Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

8 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

Do y'all actually believe Avatar 2 will make $4 billion or even $5 billion? 

Jim has done the unbelievable many times before. 

7 hours ago, Lothar said:
1 Avatar Fox $2,788.0 $760.5 27.3% $2,027.5 72.7% 2009^
2 Titanic Par. $2,187.5 $659.4 30.1% $1,528.1 69.9% 1997^

Seeing this always fills me with a strange warmth. 

44 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

saving the earth and exploring... what else?

I'd rather live no a dead Earth with 5 more Jim films than a living one with only 4 more. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Jim has done the unbelievable many times twice before. 

That doesn't mean he will keep doing it every single movie he makes.  

You think Star Wars fatigue is a thing, wait until there are 4 Avatar movies in four years.  With Star Wars it hasn't even been the mainline episodes either and there's already fatigue!

I think Avatar 2 can still do very well, but each subsequent one, there will be drop off. 

• Knock It Off 1

23 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

You think Star Wars fatigue is a thing, wait until there are 4 Avatar movies in four years.  With Star Wars it hasn't even been the mainline episodes either and there's already fatigue!

I think Avatar 2 can still do very well, but each subsequent one, there will be drop off. 

I'm afraid I have to agree that other movies will decrease.

Only if Avatar 2 makes 12B then I think there's slightest chance of others to decrease 100M to 200M WW from A2.

:hahaha: 

1 hour ago, Deep Wang said:

wait until there are 4 Avatar movies in four years

That's not happening. Go and recheck the release dates. 

51 minutes ago, a2k said:

A2 will have 11 years of inflation and growth of markets in it's favour. Had it come 5 odd years after A1, would have expected less, but come 2020 I feel 2.5B will happen.

That would still be less Avatar made $2.8B and people think it will struggle to break $3B... 

A2 has a higher chance of breaking $4B than it does of being below $2B, I don't think people seem to realise that. 

• Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

no fatigue here

If Titanic and Avatar managed to hold up against A4 and TLK next year, and AVatar 2 indeed deliver some ground breaking achievement, we can see top 3 films are dominated by James Cameron

And if it is well received by critics and industry , avatar 2 maybe nominated for oscar best picture! making top 3 films by JC and all receive oscar nomination for best film!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

What, check the dates that have changed how many times now?

I'll believe it when I actually see it.

The creation of perfection is a transient and obviously difficult process. It is better to have something later and perfect, than now and low quality. Film making is not a factory process, certainly not for Jim. 

Not that I expect him to move from the already declared release dates at this stage, and even were that the case he has at no point said they would be released a year apart, year after year. 

I mean if you want factory made movies that are pushed out year on year there's always Marvel movies and Star Wars, they're quite popular. Yet still, they still haven't come close to threatening the king. :Gaga:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The creation of perfection is a transient and obviously difficult process. It is better to have something later and perfect, than now and low quality. Film making is not a factory process, certainly not for Jim. 

Not that I expect him to move from the already declared release dates at this stage, and even were that the case he has at no point said they would be released a year apart, year after year. 

I mean if you want factory made movies that are pushed out year on year there's always Marvel movies and Star Wars, they're quite popular. Yet still, they still haven't come close to threatening the king. :Gaga:

You guys really are a hoot, let me tell you. 

Also, in the span of 13 years, Cameron gave us:

Terminator(actually perfect)

Aliens(near perfect)

Abyss

Terminator 2

True Lies

Titanic

In the 21 years since then, we've gotten:

So don't tell me he needs time to crank out a "perfect" movie.  He was doing that shit in his sleep 30 years ago.

I saw Avatar like 5 times in IMAX and really enjoyed it, but when you stack it up to his previous effort, its far and away the weakest of the lot.

I really fucking miss old Cameron.

• Like 1

article - Jon Landau posted the link on his FB account. 

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/11/avatar-sequels-james-cameron-visual-effects-weta-1202020752/amp/Nov 15/2018

It’s no secret that James Cameron wants to go virtual underwater for “Avatar 2” and “Avatar 3,” which he’s currently directing together (principal photography has wrapped). That not only entails Weta Digital conquering underwater performance capture but also the cast members (including Kate Winslet as free-diver Ronal of the Metkayina tribe) learning how to hold their breath.

IndieWire got a tech and storytelling update from Lightstorm producer Jon Landau during a recent set visit for “Alita: Battle Angel” at Weta in Wellington, New Zealand. “When you’re doing performance capture in a tank, you can’t be in scuba gear because the bubbles will distract,” he said. “Not only that but we can’t record what the mouth would be doing. So we had to teach everybody how to free breath hold.”

The production hired world champion free-diver Kirk Krach to train the cast, with Winslet and Sigourney Weaver learning how to hold their breath underwater for seven and four minutes, respectively. (Winslet had practice on both “Titanic” and “The Mountain Between Us.”) “And we had to make them comfortable enough [to capture] their performances underwater,” Landau added.

The training began with sense memory exercises in Hawaii, where the returning cast members (led by Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Weaver, and CCH Pounder) got reacquainted with the performance capture process they underwent for the Pandora rain forest. “But this time we also did the water,” said Landau. “And we did the breath holding, not in the confines of a pool, but in the open ocean. We also did a night dive with manta rays. And there’s nothing more Pandoran that that experience of seeing these sea creatures that look otherworldly coming out of the dark and swimming by you at night.”

The major hurdle in conquering underwater performance capture, according to Cameron, is “the interface between the air and the water, which forms a moving mirror. That moving mirror reflects all the dots and markers, and it creates a bunch of false markers…so we’ve had to figure out how to get around that problem, which we did…with a lot of horsepower, innovation, imagination.”

Landau emphasized that, overall, there have been two major advancements since the first “Avatar” game-changer: “We are able to do much more lighting on the virtual production stage before the material goes to Weta,” he said. “And it’s a much more direct 1:1 correlation, so that we are really lighting with their package, at a lower-res, a lower proxy, but it will save them work downstream.

“But, again, as we’ve always said, these movies are more about the facial performance than anything else. And, on the first movie, we used a single, standard definition camera to record the facial performance. Now we’re using two HD cameras to record that performance, to make sure that we’re holding to as close as possible to what Zoe gives us. And with two CG puppets [one for the actor and one for the character], Weta is taking that to the next level. Then we can re-target it and adapt it.”

They’re still determining the frame rate issue (120 fps is the maximum) to deliver the best possible three-dimensional window into a world experience. “But high frame rate is a distribution presentation issue and not necessarily a capture issue,” Landau said. “We don’t record our movies in Atmos — we mix them in Atmos. So there will be scenes that we generate at a higher frame rate and scenes that we generate at a lower frame rate and we will play them all back at that higher frame rate.”

Story wise, Landau reaffirmed Cameron’s commitment to expand the world of Pandora to fit an epic, “Godfather”-inspired family saga about identity, legacy, and preserving the planet’s ecosystem. “And at the center of the ‘Avatar’ [sequels] is gonna be the Sully family. They now have kids and what are all of the dynamics of that? It’s also a mixed race family. So you’re dealing with all of these other issues and other clans. When you’ve been the one in the rain forest and you’re so adept at everything, and you suddenly go to a clan that lives on the reef, you’re now the fish out of water, and you’ve gotta learn and you’ve gotta adapt.”

“Avatar 2” will be released by Fox on December 18, 2020; followed by “Avatar 3” on December 17, 2021; “Avatar 4” on December 20, 2024; and “Avatar 5” on December 19, 2025.

Edited by Deuce66
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Still doubting Jim... they never learn

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:27 AM, JamesCameronScholar said:

Jim has been on various NASA advisory boards for some time. 

:sadno: doesn't sound good.  NASA seems very under-employed at 18,000 unless that is only for the Main Base...

I'm wondering if that means they turn down a lot of applicants, or *fingers crossed* no one applies. 

Anyways, it seems NASA has been linked with Walt Disney since whenever so i'm guessing NASA is spending most of their resources on defense or practical human accommodation.  :rofl:

NASA + Disney + Star Wars + Avatar/Cameron....  I wonder if Elon Musk gets involved too 

Edited by nature league - matrix

18 hours ago, The Futurist said:

2 years and a few days before the day of reckoning.

Cameron Loonies Unite !!!

:shades:

could be argued non-Cameron Loonies are in fact the loonies

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I finally, after nearly 10 years, saw Avatar for the first time ever.

Reveal hidden contents

now imagine that in cinema