actress

Should Win-Jennifer Lawrence

Will Win-Jennifer Lawrence

Dark Horse-Lupita Nyongo. She might upset J-law here. 

Best Original Screenplay

Should Win-American Hustle

Will Win-Toss up between American Hustle and Her.

Darkhorse-Think it's between the two above. 

Best Adapted Screenplay

Should win-12 Years a Slave

Will Win-12 Years a Slave

Darkhorse-12 Years a Slave = lockdom.

Best Animated Feature Film

Frozen is by the far the best animated movie this year. Will and should win convincingly.

Best Sound Effects Mixing and Editing, Visual Effects, Film Editing, Original Score, and Cinematography all go to Gravity.

Best Makeup-Dallas Buyers Club

Best Costume-American Hustle

Best Art Direction-The Great Gatsby

Best Song-Let it go-Frozen

Don't care about the others!

Well, yeah, this year isn't as strong as 2010. However, 2010 was a really strong year, so it would be hard for most years to match. 

Edited by Empire