Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

5 hours ago, Elessar said:

Who's to say Avatar 2 will do more than Wolf Warrior 2, though? That one is so far ahead of everything else. Being a local production has its perks...

China is really the wild card. Local films have been becoming stronger and stronger in recent years and that's definitely not good news for hollywood movies including A2. On the other hand, it's James Cameron, the guy who broke China's boxoffice record 3 times and he's doing a sequel to a previous record breaker. Moreover, Titanic re-release grossed $150m in China. Granted, A2 won't have the same strong nostalgia factor, but it definitely proves that Chinese are more fond of Cameron's movies than anyone else's.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

I'm aware. Not saying it's impossible, just being cautious coz it's a hell of a lot of money. I reckon it'll also need a longer release window and not a lot of competition, who knows what the regulators there will decide...

Edited by Elessar

45 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I'm aware. Not saying it's impossible, just being cautious coz it's a hell of a lot of money. I reckon it'll also need a longer release window and not a lot of competition, who knows what the regulators there will decide...

I think WW2 made 700m in its first month

Just now, Elessar said:

A movie is lucky in China to get 2 weeks without them taking away screens.

Ah I see. Too many unknowns to make an accurate prediction.. Avatar could get extended because its pro enviroment for all we know

On 4/5/2018 at 3:32 PM, IronJimbo said:

Let's not remember that thanks Elessar, instead let's watch this.

I would consider this trailer to be example A) of how NOT to promote your movie, they basically give away the entire storyline in that trailer...if there's anybody here from 20th Century Fox involved in promotion - PLEASE do not do this with the sequels, hopefully JC has final say for teasers/trailers so he can prevent this from happening again. Don't unwrap the present for us, shake the box a little but that's it.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Deuce66 said:

I would consider this trailer to be example A) of how NOT to promote your movie, they basically give away the entire storyline in that trailer...if there's anybody here from 20th Century Fox involved in promotion - PLEASE do not do this with the sequels, hopefully JC has final say for teasers/trailers so he can prevent this from happening again. Don't unwrap the present for us, shake the box a little but that's it. 

Yeah well... it gets me hyped. Agree though, it shows lots but only if you analyse it. Most just watch it once or twice and go on their way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Maybe Jim did it on a purpose just to create a hype for the movie. Because it was something new 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

MW-GG926_gta_5__20180406123302_NS.jpg?uu

I don't play video games but found this chart interesting. Really crazy money on the table here, which makes me wonder why we have yet to see a grand theft auto movie. 

Actually could be decent a grand theft auto movie, the media would loath it though.

11 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

MW-GG926_gta_5__20180406123302_NS.jpg?uu

I don't play video games but found this chart interesting. Really crazy money on the table here, which makes me wonder why we have yet to see a grand theft auto movie. 

It's not that crazy money. 90 million units sold is not that much when you think Avatar had possibly about 300-400 million admissions Worldwide.

Difference is that games are $50+ whereas movies are $9 average in U.S. and cheaper in the big markets (China for example).

I'm not sure a Grand Theft Auto would make that much, as playing the game the way you want to and watching somebody play it is very different.

I think I read some years ago that Cars was the most profitable movie ever made, generating over $5billion in total revenue, thanks to the overwhelming merchandise sales.

In this case, Disney probably owns the alltime top most profitable movies list. When it comes to the movie's non-boxoffice revenue, Disney is the king.

Edited by vc2002

1 minute ago, vc2002 said:

I think I read some years ago that Cars was the most profitable movie ever made, generating over $5billion in total revenue, thanks to the overwhelming merchandise sales.

In this case, Disney probably owns the alltime top most profitable movies list. When it comes to the movie's non-boxoffice revenue, Disney is the king.

Without a doubt (maybe). I think I mentioned it before in the Franchise Thread, but yes, I wonder if there is any data on merchandise sold per franchise etc. 

I know for example that Frozen has the best selling Blu Ray of all time. 

14 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Is it a sign of what's to come for Avatar?

vc2002 give into your true desires and accept my invite

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Given the success of Pandora at Disney we can expect some serious merchandise to be shifted. 

Didn't the merchandise store get annihilated? Banshee's were sold out in seconds.