Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

50 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I love Cameron as a film maker and his stance on veganism is awesome.

But his attitude towards Hollywood and filmmakers basically saying that there's not a lot of talent out there is just ridiculous. There have been a lot of films that have come out in the last decade that we're really Innovative in terms of you fax and so on. What Cameron did with Avatar was really awesome to look at but sorry I didn't really see it as being that incredible. I know I'm probably in the minority on that but that's just how I feel. I think he's being a real dick by coming in and saying stuff like this.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I've tried to google that 2013 Esquire interview and didn't find anything. Jim might not be the most pleasant director to work with but in all interviews i've seen he comes across as polite and not egotistical at all, at least i don't remember any. You really believe he would say stuff like "i created the greatest film of this generation"? Come on...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I've tried to google that 2013 Esquire interview and didn't find anything. Jim might not be the most pleasant director to work with but in all interviews i've seen he comes across as polite and not egotistical at all, at least i don't remember any. You really believe he would say stuff like "i created the greatest film of this generation"? Come on...

You're right.  I apologize.  That was really gullible of me to do that.  He has always come across as very respectful of other film makers.  And he even helped Bay on TRF3.  Thanks for snapping me out of my tabloid induced coma there. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

But his attitude towards Hollywood and filmmakers basically saying that there's not a lot of talent out there is just ridiculous. There have been a lot of films that have come out in the last decade that we're really Innovative in terms of you fax and so on. What Cameron did with Avatar was really awesome to look at but sorry I didn't really see it as being that incredible. I know I'm probably in the minority on that but that's just how I feel. I think he's being a real dick by coming in and saying stuff like this.

Jim is honestly really humble and nice towards other filmmakers, he encourages people to pick up the a video recorder and don't let their dreams be dreams. It's really hard to find Jim being arrogant or rude off set, you only hear that he is a monster on set.

That said lots of the quotes are real, I don't fact check all of them.

xawQRDe.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Jim is honestly really humble and nice towards other filmmakers, he encourages people to pick up the a video recorder and don't let their dreams be dreams. It's really hard to find Jim being arrogant or rude off set, you only hear that he is a monster on set.

People who claim that Jim is egotistical should realize that stating the facts has nothing to do with the ego! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Baumer said:

You're right.  I apologize.  That was really gullible of me to do that.  He has always come across as very respectful of other film makers.  And he even helped Bay on TRF3.  Thanks for snapping me out of my tabloid induced coma there. :)

"Hey Baumer have you ever been mistaken for a Cameron hater?"

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Baumer said:

No.

Have you?

"Just tell me one thing, Baumer. You're coming to this thread to contribute to it, right? Not to troll. Not to fuck it up. But to make valuable posts. "

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Baumer said:

Jim's point is not a subjective statement on the state of filmmakers in Hollywood. It's an objective one - he's not been beaten in 19 years at the box office - that is a fact. The only thing that even came close to challenging him was arguably the biggest cultural phenomenon of the last 100 years... and even that couldn't defeat him. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Baumer said:

But it's also hilarious because he's successful enough to be as arrogant as he is 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Jim's point is not a subjective statement on the state of filmmakers in Hollywood. It's an objective one - he's not been beaten in 19 years at the box office - that is a fact. The only thing that even came close to challenging him was arguably the biggest cultural phenomenon of the last 100 years... and even that couldn't defeat him. 

arguably the biggest cultural phenomenon of the last 100 years... and even that couldn't defeat him. 

They used literally everything, massive budget, best current Hack director, 100 years of hype and the biggest marketing budget of all time. I would see cuckball-8 on fruit packaging for heavens sake. However they still fell a small sum of SEVEN HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS short.

xnZmQhJ.jpg

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jessie said:

But it's also hilarious because he's successful enough to be as arrogant as he is 

Arrogance is: 

1. having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

Jim is hardly exaggerating considering he created the two highest grossing films in the history of mankind. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Arrogance is: 

1. having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

Jim is hardly exaggerating considering he created the two highest grossing films in the history of mankind. 

How could the man standing at the top be arrogant for proclaiming he is standing at the top?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

arguably the biggest cultural phenomenon of the last 100 years... and even that couldn't defeat him. 

They used literally everything, massive budget, best current Hack director, 100 years of hype and the biggest marketing budget of all time. I would see cuckball-8 on fruit packaging for heavens sake. However they still fell a small sum of SEVEN HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS short.

This is what makes me love JC. Thousands of marketers working at Disney etc. have spent who knows how many hours and millions of dollars trying to replicate his success - and the best they can do is 3rd place? 

I'm not sure whether it's pathetic on their side, or just Jim's brilliance that makes him undefeated. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

This is what makes me love JC. Thousands of marketers working at Disney etc. have spent who knows how many hours and millions of dollars trying to replicate his success - and the best they can do is 3rd place? 

I'm not sure whether it's pathetic on their side, or just Jim's brilliance that makes him undefeated. 

I think you can do all the marketing and hype in the world, but if you film isn't good enough for people to rewatch. You're not going to touch Avatar or Titanic. I'm not counting sws loonies who saw TFA 15 times to convince themselves it is better than mediocre.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vc2002 said:

"Just tell me one thing, Baumer. You're coming to this thread to contribute to it, right? Not to troll. Not to fuck it up. But to make valuable posts. "

Look man...I just need to know one thing....WHEN--IT--COMES---OUT

• Like 1