grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

4 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

You couldn't really Americanise because the themes are deeply embedded with Japanese culture and relationship with technology.

I'll have to watch Ghost in the Shell in anime one of these days, I have the episodes but didn't see them yet, so many things to watch. I guess I'll have to see for myself, if it's pretty Japanese in its way of telling and interacting that's likely to interest me.

Just now, DeeCee said:

You couldn't really Americanise because the themes are deeply embedded with Japanese culture and relationship with technology.

Not that much different then Bladerunner, IRobot, Minority Report or Terminator about culture and technology.  Easy to Americanize it.

Review is in English. It's from a Dutch critic. Basically says the film is great visually but the story/plot are weak. Doesn't like any of the cast including Scarjo....and it has nothing to do with the white washing. It just felt to this critic that the cast didn't match the characters. Based on what I've seen so far the visuals have all been praised but the plot has been called out several times. 

Warning this review has some spoilers in regards to the plot. 

http://www.geekster.be/films/ghost-in-the-shell-review/amp/

• Like 1

I've seen the original a number of times but not for many years now.  I have at times almost bought the DVD but I'm never sure whether or not it is a crap release so I put it off till next time.

So I'll be looking at this live action version with semi-fresh eyes. 

3 hours ago, Nova said:

Review is in English. It's from a Dutch critic. Basically says the film is great visually but the story/plot are weak. Doesn't like any of the cast including Scarjo....and it has nothing to do with the white washing. It just felt to this critic that the cast didn't match the characters. Based on what I've seen so far the visuals have all been praised but the plot has been called out several times. 

Warning this review has some spoilers in regards to the plot. 

http://www.geekster.be/films/ghost-in-the-shell-review/amp/

Is this a critic or a fan? Some criticisms were based on factually incorrect information on the different iterations

25 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I was left cold by the Akira and GotS. Great settings, jumped plots. I am aware that Eastern storytelling is so different to Western style that it can take years to become acclimated though.

The plots movie-wise are so compressed in Akira and GiTS. GiTS even more so. I honestly enjoyed the show that came in the early 2000s ((Stand Alone Complex)) more because it fleshed out the characters and setting more.