Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

5 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

And lets not forget, The Lion King is just Hamlet! If you remove the setting, the lions, the talking animals... 

It's like blue pocohontas in space is all they've got against Avatar... which is fine by me. It's got nothing to do with the quality of the film so we can only assumed they loved it... I mean... who didn't($2.78b)?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YLF said:

does anyone think avatar will be re released in theaters in 3D for its 10 year anniversary ? I never got to see the movie :(

It's possible, can't link the article now but he said it's possible for an Avatar re-release with updated visuals.

Some cinemas do showings of old films, with sone googling you maybe able to find a showing.

Edited by IronJimbo

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

It wouldn't be Avatar... I mean I know there are a lot of fans on here of moving the goal posts, but that statement is as patently ridiculous as saying "Well yeah but if we removed the Titanic from Titanic it's just Romeo and Juliet". You can't remove a fundamental piece of something and still call it the same thing. 

So far we've got: 

Self-defeating arguments. 

False Equivalence

Ignorance of the law of identity

What exactly do schools even teach now? :kitschjob:

Well if we removed titanic from titanic then it wouldn’t be titanic since there wouldn’t have been a ship to sink. And 80% of the movie was about the ship sinking and proper escaping/dying  It’s not even a close comparison lol. 

18 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Well if we removed titanic from titanic then it wouldn’t be titanic since there wouldn’t have been a ship to sink. And 80% of the movie was about the ship sinking and proper escaping/dying  It’s not even a close comparison lol. 

If we remove the Avatar Program from Avatar, then Jake Sully never even leaves Earth. 100% of the movie does not happen. So you're right that 20% difference - not even close. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, YLF said:

does anyone think avatar will be re released in theaters in 3D for its 10 year anniversary ? I never got to see the movie :(

I'm hoping that it gets a rerelease worldwide. Only $220m needed for $3b :ohmygod:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

It's possible, can't link the article now but he said it's possible for an Avatar re-release with updated visuals.

Some cinemas do showings of old films, with sone googling you maybe able to find a showing.

I think Cameron confirmed this might happen, sort of a very limited release to prep everyone for Avatar II. He mentioned that they might re-work the visuals to updated specs and I'm only guessing and hoping that any re-release of Avatar will include a preview of the sequel prior to mass release on the net. 

It wouldn't surprise me if a re-release happens in late 2019 or very early 2020. I'm expecting the promotional machine behind the sequel to be absolutely massive if the movie is killer, Disney/Fox/Lightstorm/Weta and everyone involved will know well in advance what they have on their hands.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

I think Cameron confirmed this might happen, sort of a very limited release to prep everyone for Avatar II. He mentioned that they might re-work the visuals to updated specs and I'm only guessing and hoping that any re-release of Avatar will include a preview of the sequel prior to mass release on the net. 

It wouldn't surprise me if a re-release happens in late 2019 or very early 2020. I'm expecting the promotional machine behind the sequel to be absolutely massive if the movie is killer, Disney/Fox/Lightstorm/Weta and everyone involved will know well in advance what they have on their hands. 

I think we've seen and know enough to know it's going to be killer. No doubt in my mind, not even the smallest amount.

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I know but old cinemas typically don't have 3D. Wasn't the reason for its success was how amazing it was in 3D? 

8 minutes ago, YLF said:

I know but old cinemas typically don't have 3D. Wasn't the reason for its success was how amazing it was in 3D? 

It's 3D was the best and argubably still is the best ever in film.

People loved the 2D big screen too though.

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I've never seen kids more attentive than when they watched Avatar at the cinema. But that may be just an anecdotal evidence with others having different experience. Just to illustrate that one cna have their attention without the usual stuff studios think kids respond to (childish humor, comic relief sidekicks). 

TLJ and the TFA would have done just aswell in cinema without their meme bots or rats, it's the toy sales where they come in huge.

41 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I wonder if the 1B budget is still accurate... knowing Jim, that could easily double before all is said and done. 

40 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I wonder if the 1B budget is still accurate... knowing Jim, that could easily double before all is said and done. 

I'm seeing doubles... it's a sign for the $2b budget.

Also going to have to revise my $3.5bww prediction to $7b for Avatar 2

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 1