Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:16 PM, vc2002 said:

Are you saying well-played marketing is the reason for Titanic's 20x multiplier and Avatar's 10x?

It surely plays a factor in any successful movie.

...but ultimately my struggle with the success of Titanic and Avatar stem from my view that they are good, but not fantastic films...  this is all just my opinion, as Baumer rightly pointed out.  Fair enough.

Edited by Prime Mover and Shaker

Nice interview with Stephen Lang which includes a little bit of sequel news. 

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2016/06/14/interview-gridlocked-villain-stephen-l

We’ve been anticipating the new "Avatar" sequels for a while – any forward movement and what can fans expect?

SL: You all have some idea of who Jim Cameron is and what makes him tick and I do believe it’s fair to say Jim is not out to repeat himself.  In the new scripts a saga unfolds of really epic proportions in terms of the world that’s created, in terms of the creatures that inhabit this world and the landscapes that are being created.  Because remember when you saw Pandora in "Avatar" you saw one part of Pandora – you saw the bioluminescent part of Pandora.  But there are a lot of facets to this planet and a lot more species then we’ve seen.  So that’s one thing I would say, but within this huge canvas that Jim has created is a very emotional, personal and intimate story of survival, of sacrifice and redemption.  It’s really an immense story – it takes my breath away. We’ve been in pre-production on this for a long time, but pre-production on a film like "Avatar" is almost to say it’s in production because so much of what’s being created is being created via technology that when we get to the actual shooting of it – which we will relatively soon – that’s gonna be exciting too I think.  I can’t tell you what to expect other then it’s gonna blow your socks off.        

Read more at http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2016/06/14/interview-gridlocked-villain-stephen-l#8bJPXgrYctUYDoLQ.99

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

Nice interview with Stephen Lang which includes a little bit of sequel news. 

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2016/06/14/interview-gridlocked-villain-stephen-l

We’ve been anticipating the new "Avatar" sequels for a while – any forward movement and what can fans expect?

SL: You all have some idea of who Jim Cameron is and what makes him tick and I do believe it’s fair to say Jim is not out to repeat himself.  In the new scripts a saga unfolds of really epic proportions in terms of the world that’s created, in terms of the creatures that inhabit this world and the landscapes that are being created.  Because remember when you saw Pandora in "Avatar" you saw one part of Pandora – you saw the bioluminescent part of Pandora.  But there are a lot of facets to this planet and a lot more species then we’ve seen.  So that’s one thing I would say, but within this huge canvas that Jim has created is a very emotional, personal and intimate story of survival, of sacrifice and redemption.  It’s really an immense story – it takes my breath away. We’ve been in pre-production on this for a long time, but pre-production on a film like "Avatar" is almost to say it’s in production because so much of what’s being created is being created via technology that when we get to the actual shooting of it – which we will relatively soon – that’s gonna be exciting too I think.  I can’t tell you what to expect other then it’s gonna blow your socks off.        

Read more at http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2016/06/14/interview-gridlocked-villain-stephen-l#8bJPXgrYctUYDoLQ.99

It's going to be better than Avatar.

$22trillion confirmed

When it comes to the Avatar sequels—the first of three is scheduled for release in December 2018—Cameron says he won’t face the problem that many Hollywood productions have, shoehorning in appeal to Chinese audiences. “I don’t need to cater to a Chinese market per se; I just need to keep doing what I’m doing,” he says, noting that China has three times as many movie screens now as it did when Avatar made $200 million there in 2010. (“Keep doing what I’m doing” is about as much information as Cameron will reveal about the sequels; a condition of our interview was that there be no Avatar questions, and even when he announced a surprise third Avatar sequel at CinemaCon in April, he only went as far as to call the films “a true epic saga.”)

When Star Wars: The Force Awakens opened in December and threatened to overtake Avatar as the most popular movie in history, Cameron admits he paid attention—maybe because of some gentle competition between himself and George Lucas over the years. “George is always quick to tell me every time we meet if it was present valued [i.e. adjusted for inflation] that Star Wars would still beat Avatar, but all the secondary markets didn’t exist back then . . . ” he explains, laying out the highly technical back-and-forth between the two celebrated filmmakers. Cameron says you “reconcile yourself to the idea” that eventually some other film will beat Avatar’s global box-office record of $2.7 billion, and “what better than Star Wars?” After all, “before I was a filmmaker, I was a Star Wars fan by a couple of years.”

On the other hand? “I’m perfectly happy that it didn’t happen,” Cameron admits. And what better film to beat Avatar’s record is there, really, than Avatar 2?

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/06/james-cameron-meat-psa?utm_content=bufferdab45&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

When Star Wars: The Force Awakens opened in December and threatened to overtake Avatar as the most popular movie in history, Cameron admits he paid attention—maybe because of some gentle competition between himself and George Lucas over the years. “George is always quick to tell me every time we meet if it was present valued [i.e. adjusted for inflation] that Star Wars would still beat Avatar, but all the secondary markets didn’t exist back then . . . ” he explains, laying out the highly technical back-and-forth between the two celebrated filmmakers. Cameron says you “reconcile yourself to the idea” that eventually some other film will beat Avatar’s global box-office record of $2.7 billion, and “what better than Star Wars?” After all, “before I was a filmmaker, I was a Star Wars fan by a couple of years.”

On the other hand? “I’m perfectly happy that it didn’t happen,” Cameron admits. And what better film to beat Avatar’s record is there, really, than Avatar 2?

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/06/james-cameron-meat-psa?utm_content=bufferdab45&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

So that's why JJ and Disney never got a congratulations from Cameron for TFA passing Avatar domestic? It also looks from this interview that Cameron prefers Lucas' films (including the prequels) to TFA. I actually have a new respect for him now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darth Homer said:

So that's why JJ and Disney never got a congratulations from Cameron for TFA passing Avatar domestic? It also looks from this interview that Cameron prefers Lucas' films (including the prequels) to TFA. I actually have a new respect for him now.

I literally told everyone here a 1000 times that Jim was friends with Locust.

EDIT:
TFA is studio made film rather than a passion project of a director. JJ was the best director on the market that Disney could hire.

I also told everyone that TFA was a glib facimile.

AND LOOK WHO AGREED WITH ME

JAMES FUCKING CAMERON

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Darth Homer said:

Praising the prequels and calling TFA out? Jim is either salty as fuck about TFA destroying Avatar DOM or falling into Lucas' delusional views on good film-making. Let's hope for the former. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Praising the prequels and calling TFA out? Jim is either salty as fuck about TFA destroying Avatar DOM or falling into Lucas' delusional views on good film-making. Let's hope for the former. 

Huh, I didn't really get any of that. :lol: He basically said it didn't break new ground visually (true) and for the most part was a re-entrenchment into the feeling of the original trilogy (also true). And he's also right that you can't really judge one-third of a saga.

I loved TFA and I agree with all those points.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

Huh, I didn't really get any of that. :lol: He basically said it didn't break new ground visually (true) and for the most part was a re-entrenchment into the feeling of the original trilogy (also true). And he's also right that you can't really judge one-third of a saga.

I loved TFA and I agree with all those points.

He minced words a bit, but just look at his reaction and expressions. He's clearly trying to skate around just flat out saying he wasn't a big fan. Not that hard to read. I also think it's comical he thinks the PT broke new ground visually. TPM had already been outdone in visual innovation be the much cheaper The Matrix in the same year. And AOTC and ROTS certainly weren't innovators. 

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

He minced words a bit, but just look at his reaction and expressions. He's clearly trying to skate around just flat out saying he wasn't a big fan. Not that hard to read. I also think it's comical he thinks the PT broke new ground visually. TPM had already been outdone in visual innovation be the much cheaper The Matrix in the same year. And AOTC and ROTS certainly weren't innovators. 

He didn't really go out of his way to praise the PT. I don't particularly care for any of them, but there's also no question they collectively brought a different look to the SW universe (mainly through production design and costuming). One of the key points of TFA was getting things back to a familiar aesthetic. By that very definition it wasn't innovative. And sure, if he felt the plot was mainly a loose re-working of ANH (which he didn't specifically say, but hinted at), that's fine too. I think you're reading a bit more into it than's really necessary... ironically exactly the same sort of thing that people do when they say Nolan loves Michael Bay movies. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

He didn't really go out of his way to praise the PT. I don't particularly care for any of them, but there's also no question they collectively brought a different look to the SW universe (mainly through production design and costuming). One of the key points of TFA was getting things back to a familiar aesthetic. By that very definition it wasn't innovative. And sure, if he felt the plot was mainly a loose re-working of ANH (which he didn't specifically say, but hinted at), that's fine too. I think you're reading a bit more into it than's really necessary... ironically exactly the same sort of thing that people do when they say Nolan loves Michael Bay movies. 

Maybe so, but I still believe he's pissed that TFA beat Avatar DOM. It wouldn't at all be out of character for him (we all know he doesn't have a small ego), and the lack of any congratulatory response from him or his team for a new domestic champion was very telling. 

• Like 1

Nobody knows if Cameron was anger that TFA beats Avatar DOM.All I know is Cameron is a big SW fan.

I never expected that TFA would give a breakthrough in technology area.It is great that Harrison Ford,Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher return to Star Wars movie after 30 years.