Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

6 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Wrong again. They ended Avatar's run early. They've been cracking down on western media for decades.

Avatar run ended early? Avatar is one of rare Hollywood movie that continued in Chinese New Year. It ran for more than 2 months, way more than usual 2 weeks license film had back then.

On 3/12/2021 at 9:54 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

Tomorrow will be Avatar's highest single day in China. In original release, the opening day was around $6.8M, grossing $33.6M in next 6 days. In next 7 days another $34.4M, ending its allowed run but was given extension to run in 3D and IMAX.

Avatar week wise Data (Week here means Monday-Sunday)

Previews - $2.9M

Week 1 - $40.4M

Week 2 - $34.4M

Week 3 - $28.9M

Week 4 - $23.4M

Week 5 - $17.2M

Week 6 - $12M (Chinese New Year Week, another life to film. Probably only Hollywood film to play in CNY as I can recall)

Week 7 - $14.7M

Week 8 - $8.4M

Week 9 - $5.3M

Week 10 - $5.1M

Week 11 - $2.9M

Week 12 - $1.4M

Did another $2.1M after Week 12.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A Japanese Source Forecast $1.2B for Avatar 2 in China. 🌼

• Like 2

15 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Avatar run ended early? Avatar is one of rare Hollywood movie that continued in Chinese New Year. It ran for more than 2 months, way more than usual 2 weeks license film had back then.

Quoting yourself as a source... can't make it up.

On 11/10/2021 at 7:16 PM, Maggie said:

The pandemic has spoiled Jim's gang dreams of making 3-4B. (Not that it had a chance of happening even in normal times). And if it keeps that December date, it will disappoint big time. Corona will be going strong in the winter time.  1-1.5B is my prediction for now

it's definitely made it a lot more confusing. Before 4 billies seemed pretty obvious

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

A Japanese Source Forecast $1.2B for Avatar 2 in China. 🌼

I wish they didn't do things like this. I preffered everyone being in the dark about how big A2 was, gonna be harder to capitlise when everyone and the kitchen sink knows 5 billies is on the table.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 4:25 PM, Elessar said:

Admittedly, i'm not going "yay a bunch of kinds!". Hopefully they won't be annoying. ;)

Avatar was already hokey, but a bunch of blue kids running around as major characters sounds absolutely horrific.   I'm rooting for frankenstein zombie Stephen Lang.

On 11/12/2021 at 6:55 AM, SchumacherFTW said:

They haven't even had a billion dollar movie yet and you think they're going to jump straight to 2bn? Come on man, the CCP will not allow a western film to break that barrier first. 

That China is an Authoratarian Dictatorship that seems to be getting worse is something a lot of people here ignore.

And, yes, that the CCP seems to be cracking done on the popularity of foreign films seems pretty obvous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

That China is an Authoratarian Dictatorship that seems to be getting worse is something a lot of people here ignore.

And, yes, that the CCP seems to be cracking done on the popularity of foreign films seems pretty obvous.

Really..... pointless. Avatar was the only Hollywood film running in Chinese New Year. So far, I do not remember any Hollywood film getting chance on to release on Chinese New Year /Hollywood lockout period. Here, James Cameron is exception &amounting above $200M with that low screen counts were back in 2010s, itself is self-reliant to say that Avatar 2 will break every impossible records. Not to forget that Endgame earned a fairly less numbers in Europe, while scoring heights in Mainland China. It's a bitter truth but without scoring great numbers in there, Avengers Endgame would not have been able to topple Avatar.

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

I see that arguing with a Cameron fanboy is still like arguing with a over the top relgious believer. 

BTW, I am not a fanboy, just speaking facts /universal truths. Well, in my country, Avatar scored almost 3x of Avengers: Endgame. It's 

$171,990,825 vs $55,304,132

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2021 at 1:46 PM, JamesCameronScholar said:

I like you Isaac.

Hey JC scholar, I'm back my friend and im loving Avatars enthusiasm and pointing out the fact endgame pales in comparison to avatars box office domination. Adjust the nums avatar in end games box office year likely would have hit 5 billion ww. And at least 1 billion domestic. Avatar was in way less theaters and imagine if it had had the same amount of screens as end game. Wow

Edited by Sheldon Cr
  • Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 1:47 PM, IronJimbo said:

it's definitely made it a lot more confusing. Before 4 billies seemed pretty obvious

Heck 5 billion or more was on the table before pandemic.

Should still be a mega run as folks will keep going back ww. I'm betting in some locations maybe up to 9-12 times. Amazing even in pandemic av2 may still fly over 2billion.

And if theaters get back to at least 2018 levels domestic and ww.. Hmm we may yet see a 4 billion ww gross😎💪💪

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Heck 5 billion or more was on the table before pandemic.

Should still be a mega run as folks will keep going back ww. I'm betting in some locations maybe up to 9-12 times. Amazing even in pandemic av2 may still fly over 2billion.

And if theaters get back to at least 2018 levels domestic and ww.. Hmm we may yet see a 4 billion ww gross😎💪💪

if we removed covid and cinemas were back to 100%, 6billies would be on the table easy.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

if we removed covid and cinemas were back to 100%, 6billies would be on the table easy.

Btw I don't see JCS. 

Everything is possible with James Cameron. Everyone will witness breathtaking technology used in A2. I'm afraid numbers will become irrelevant. 

• Like 1