spizzer

AWESOME Weekend Estimates BOM | Lego 69.1M | MM 22.7M | RA 9.4M | FRZ 6.9M | VA 4.1M | TAM 5.5M |

• Founder / Operator

The LEGO Movie dying down (in another month-ish) might benefit Muppets Most Wanted. Might.

I'm worried about Muppets. My feeling is that kids and families will be burnt out on animation once Lego has its day (month) in the sun. They'll be looking to Captain America at that point. That movie couldn't be more perfectly timed, IMO.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 3

The LEGO Movie dying down (in another month-ish) might benefit Muppets Most Wanted. Might.

Mr. Peabody and Sherman comes first.

I'm worried for the Muppets, even though it's a family movie it interests adults who grew up on it way more than the kids.  I really want the Muppets to be a success though. (and the marketing has been stellar so far)

I'm worried about Muppets. My feeling is that kids and families will be burnt out on animation once Lego has its day (month) in the sun. They'll be looking to Captain America at that point. That movie couldn't be more perfectly timed, IMO.

Captain America which will in turn hurt Spider-Man.

Problem with Muppets is that last film was well-recevied. By grown-ups. But it had the same position as Frozen and Tangled (two mega hits) and yet didn't crack $100M. And this sequel by all accounts is way more kid-friendly, an odd move since kids got dragged by their parents to see the last film and not vice versa.

Edited by filmnerdjamie

I think studios are trying to recreate last Summer this late Winter/Spring. Lego, Peabody, Muppets, Captain America and Rio are all very close (and I know Nut Job is a small movie, but it will end up with 60-70M which is quite good and affects other family movies).

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

The Winter Soldier will be the second example this year of how quality movies will make money wherever you put them. I'm thinking this one-two punch could see a major shift in how studios view release dates.Well, until someone releases a similar, yet very inferior product in the same spot and it makes way less money. Then, it's a bad time again.
  • Like 4