Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

@IronJimbo Avatar 2 thread count is at 729 pages, and Solo thread is at 279 pages. Curious fact. Thought you would like to know, since you are that too much into any Avatar numbering fact. :D 

I've always been the first to note how this site has a tragic mental affliction which causes them to love Star Wars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

the run is the icing on the cake to what is going to be a fantastic film... it seems like people on here are hoping for it to fail? Weird really.

Success breeds contempt.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Success breeds contempt.  

I've noticed!

I think on BOT on particular Star Wars is always going to be preferred because of the type of people who are likely to follow box office enough to join a forum about it. Not a knock on Star Wars or Avatar just an observation, general audience is where Avatar thrives not internet movie sites.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I've noticed!

I think on BOT on particular Star Wars is always going to be preferred because of the type of people who are likely to follow box office enough to join a forum about it. Not a knock on Star Wars or Avatar just an observation, general audience is where Avatar thrives not internet movie sites.

There's a Star Wars bias here no doubt, the questions about Avatar arise not just from SW nerds, but from people in general.  Avatar is going to be about 11 years old before the sequel comes out.  A lot has changed in the box office since 2009.  I don't think anyone is questioning that this is going to do well, but it is possible that it could decrease from the original just because times change.  Not saying it will, but it is a possibility.  Me personallly, I don't discount or over look Jim at all and I never will again.  I did it with Avatar and learned my lesson well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

There's a Star Wars bias here no doubt, the questions about Avatar arise not just from SW nerds, but from people in general.  Avatar is going to be about 11 years old before the sequel comes out.  A lot has changed in the box office since 2009.  I don't think anyone is questioning that this is going to do well, but it is possible that it could decrease from the original just because times change.  Not saying it will, but it is a possibility.  Me personallly, I don't discount or over look Jim at all and I never will again.  I did it with Avatar and learned my lesson well.

I'm well aware that $2.78b is a lot of money, it shows by just looking at the list of highest grossing films, it's light years ahead of the rest. It's possible it makes less than that it because the numbers sheer size. However, the more and more I look at it the more confident I become, he's really going to make something special here and I think $3billion more likely than not. This ain't bravado speaking but >$4b is more likely than <$2b.

I agree you saying 11 years meaning it's more unknown, but I don't agree with those who say everyone will have forgotten about Avatar because of the 11 years past.

Edited by IronJimbo

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

This ain't bravado speaking but >$4b is more likely than <$2b.

Sorry, gotta disagree. I can see it going slightly bellow $2b, that's still a ton of money, however, for it do more than $4b it needs to sell like the same amount of tickets than the original and make like $1b in China. Not happening. ;)

12 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Sorry, gotta disagree. I can see it going slightly bellow $2b, that's still a ton of money, however, for it do more than $4b it needs to sell like the same amount of tickets than the original and make like $1b in China. Not happening. ;)

Same amount of tickets as Avatar (without china) and $1b from china.

or

Half amount of tickets as Avatar (without china) and $500m from China

You aren't telling me the latter is more likely, are you?

We're going to need our top scientists to get on what Avatar 2 will look like with certain %ticket sales of Avatar, they should wait til 2020 though

Edited by IronJimbo

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Same amount of tickets as Avatar (without china) and $1b from china.

or

Half amount of tickets as Avatar (without china) and $500m from China

You aren't telling me the latter is more likely, are you?

I guess i am. Although, putting it like that, both seem not very likely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

@Lothar

I'm sorry but that's an april fools joke, the original article was posted on April 1st on http://estonianworld.com, you have to expect small websites to read it then make their own article about it without confirming it's legitimacy

I'm sorry about that. I didn't see that coming but only thing I like was Navi, Estonia. 

It's for real 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navi,_Estonia

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

$3.5b is my current estimate

To quote your projection from some weeks ago

Less than 1.8b is a disaster

1.8b to 2.1b is an extreme underpeformance.

2.1b to 2.4b is far less than expected

2.4b to 2.78b is disappointing

2.78b to 3b is ok

3b to 3.3b is expected

3.3b to 3.7b is great

3.7b to 4b is fanastic

4b.. pack your bags honey we are off to Pandora

So you don't think A2 will have a fanastic boxoffice result. Come on IronJimbo don't hold yourself back. You know youself you didn't type out "4b.. pack your bags honey we are off to Pandora" just because it sounded catchy.

Edited by vc2002
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

To quote your projection from some weeks ago

Less than 1.8b is a disaster

1.8b to 2.1b is an extreme underpeformance.

2.1b to 2.4b is far less than expected

2.4b to 2.78b is disappointing

2.78b to 3b is ok

3b to 3.3b is expected

3.3b to 3.7b is great

3.7b to 4b is fanastic

4b.. pack your bags honey we are off to Pandora

So you don't think A2 will have a fanastic boxoffice result. Come on IronJimbo don't hold yourself back. You know youself you didn't type out "4b.. pack your bags honey we are off to Pandora" just because it sounded catchy.

Im naturally a pessimist tho VC, 5b is in play but I didn't even mention it.

The Disney theme park is adding a new character. The video is also interesting in that some background areas are shaded, curious minds.....

The suits are a bit different from the Amplified Mobility Platform (AMP) mech suits seen in the film: “these are actually suits that have been developed by scientists to go out into the wilderness to explore the plant life and the animals,” explains Executive Producer Laura Offerdahl.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/7/17210506/disney-pandora-world-of-avatar-pandora-utility-suit-walking-mech

Walt_Disney_World_Resort_Pandora_Utility

• Like 2

Regarding China, Wolf Warrior 2 reported gross in China alone last year was $854 million. Unless the sequel gets pulled out of theatres for political reasons like the first one it wouldn't surprise me if II hits $1B in China alone, an increase of almost $800 million right there over Avatar. 

Is $3B out of the question? no, not with the kind of potential upside. 

I think Cameron is once again going to push to bar so far ahead of what everyone else is doing that it's going to take them years to catch up, after watching the last Star Wars I have no doubt that he's going to leave them in the dust. TLJ is about as slapped together as it gets, a really poor movie that doesn't have much to say about anything, empty calories that barely moved the plot, sad because it could be so much more if they spent more time in development. 

Keep a very close eye on Battle Angel and Terminator for some hints/early previews of what might be coming in terms of state of the art visuals from Avatar II. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Regarding China, Wolf Warrior 2 reported gross in China alone last year was $854 million. Unless the sequel gets pulled out of theatres for political reasons like the first one it wouldn't surprise me if II hits $1B in China alone, an increase of almost $800 million right there over Avatar. 

Who's to say Avatar 2 will do more than Wolf Warrior 2, though? That one is so far ahead of everything else. Being a local production has its perks...

Edited by Elessar
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elessar said:

Who's to say Avatar 2 will do more than Wolf Warrior 2, though? That one is so far ahead of everything else. Being a local production has its perks...

So was Avatar in 2009. It stayed #1 for some 3 or 4 years despite the booming market.

agree about the local production and China being a complete wildcard though.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/7/17210506/disney-pandora-world-of-avatar-pandora-utility-suit-walking-mech

Disney’s Avatar park will soon feature a giant walking mech suit

Walt_Disney_World_Resort_Pandora_Utility

http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/291059/p2fb-watch-walking-robot-suit-talks-about-preserving-nature-in-disney-avatar-park/

Pandora Utility Suit was designed as a restoration unit, as opposed to the military-grade AMP suits seen in the movie, according to a Disney World statement.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2