Impact

Best visual effects-2014

one of the best blockbusters of this year.

You should see it.

I ve just seen Apes in crystal clear 1080p and FUCK ME, this is the most absolutely incredible VFX movie I saw since Avatar (2009) and the first Transfromers (2007).

I could write walls of text about what is right about those Apes because everything is pretty much perfect about them.

God knows I crapped on the bubble gum physics of the Hobbit movies that are done by the same VFX house Weta Digital, I can't believe both Apes movies and the Hobbits films are done by them. There are so many wrong things about the Hobbit films and this second Apes movie is a VFX work of art. They gave life, meaning, flesh, psychological depths and nuances to apes that exist only in a hard drive of working stations in New Zealand.

Regarding VFX, I would say that Interstellar was cute but APES was fucking PHENOMENAL.

I felt for every one of those damn apes, their inner conflict etc

To me this is a landmark in VFX history, plain and simple.

Interstellar winning would be an as big travesty as the fucking bear from that Nicloe Kidman movie winning over Transformers.

And I adored Interstellar.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

I'm rooting for Apes to win. The visual effects were really good. And it's a movie that really does a great job of integrating the effects with the live actors. I think movies like Hobbit 3 and Transformers 4 that are basically just cartoons at this point might get skipped.

A reason why Into The Woods will sneak in as well.

Interstellar would be my best bet for the win though. Nolan films do great on a technical level. And since reception for the screenplay was mixed, it might walk away with a bunch of technical awards.

I'm rooting for Apes to win. The visual effects were really good. And it's a movie that really does a great job of integrating the effects with the live actors. I think movies like Hobbit 3 and Transformers 4 that are basically just cartoons at this point might get skipped.

A reason why Into The Woods will sneak in as well.

Interstellar would be my best bet for the win though. Nolan films do great on a technical level. And since reception for the screenplay was mixed, it might walk away with a bunch of technical awards.

I'm guessing you didn't see the shortlist.

I'm guessing you didn't see the shortlist.

I'm guessing now it's not on there :D

Well I see Interstellar walking away with this anyway. And it would be justified.

edit: ok I just checked out the shortlist. Maleficent... really?

Edited by PatrickvD

I don't even know what to think of this nomination anymore with the way some films were snubbed last year. like how the hell did lone ranger get a nomination over Man of Steel or Pacific rim..

But my guess (and hopefully what I think deserve it)

Interstellar

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Guardians of the Galaxy 

Godzilla

outside chance:

Maleficent 

The Hobbit the Battle of Five Armies

X-Men Days of Future Past

Captain America: the Winter Soldier

Edge of Tomorrow

• Like 1

Again it's down to whether Interstellar gets a BP nom. Apes isn't likely to get one, so, if IS gets the nom, it will have the visual effects award.

you seriously think Interstellar will get a BP nom? don't get me wrong I loved the movie, but it wasn't exactly loved by critics, I actually think Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, has a pretty decent shot of getting it, and definitely over Interstellar.   

Edited by KaloVisor
  • Like 1

GOTG VFX was pretty weak imo. Rocket didn't look that great. Apes should have this in the bag, best CGI I've ever seen in a film though the academy have been wrong before. Can't belive Hugo beak Rise of the Apes. Interstellar has a chance to beat due to all the time they put into creating the most realistic black hole on film.

I thought for a moment Robocop was on the visual list. :lol:

Biggest surprising omission is TASM2 (though many did agree the visuals were not great but enjoyed the story more)

Predicts:
Apes 2

Galaxy

Hobbit 3

Interstellar

Maleficent

Edit: Oops forgot TF4, that will probably make it over Maleficent.

Edited by Impact
  • Like 1

you seriously think Interstellar will get a BP nom? don't get me wrong I loved the movie, but it wasn't exactly loved by critics, I actually think Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, has a pretty decent shot of getting it, and definitely over Interstellar.   

I don't think IS getting a nom is highly likely. I just think it got bigger chance than Apes.

But, nevermind, I guess neither of them will get one. So, no BP nom getting the visual effects award bullshit, and thats good. It's a fair game now with IS vs Apes.

BTW, what's chance of the effects award winner being neither of both?

Edited by vc2002