Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Titanic is the Godwin point of any BO discussion, no other movie will ever beat it because it was a genuine 4 quadrant movie, there was something for everyone in that movie and it was special in so many ways.

If you d try to adjust Titanic gross with inflation, 3D, PF, I-Max, emerging OS markets and China, it would be today a 3-3,5 B WW grosser possibly 4B WW, that's how  nuts Titanic numbers were 20 years+ ago.

Even dom I would argue it s the biggest dom bo run in its year of release.

Nothing, any franchise, will ever compare to Titanic.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Titanic is the Godwin point of any BO discussion, no other movie will ever beat it because it was a genuine 4 quadrant movie, there was something for everyone in that movie and it was special in so many ways.

If you d try to adjust Titanic gross with inflation, 3D, PF, I-Max, emerging OS markets and China, it would be today a 3-3,5 B WW grosser possibly 4B WW, that's how  nuts Titanic numbers were 20 years+ ago.

Even dom I would argue it s the biggest dom bo run in its year of release.

Nothing, any franchise, will ever compare to Titanic.

Even 4B is low, I think to have a Titanic level success now would be $5B+ and I'm serious. 

• Like 1

I remember seeing titanic on vhs with my whole family. Censored version. B/w 1999-2001, In rural India. It did 55 crore rs. in 1998-99 in indian theatrical market. Hollywood movies are seen as a super hit, if they do this much today in India. I am still dumbfounded, how it managed to find this big of a audience in such a small market ( for hlwd films). 

No nostalgia, no big IP, just pure phenomenon. Hit in all the markets, not like other non-cameron $2 billion grossers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Even 4B is low, I think to have a Titanic level success now would be $5B+ and I'm serious. 

Some quick and dirty math - if you apply the domestic inflation factor used by Box Office Mojo to the International Box $$ you'll end with a total worldwide gross of $4.11 B. I know it's not that simple since the price of tickets and the exchange rates can vary wildly over 20 years but it gives a general sense of how big Titanic was. Applying the same idea to Avatar and the gross climbs to $3.26 B. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

What I learned on the internet is that hating on anything Avatar is seen as cool and trendy but hating on what SW has become is seen as pathetic and miserable.

Disney doesn't even give so much shit about SW like they did back in 2012-2015 now that they have Avatar in their catalogue, a movie that has been proven popular in all the new markets SW has failed to break out since Disney's IP acquisition.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

reddit is so far behind us in box office analysis.

Of course most are, but reddit does seem to be evolving for the better.

Most of them are no longer predicting a flop because the first was "all FX" and "no story". In any case, the fact that even reddit'rs think $1.5B is the floor for this is absolutely fantastic. This can only increase from there. There were a few on there more sensibly predicting $2.5-3.5B instead, which is better. My current thoughts are $2.5B (as bare minimum with no extra info) so this feels reassuring. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Of course most are, but reddit does seem to be evolving for the better.

Most of them are no longer predicting a flop because the first was "all FX" and "no story". In any case, the fact that even reddit'rs think $1.5B is the floor for this is absolutely fantastic. This can only increase from there. There were a few on there more sensibly predicting $2.5-3.5B instead, which is better. My current thoughts are $2.5B (as bare minimum with no extra info) so this feels reassuring. 

You have to remember that sometimes the level of thought in some of the posts simply isnt there.

They won't know anything about the production, including how much time was spent on the tech, design and scripts.

They won't know much about who James Cameron is and why he is reliable.

They don't even understand why Avatar did well.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

What I learned on the internet is that hating on anything Avatar is seen as cool and trendy but hating on what SW has become is seen as pathetic and miserable.

Disney doesn't even give so much shit about SW like they did back in 2012-2015 now that they have Avatar in their catalogue, a movie that has been proven popular in all the new markets SW has failed to break out since Disney's IP acquisition.

That's actually a good point. MCU is big in emerging plus asian markets but not so much in europe and japan. Avatar may become their every market hit franchise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Premium George said:

That's actually a good point. MCU is big in emerging plus asian markets but not so much in europe and japan. Avatar may become their every market hit franchise.

Yeah and they can sell James Cameron action figures to replace their unpopular SW toys being left on the shelf:

james-cameron-gets-his-very-own-aliens-c

https://geektyrant.com/news/james-cameron-gets-his-very-own-aliens-colonial-marine-action-figure

• Haha 1

The new Empire magazine has a interview with Jim followed by a Q&A from fans.

From memory the best bits

• Jim says the pressure on making Avatar 2 a great sequel is huge, but he's also has to make A3>A2 then A4>A3 then A5>A4. So he made the visuals and imaginary get grander in each film. However he then came to realise that's it's the characters and wanting to see what happens next is what will bring people back
  • We can do everything with CGI now and there are no limitations. Avatar 2 is the hardest it can get due to doing peformance capture underwater which makes it incredibly complex.
  • He's noted that over the last 10 years there has been no new IP, but doesn't feel as though that matters. He believes he can make billions again.
  • Says he got flamed for the naming Avatar, the producers shit-talked him for it. Says that you don't have to follow the rules.,
  • Favourite Arny film is predator, loved the infrared
  • Thought it was funny Aquaman was going against Alita and that he's effectively competing against himself (Entourage)
  • Says raising the bar southpark scene is episode and it shows that he's made it
  • Also AMP suit quaritch will toast T-800 and the Alien Queen
  • He still has the filming bug and the only thing that's going to stop him making films is being hit by a truck of being defeated by the inevitable march of time
Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

37 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The new Empire magazine has a interview with Jim followed by a Q&A from fans.

From memory the best bits

• Jim says the pressure on making Avatar 2 a great sequel is huge, but he's also has to make A3>A2 then A4>A3 then A5>A4. So he made the visuals and imaginary get grander in each film. However he then came to realise that's it's the characters and wanting to see what happens next is what will bring people back
  • We can do everything with CGI now and there are no limitations. Avatar 2 is the hardest it can get due to doing CGI underwater which makes it incredibly complex.
  • He's noted that over the last 10 years there has been no new IP, but doesn't feel as though that matters. He believes he can make billions again.
  • Says he got flamed for the naming Avatar, the producers shit-talked him for it. Says that you don't have to follow the rules.,
  • Favourite Arny film is predator, loved the infrared
  • Thought it was funny Aquaman was going against Alita and that he's effectively competitive against himself (Entourage)
  • Says raising the bar southpark scene is episode and it shows that he's made it
  • Also AMP suit quaritch will toast T-800 and the Alien Queen
  • He still has the filming bug and the only thing that's going to stop him making films is being hit by a truck of being defeated by the inevitable march of time

1- I agree the pressure on Avatar II is huge, if it fails miserably it could put IV and V in jeopardy. I can't see that happening (failing).

2- CGI is ridiculously good when it's done right, look at those million dollar shots from the first movie, if that becomes the standard benchmark for all frames in the sequels then WOW. 

3- If the total production budget is close to $1 B then they better be confident that they have something that is equal to or better than the first movie

4- It would be great to see Arnie as some type of RDA badass corporate type sent to Pandora to kick some blue ass. 

5- He won't admit it but 20th Century Fox blinked hard on Alita...the buzz is not there for them to go up against Aqua/Poppins/Bee and whatever else, too much risk putting a very costly potential new franchise in that year end slot. 

6- Stephen Lang did say that the new AMP suits are far superior to the old 

7- James Cameron is a machine, he can't be stopped, he knows the value of work.   

Cliff Curtis said recently that they can't overhype these movies, that's how good they are, they will blow people away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also The Berg hugged Jon Landau at a fox screening of Avatar a couple weeks before release and told him it was the most amazing cinematic experience he's had in 33 years.

Think he means the original Star Wars

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1