Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

You’re also set to return for the Avatar sequels. What are you most looking forward to, in returning to that character and world, and working with James Cameron again?

GIOVANNI RIBISI:  It’s just that. It’s working with Jame Cameron and the rest of the folks. From what I understand, everybody is coming back. Also, I’ve read the four films and it’s incredible. You can’t imagine how it could even be done.

http://collider.com/giovanni-ribisi-interview-sneaky-pete-avatar-sequels/#images

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

@IronJimbo one thing is for sure, you'll be able to laugh at some of us forever, if your insane predictions come true. Avatar 2 is maybe my most anticipated BO run for the next 3 years. Everything could happen (ok, it wont flop thats for sure) and i really hope it isnt a boring 1,2B Worldwide run. Either go under 1B WW or match the first ones crazy success.

But that also means, that you'll have to deal with a LOT of schadenfreude, if the movie struggles (for example) to go higher than JW or TFA

• Like 3

Also just a thought.

This film will have a marketing campaign as in your face as The Force Awakens, they have so much potential money on the line that they'll go all out. Avatar 2's success will directly impact 3,4 and 5s and what ever merchandise they will sell.

I'm also wondering just how incredible the underwater visuals will be.

Edited by IronJimbo

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Also just a thought.

This film will have a marketing campaign as in your face as The Force Awakens, they have so much potential money on the line that they'll go all out. Avatar 2's success will directly impact 3,4 and 5s and what ever merchandise they will sell.

I'm also wondering just how incredible the underwater visuals will be.

Mouth = Open

Pants = Shit 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/09/arts/television/giovanni-ribisi-sneaky-pete-amazon.html

Do those four “Avatar” sequels preclude having a life between now and forever?

I start in 2019, and it could be years, here and there. But I like the idea of being committed and having something in your life beyond the personal that you have to be devoted to for a decade. That’s where you find mastery.

Can you say anything about the story?

Oh God, no. That’s not my business to do so. But I’m so excited to go and work on those films. I had a chance to read the four sequels, and it’s one of those things where you can’t even imagine how it would be possible. They spent 10 years developing the story, and it’s so far beyond my expectations.

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but it looks like BP won't break 0.5A, I mean I'd be happy to be wrong of course, but does this leave IW as the only contender before A2 to have a real shot at it? Or is there a chance a Chinese release will do it/Wildcard over here? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I could be wrong, but it looks like BP won't break 0.5A, I mean I'd be happy to be wrong of course, but does this leave IW as the only contender before A2 to have a real shot at it? Or is there a chance a Chinese release will do it/Wildcard over here? 

I asume that 0.5A means $1.394b. With that premise and asuming that Avatar 2 will be released in December 2020, I think that there are several contenders:

Infinity War and Avengers 4 (IMO, both are close to be locked)

Jurassic World 2 (it has a chance since I think it can explode in China and compensate the probable drops in the rest of the world)

The Lion King (B&B nearly did 0.5A, and TLK is the most beloved Disney classic ever. This can be VERY big)

Toy Story 4 (I see it hard, but China has started to love Pixar)

Star Wars IX (It will rebound from SW8 for sure)

Frozen 2

Fast & Furious 9

Minions 2

Some still untitled Marvel film

And I do not know if a Chinese film could reach that high during next 33 months. It seems too high. It would mean a $500m jump from current top grosser, but who knows...

Edited by peludo
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, peludo said:

I asume that 0.5A means $1.394b. With that premise and asuming that Avatar 2 will be released in December 2020, I think that there are several contenders:

Infinity War and Avengers 4 (IMO, both are close to be locked)

Jurassic World 2 (it has a chance since I think it can explode in China and compensate the probable drops in the rest of the world)

The Lion King (B&B nearly did 0.5A, and TLK is the most beloved Disney classic ever. This can be VERY big)

Toy Story 4 (I see it hard, but China has started to love Pixar)

Star Wars IX (It will rebound from SW8 for sure)

Frozen 2

Fast & Furious 9

Minions 2

Some still untitled Marvel film

And I do not know if a Chinese film could reach that high during next 33 months. It seems too high. It would mean a $500m jump from current top grosser, but who knows...

All great suggestions actually, I think with JJ back for IX we'll see it most certainly do it. 

Same with Frozen 2. 

My broader thinking though is that if IW/Avengers4 will probably be Marvel's last big grab, I mean I can't see how they can keep it growing when new entrants have such a massive slog of films to go through and the fan base doesn't look to be growing outside of its key demos. 

I would love to see Minions 2 do mega money, the success of that franchise fills me with the perfect mixture of laughter and existential dread.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

All great suggestions actually, I think with JJ back for IX we'll see it most certainly do it. 

Same with Frozen 2. 

My broader thinking though is that if IW/Avengers4 will probably be Marvel's last big grab, I mean I can't see how they can keep it growing when new entrants have such a massive slog of films to go through and the fan base doesn't look to be growing outside of its key demos. 

I would love to see Minions 2 do mega money, the success of that franchise fills me with the perfect mixture of laughter and existential dread.  

Never underestimate Kevin Feige...

• Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 8:58 AM, JamesCameronScholar said:

Feige has indicated that post-Avengers 4 they will be resetting their approach to the characters. What that means I don't know but I feel it's tied to the real world reason that the principal actors will be out(IM, Cap, Thor, Hulk). 

There is a chance they agree to cameos(assuming they aren't "dead").

Marvel will begin again in 2020(or Spider-man 2 2019) as the start of a ground floor with audiences.

Whatever they have in mind is going to flow through BP2, DS2, AntMan 3, Spidey2, Captain Marvel 2, GotG3, Black Widow and whatever new characters they introduce us to as solo leads through the 2020s.

Something I was thinking about today was just how much A made, I mean people are calling BP a "phenomenon" because of the business it's doing, but it's not even half of what A did. 

If movies can make this amount of money and be considered really ground breaking, what the hell was Avatar, and I guess this also begs the question... why has it not been studied more, or replicated since? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Something I was thinking about today was just how much A made, I mean people are calling BP a "phenomenon" because of the business it's doing, but it's not even half of what A did. 

If movies can make this amount of money and be considered really ground breaking, what the hell was Avatar, and I guess this also begs the question... why has it not been studied more, or replicated since? 

Because AVATAR made all that money on the back the new 3D craze. The movie itself just is not as memorable for a lot of people. Good movie, breathtaking visually, but you just can't say that it was a cultural phenomenon. It was a technological and box office phenomenon for sure.

When "cultural phenomenons" are manufactured and focus grouped to death ahead by marketing firms paid by studios and media industry, what metrics do you use to measure a cultural phenomenon against one another? The amount of memes, FB/Youtube likes, retweets, cosplay, toy sales or Jimmy Fallon's lame skits? When has that become the milestone of BO performance judgement? 

We're on "Box Office Forums", not "Cultural Phenomenons Forums".

(It's hilarious how hellbent some posters around here are to eradicate Avatar as the benchmark of Box Office worldwide so they try to find any ludicrous ways to belittle or deny its legitimacy like if they could hack Box Office Mojo and rewrite the top grossing movies WW all time adjusted, they'd put the last SW movies first like they wish it were, they'll do it in a heartbeat out of irrational spite and seething resentment. The amount of "Fuck Avatar!" meltdown is surely a "cultural phenomenon" around these parts).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1