CJohn

LEGO's Ninjago | Lego Movie Spin-off | September 22, 2017 | Trailer on page 3

To be fair I agree we shouldn't expect big numbers from this but a $35M/$115M performance is not the death sentence for Ninjago. It is still very good numbers. Presales are looking decent (90% of Boss Baby), and has been doing well on MT and Fandango. 

I do agree that buzz can be a bit bigger.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

I really don't understand WB holding the embargo until Wednesday (I mean, It could get away with it, but why this movie? You need good wom as soon as possible... unless they know the wom is not good), nor do I understand not having Thursday previews (Lego Batman and even Storks did it, why the hell not Ninjago? UNLESS........ they know the wom is not good).

Regardless, if it makes over 100M DOM, WB will be clear of any red alerts for the Lego franchise... for now, at least. That being said, dammit they need to rework their animation program. Not necessarily the movies themselves cause they have quality, but the marketing and the hype surrounding them.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 4

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

I really don't understand WB holding the embargo until Wednesday (I mean, It could get away with it, but why this movie? You need good wom as soon as possible... unless they know the wom is not good), nor do I understand not having Thursday previews (Lego Batman and even Storks did it, why the hell not Ninjago? UNLESS........ they know the wom is not good).

Ninjago has been confirmed via DHD for Thursday previews but we probably get an update tonight for theaters.

The reception for the early screening is fun but not as good as the first two Lego movies.

• Like 1

Lots of animated movies with good reception have had Wednesday embargoes, Peanuts, Storks, and Captain Underpants for example.

I do agree WB needs more marketing effort for future WAG films if they want the big dollars.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Ninjago has been confirmed via DHD for Thursday previews but we probably get an update tonight for theaters.

The reception for the early screening is fun but not as good as the first two Lego movies.

Oh okay, thank God for that. Should be high 3000-4000 in theaters. It's WB, after all.

If true, not surprising but also nothing to be worried about. It doesn't need to be as good as the 1st two. I don't think Storks is as good as either Lego movie, but I still find it a good, charming movie. If Ninjago is quality, it'll do well. Especially with the family animation market being dead for months now - seriously, the only reason Leap is having good legs and both Despicable Me 3 and even Emoji Movie are surviving to this day is because of the barren landscape of the market for their demographics. I mean, It had a strong kids/family audience after all, showing how desperate they were for escapism too.

• Like 2

I'm not too worried, from the looks of it presales (which are 90% of Boss Baby which seems likely for $30M-$40M OW) are much better than Emoji and CU, it's appeared on MT yesterday, on a Monday which is kind of rare for animated movies outside of Disney/Pixar/Illumination, appeared on Pulse Sunday night and all day yesterday, with one time jumping over Kingsman and reviews will be decent to say the least.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I'm not too worried, from the looks of it presales (which are 90% of Boss Baby which seems likely for $30M-$40M OW) are much better than Emoji and CU, it's appeared on MT yesterday, on a Monday which is kind of rare for animated movies outside of Disney/Pixar/Illumination, appeared on Pulse Sunday night and all day yesterday, with one time jumping over Kingsman and reviews will be decent to say the least.

WAG's hit rate has been pretty good, not as strong as Illumination or Pixar but they've had bigger hits than SPA or Blue Sky. 

Ninjago might surprise in the same way the HT series did. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

WB's animation is doing so poorly. They are not competent at all with the other big studios. Their OS numbers fell awful.

I mean their biggest hit is The Lego Movie which did $450m and that isn't even impressive at all for studios like Pixar/WDAS/Illumination or even Dreamworks.

They have work to do in that department. They are doing very well overall but seeing the numbers that other studios pull, animation can be a huge opportunity for big cash and they are missing it right now.

• Like 3

Spoiler

If your last name isn't Garmadon, you're not really in this movie.

Considering I've constantly forgotten the other characters - who look similar as hell - were in the movie, I'm not surprised. 

There's always a lone non Disney/Pixar movie in September these years. WB knows what's going down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

WB's animation is doing so poorly. They are not competent at all with the other big studios. Their OS numbers fell awful.

I mean their biggest hit is The Lego Movie which did $450m and that isn't even impressive at all for studios like Pixar/WDAS/Illumination or even Dreamworks.

They have work to do in that department. They are doing very well overall but seeing the numbers that other studios pull, animation can be a huge opportunity for big cash and they are missing it right now.

Especially with WB marketing power. I mean they definitely aren't as bad as say SPA or Paramount. They are doing better than Blue Sky too but they can be so much stronger.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Animation is a total  nigthmare this year.

:gold:

Coco, you are our only hope ...

I think part of the reason Animation is doing okay this year was because of how big last year was. I think 2018 will be a solid rebound.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

WAG have only released three films so far, you can't compare them to say Illumination or DWA who are far more established. Illumination didn't start having huge numbers until DM2, their first three films are similar in gross to what WAG have done so far. 

13 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Especially with WB marketing power. I mean they definitely aren't as bad as say SPA or Paramount. They are doing better than Blue Sky too but they can be so much stronger.

If they have a hit that isn't Lego then they should be fine. Scooby will be the real test for them but even then it's an established IP

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I think part of the reason Animation is doing okay this year was because of how big last year was. I think 2018 will be a solid rebound.

This year DM3 could be the only movie with 250m dom. Next year at least 3 are a safe bet:

Peter Rabbit Sony 2/9/18
Sherlock Gnomes Par. 3/23/18
Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero FunAcad 4/13/18
The Incredibles 2 BV 6/15/18
Hotel Transylvania 3 Sony 7/13/18
Smallfoot WB 9/14/18
Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (2017) Uni. 11/9/18
Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 BV 11/21/18
Animated Spider-Man Sony 12/14/18

HT3 and Animated SM could both do 150m+

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

WAG have only released three films so far, you can't compare them to say Illumination or DWA who are far more established. Illumination didn't start having huge numbers until DM2, their first three films are similar in gross to what WAG have done so far. 

WAG's performance is just unimpressive, no question about that. Don't forget that Illumination's first three films were all originals while WAG is having  an established brand that LEGO is. They had a decent hit with their first movie but the signs of them doing well now on are not really here.

And well Illumination's fourth film made a bili. I think Ninjago will be lucky to make a fifth of that.

They need to do way better than what they are doing now. Nothing shows that they have done the right job so far. Future doesn't feel promising.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Ralph will safely make 250m???

Not buying it right now. 200m feels a nice target.

• Like 2