spizzer

AWESOME Weekend Estimates BOM | Lego 69.1M | MM 22.7M | RA 9.4M | FRZ 6.9M | VA 4.1M | TAM 5.5M |

It's sucking alright--VAMPIRE DIARIES had a dismal debut biting into just $1.4M on Friday.

It's all about context.

VA doing 1.4m is an epic failure, another nail in the coffin of YA franchise attempts. Posted Image

Frozen doing 1.4 is an amazing success against direct competition. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Founder / Operator

Yes, but not underwhelming at all when you consider most pundits predicted between 50-55 mill OW.  

Those 20 mill projections were made before any theaters on the west coast were open for business.

If not lower.

• Like 1

If not lower.

Yes, no doubt lower.  I'm just going by what Ray and Gitesh predicted.  

But I know, not too long ago, many had this not opening to 40 mill.  It's only recently that the numbers trended upwards.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

If the Lego movie had been released in the early 90's, it would have made Titanic numbers. :)

Would it though? I think the brand has gotten progressively stronger since the 90s. Largely thanks to video games and their massive success with Star Wars, Harry Potter, LOTR, etc. branding.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 5

What's funny is, two months ago if somebody told you out of the movies released this weekend one will have 33% on RT and then other a 96%, pretty much anybody would have thought the Monuments Men would have the 96%.

What?  MM has 96% on RT?

Also unexpected: Monuments Men has a 57% rating on Flixster already... Vampire Academy is 83%.  :blink:

From what I have read, the movie follows the book very well, and since the only persons that saw the movie were the book fans, that rating is kinda normal...

From what I have read, the movie follows the book very well, and since the only persons that saw the movie were the book fans, that rating is kinda normal...

True, but it shows that the audience is going to agree with the critics on Monuments Men (which from the reviews saying that it was overly boring, I am not surprised), I might put up a bet that Monuments Men has over a 50% drop next weekend except it's Valentines Day weekend so I dont want to put points on it.

Would it though? I think the brand has gotten progressively stronger since the 90s. Largely thanks to video games and their massive success with Star Wars, Harry Potter, LOTR, etc. branding.

Well, I was exaggerating for effect, but Lego was like the best toy back in the days. Nowadays the best toy is video games. But I might be wrong, maybe the brand is stronger now.

• Like 1

True, but it shows that the audience is going to agree with the critics on Monuments Men (which from the reviews saying that it was overly boring, I am not surprised), I might put up a bet that Monuments Men has over a 50% drop next weekend except it's Valentines Day weekend so I dont want to put points on it.

Technically it's Presidents' Day long weekend, with the added bonus of Valentine's Day falling on the Friday. Could be an unusually good weekend.