Impact

Best visual effects-2014

I used to think Apes deserved this but when I really think about it, Interstellar does. The apes look amazing, buy mo-cap isn't special anymore, its used all the time now whereas its not every day a vfx company creates the most realistic depiction of a black hole ever and makes scientific breakthroughs in the process.

I used to think Apes deserved this but when I really think about it, Interstellar does. The apes look amazing, buy mo-cap isn't special anymore, its used all the time now whereas its not every day a vfx company creates the most realistic depiction of a black hole ever and makes scientific breakthroughs in the process.

No VFX shots have impressed me in Interstellar (they bored me to be honest, that same shot of a still camera rigged on a model's fuselage taking 2/3 of the screen so often was wearing its welcome), Apes was a constant "How the fuck did they do that?" from beginning to end with imaginative visual ways of using the amazing VFX to suit the narrative. (That long shot of Koba rampaging the tank from the shooting's POV panning over the seamless action taking place all around for exemple). Weta Digital is so above the rest of the competition in that regard.

is it safe to say that the battle is between IS and Apes?
Personally, I tink IS will take the award home, its visual effects are more innovative and "fresh" than the improved mo-cap Apes that we have already seen before in 2011.

Films that I think will get nominated

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Interstellar

and maybe Godzilla

It would not be a deserving win.

Not saying it would, but it's getting a lot of guild attention for a Marvel film. Historically the film with the most academy love for other subjects tends to win here and there's no best picture nominee in this category.

Guardians is locked for make up and hairstyling, and has a good chance at sneaking in for sound and production design nom's. It also has an off chance for an editing and screenplay nom based off guild nominations. Interstellar is really falling flat, even in categories where it was thought a shoe in, and this will likely be the only nomination for dawn.

I'd personally give it to Dawn, but Guardians has real potential to upset in this category.

• Like 1

No VFX shots have impressed me in Interstellar (they bored me to be honest, that same shot of a still camera rigged on a model's fuselage taking 2/3 of the screen so often was wearing its welcome), Apes was a constant "How the fuck did they do that?" from beginning to end with imaginative visual ways of using the amazing VFX to suit the narrative. (That long shot of Koba rampaging the tank from the shooting's POV panning over the seamless action taking place all around for exemple). Weta Digital is so above the rest of the competition in that regard.

Glad we agree on Apes.

To me this movie is a milestone in VFX history.

The rendering of the Apes is 100% photoreal.

They were living, breathing characters, they were as real as the actors.

• Like 1

Apes deserves this 1000x more than any other movie, it's the greatest achievement of VFX history so far, in my (objectively correct) opinion.

Unfortunately, I think Interstellar may win instead, due to Paramount's awards push for it.

• Like 1

LOL

That is complete and utter bullshit. The blackhole and the wormhole are both far more impressive than anything from 2014 - Apes can't compete against it.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.     Period.    Nuff Said!     Done.     Hands down.

DOTPOTA is so far ahead of the the rest of the potential candidates they're not even worth listing. Well...except for GOTG. I love that film. What Dawn did with it PERFORMANCE capture was astounding. 

I have a question though. What are the dates for eligibility? Why is Jupiter Ascending on this list? It's not even out yet. How does that fall into 2014?

• Like 2

LOL

That is complete and utter bullshit. The blackhole and the wormhole are both far more impressive than anything from 2014 - Apes can't compete against it.

It would have been impressive if Spielberg framed it or Cameron or any other directors that can infuse genuine sense of wonder and awe into their visual effects shots. Nolan and his so-called documentary/faux-realism style waters everything down that doesn't allow visuals to be grand, emphatic and eerily awe-inspiring even if that's not 100% accurate to reality, who cares? It's a movie, that's what we want, be mesmerized by incredible visuals and imagination. Not plain factual visuals that are just a mathematical equation rendered by a random super-computer.

The wormhole is boring CGI rendering. Nothing impressive about it, nothing groundbreaking about its framing, the way Nolan uses his camera to illustrate it, a shot from the front, a shot from the side, a shot on the disc, that's all Nolan can muster in his vocabulary to show us how impressive it is but we got plenty of close-up shots on McConaughey sweaty mug more than the said wormhole in the sequence...Nolan managed to make a supermassive wormhole discovery as exciting as watching the paint dry, just purely factual and Zimmer does all the heavy lifting with no subtlety. Apes was 1000 times far more impressive just watching Caesar interacting with his companions in the whole beginning section using language for the deaf, little to no music to manipulate your emotions, no overwritten and overbearing dialogue that explains everything that happens on-screen just the bare minimum, everything is just conveyed through the acting posture, blocking, body language, the stare, the direction and editing. Seamless integration in a natural environment as your brain paradoxically forgets that you're watching lively CG characters made of algorithms harkening back to the palatable warmness of humanity and the emotional spectrum of human's experience through tiniest details (that's the most difficult thing to do with CGI especially when our human eyes know what an ape looks and acts like) contrary to that black hole's cold rendering which screams "Hey look a big CG black hole mathematically accurate!".(It's not like the audience actually knows what an alledged wormhole looks like IRL to refute or condone its appearance in the movie especially when all of this is theoretical)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 5