CJohn

LEGO's Ninjago | Lego Movie Spin-off | September 22, 2017 | Trailer on page 3

WAG and Illumination are pretty much the polar opposite. Illumination doesn't have huge quality outputs (outside of Despicable Me 1, which, being their 1st, I guess they wanted to try harder to convince people), but they are masters of the art of marketing. WAG is not very good at that, but they are very good at making movies. If only they could figure how Illumination succeeds and apply it to their scenario of creative insight that actually tries, they could have killer hits.

• Like 4

WAG has good solid storytelling behind them.  All of their movies have been pretty solid, though the fact that LEGO Batman and Ninjago are both derivative might not have helped them.  They are terrible at marketing though, at least with their animated films.  I think they're too used to a lot of their adult fare (especially stuff like DC or HP) basically being sold to an already established audience.  They still have to try with LEGO since most LEGO fans aren't into LEGO to watch movies... they're in it to build.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

WAG and Illumination are pretty much the polar opposite. Illumination doesn't have huge quality outputs (outside of Despicable Me 1, which, being their 1st, I guess they wanted to try harder to convince people), but they are masters of the art of marketing. WAG is not very good at that, but they are very good at making movies. If only they could figure how Illumination succeeds and apply it to their scenario of creative insight that actually tries, they could have killer hits.

WAG have had two critically acclaimed films, that's pretty solid for a newish studio. I don't think they're terribly at all, they may not be doing Pixar or Illumination numbers but that's very hard to achieve when there is so many animation competition these day. 

2 hours ago, Sal said:

WAG has good solid storytelling behind them.  All of their movies have been pretty solid, though the fact that LEGO Batman and Ninjago are both derivative might not have helped them.  They are terrible at marketing though, at least with their animated films.  I think they're too used to a lot of their adult fare (especially stuff like DC or HP) basically being sold to an already established audience.  They still have to try with LEGO since most LEGO fans aren't into LEGO to watch movies... they're in it to build.

The non Lego movies like Smallfoot and Scooby will be real tests for WAG, I think having the established IPs from the various animation libraries is an advantage but I think WAG can succeed but I think they need to need to make some of the films less pop culture heavy, a lot of the humour in Lego Batman appeals to those get the reference, Storks in comparison was more slapstick heavy and it did alright OS. 

9 hours ago, a2knet said:

Animated Spider-Man should do solid numbers but I wonder how HT3 will fare. For all we know, it could perform an Ice Age 3 on us (left the lucrative March spot to the July spot and made big numbers) or it could be a KFP3.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Ralph will safely make 250m???

Not buying it right now. 200m feels a nice target.

hmm...from what i see it's considered one of the best animations of recent years. 250 may not be safe but i think closer to 250 than 200.

28 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Animated Spider-Man should do solid numbers but I wonder how HT3 will fare. For all we know, it could perform an Ice Age 3 on us (left the lucrative March spot to the July spot and made big numbers) or it could be a KFP3.

yeah, i have no handle of ht3. hopefully it does not show much of a drop and does 140+.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, a2knet said:

yeah, i have no handle of ht3. hopefully it does not show much of a drop and does 140+.

Ice Age 2 and 3 did about the same domestically, both in the $190M range, maybe it can happen with HT3 but that seems unlikely.

• Like 1

I wondered if he meant as in story writers as well. On Wikipedia screenplay and story combined has 13 and some of the same story writers wrote the screenplay.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I wondered if he meant as in story writers as well. On Wikipedia screenplay and story combined has 13 and some of the same story writers wrote the screenplay.

If we minus the writers who also have Story credit then it goes down to five writers which isn't that many for an animated film

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1