Dementeleus

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This was my first Wes Anderson movie and I loved it. It started a bit slow but the test was great. Likeble characters! One of my favorite films of this year thus far. A-

You should watch some more of his movies. In my opinion, he hasn't made a bad movie yet.

A charming quirky farce with an excellent Fiennes but the emotional beats felt under served considering the turn toward a darker melancholy tone at the end.  I would have liked more time spent at the Hotel, more Agatha for the end of the story to have more punch and just more Tilda because Tilda - but then Anderson really doesn't do women to any great extent. 

B+ 

Watched it again - upgrading it to an A-.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

I thought I would hate it because Moonrise Kingdom was so bad, I thought to myself that I would never like an Anderson film  because of his obnoxious style (Moonrise, was to date, the only film of his I have watched). 

What a pleasant surprise.

It starts okay, then it gets better and better until the triumphant finale. Ralph Fiennes is incredible, I just couldn't get tired of his lovable character. I wouldn't say that the movie is funny, but I always had a smile in my face. What a stellar cast, fairly big names for even the smallest roles.

90/100 

I'll gladly check out his filmography without a preconceived hate
Edited by Goffe Ascending
  • Like 3

I generally very dislike Anderson work as they are not my cup of tea.

However this film is by far the most accessible of his work.

It is like a comedy set in the past with a lot of modern elements in it.

It will feel like a custom drama at times and then someone throws a cat out of a window.

That is what makes the film enjoyably and a solid A-

It is not a film for everyone, have to like a story based film and have  an odd sense of humour  ;)

Edited by Lordmandeep

Rewatched this a while ago. WOW. It gets a lot better with a rewatch, mostly because I wasn’t expecting the melancholy ending the first time around. The build-up works a lot better and I knew what I was going to get with the tone too. I think I actually love this movie quite a bit. Probably one of the biggest turnarounds I’ve had with a rewatch. Even got teary-eyed at the end. Revising my grad to an A+, top five of 2014.