Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

On 11/05/2016 at 1:22 PM, Heretic said:

You are seriously delusional. Avatar was a one hit wonder driven by its innovative use of 3D technology. The 2nd film will make a lot of money, but no where NEAR the amount it made domestically, or in Europe. China/Developing markets will be huge, but that isn't enough to offset the incredible fall this will have in the vast majority of territories worldwide. For being the biggest film ever, Avatar is actually pretty forgettable. The vast majority don't give a shit about it anymore. What was it's main theme song again? Lol. Titanic has a lasting legacy, Avatar does not.

No that's you.

Avatar is a 1 hit wonder as there is only 1 Avatar currently, when the first sequel is released it will be a two hit wonder. It's 3D was innovative though.

WRONG, you have a biased point of view because you're from pretty much the only EU country that preferred sws to Avatar. Luckily you and your country will be leaving EU soon.

For an original film it's incredibly memorable, afterall it's hard to forget a film which is in both your uncle Ben's and your Grandma Margret's blu-ray collection.

When trying to shit on Avatar try not to use Titanic, all you're doing is showing how based James 'Iron Jim' Cameron truely is.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

No that's you.

Avatar is a 1 hit wonder as there is only 1 Avatar currently, when the first sequel is released it will be a two hit wonder. It's 3D was innovative though.

WRONG, you have a biased point of view because you're from pretty much the only EU country that preferred sws to Avatar. Luckily you and your country will be leaving EU soon.

For an original film it's incredibly memorable, afterall it's hard to forget a film which is in both your uncle Ben's and your Grandma Margret's blu-ray collection.

When trying to shit on Avatar try not to use Titanic, all you're doing is showing how based James 'Iron Jim' Cameron truely is.

Avatar will certainly be a 5-hit wonder, in that all five movies will make over 1B WW. That's good enough for me. But why does him not liking avatar have to do with someone hoping that a freaking country leaves the EU? I think that's a much bigger deal than a freaking movie don't you think?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DAJK said:

Avatar will certainly be a 5-hit wonder, in that all five movies will make over 1B WW. That's good enough for me. But why does him not liking avatar have to do with someone hoping that a freaking country leaves the EU? I think that's a much bigger deal than a freaking movie don't you think?

It's fine. Things turn more personal when people like IronJimbo run out of things to say.

On 5/12/2016 at 2:46 AM, kayumanggi said:

How can you say it will have an incredible fall in "the vast majority" of territories?

Because it will.

In Europe, it'll drop in almost every country, by quite a significant amount. 1. Because the Avatar was a freak success that won't be repeated on quite the same scale, and 2. Because ER's are unlikely to recover to the same strength as 2009. Take Spain, for example. Avatar made $110m there. There is no way it's even possible for a number like that to happen again there, it'll be lucky to make half. Same for Italy's $83m. Russia $117m. Again, unless something changes drastically in ER's, it'll be lucky to make half. Germany $162m, France $175m. Doubt it tops $100m this time around. Even Brazil. $58m now would require something incredible considering how much the ER has dropped. Japan $171m. Yeah, that's not happening again. UK $150m. That require £105m now, compared to Avatar's £94m. I highly doubt, no matter how good this looks, it'll increase from a number so high. Australia. $105m also won't happen barring a sudden surge in ER's. Even though South Korea has expanded massively, making $100m is still and incredibly difficult feat.

Even China made $204m. I have no doubt it'll increase there, probably double in size, but in much of the rest of the world, I can see it falling significantly. $1.5bn OS, max, which is still fucking huge.

As for the US, I just don't see it repeating the success of Avatar. $500m seems like a good target this time around.

• Like 2

Even in local currency Avatar made €77m in Spain. That's an out-of-this-world figure for a market our size. Given the depressed economy and deflated ticket prices, it can easily drop to half that. And guess what? That would still beat TFA's gross in here.

Avatar 2 will drop heavily from the first, and will still be a massive hit. That's how crazy Avatar 1's performance was.

Edited by Celedhring

8 hours ago, DAJK said:

Than Avatar? No.

Also the UK are the ones who chose to vote on it, if the majority vote yes to leave then I'm just repsecting the UK's wishes when hoping they leave. I'm a nice guy.

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Because it will.

In Europe, it'll drop in almost every country, by quite a significant amount. 1. Because the Avatar was a freak success that won't be repeated on quite the same scale, and 2. Because ER's are unlikely to recover to the same strength as 2009. Take Spain, for example. Avatar made $110m there. There is no way it's even possible for a number like that to happen again there, it'll be lucky to make half. Same for Italy's $83m. Russia $117m. Again, unless something changes drastically in ER's, it'll be lucky to make half. Germany $162m, France $175m. Doubt it tops $100m this time around. Even Brazil. $58m now would require something incredible considering how much the ER has dropped. Japan $171m. Yeah, that's not happening again. UK $150m. That require £105m now, compared to Avatar's £94m. I highly doubt, no matter how good this looks, it'll increase from a number so high. Australia. $105m also won't happen barring a sudden surge in ER's. Even though South Korea has expanded massively, making $100m is still and incredibly difficult feat.

Even China made $204m. I have no doubt it'll increase there, probably double in size, but in much of the rest of the world, I can see it falling significantly. $1.5bn OS, max, which is still fucking huge.

As for the US, I just don't see it repeating the success of Avatar. $500m seems like a good target this time around.

I didn't say it would increase nor stay flat. lol

I just don't think it will fall in a big way.

10 hours ago, vc2002 said:

Stop raping that Navi child you monster!

That should be censored, lol.

Forget about ER and ticket prices for a bit, I think inflation and China will counteract those loses but lets talk admissions. How many admissions do we think Avatar 2 will have compared to the first?

I honestly believe Avatar 2 will sell more tickets than the first, this is my uttermost faith in James Cameron. The film will be higher quality than the first, it will have 10x bigger hype coming into it and the quality will give it those legs.

Do you people think this films won't have extreme hype coming in, the hype levels will be much higher in most EU countries than they were for Star Wars. UK and USA for some reason just loooooooove Star Wars but thats a different story.

If you want to argue Avatar 2 will make less money than Avatar thats fine, but less admissions? You've lost the plot.

Edited by IronJimbo

12 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

No that's you.

What does Avatar have to do with the EU? And what do you mean 'luckily'? UK leaving the EU is a benefit to the UK and bad for Europe, we don't need you guys lol

2 minutes ago, Jessie said:

What does Avatar have to do with the EU? And what do you mean 'luckily'? UK leaving the EU is a benefit to the UK and bad for Europe, we don't need you guys lol

Well we know what you're voting then, I'm voting no.