Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

27 minutes ago, Inuyaki said:

I am surprised about the reception of the trailer here.

I thought it was boring and kinda good looking, but not that much more than the first movie... or is my memory playing tricks here?

Not seeing this doing well. First was carried by European legs, because nothing else was really worth watching and it was an impressive technical feat back then. But story was already meh. What exactly has this one going for it?

If other trailers are not way better, I am calling below $2bn for now.

It's quite amazing how people can already tell the fate of a movie based on a short teaser whose job is to announce the film without going into details. That comes later.

The original was carried by legs worldwide because people wanted to see it, in some cases again and again. It's not like the market was completely barren with Sherlock Holmes and Alvin basically being released during the same timeframe, both of which - btw- did better than Shazam whose sequel will share the spotlight with Avatar 2.

This comes up so many times and i'll keep disagreeing. Pretty pictures alone will not get you close to 3 billions, people responded to the story, too. What has the sequel going for it? Well, James Cameron. I'd say that's a lot.

And even if it does less than 2 billion, that's still "doing well".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deuce66 said:

I just watched what looked like a packed house somewhere in France reacting to the teaser and they were losing their ****, keep in mind also that this is a Marvel crowd for Doc Strange 2. So yeah that's one for team positive. 

Can I get a link?

25 minutes ago, Elessar said:

It's quite amazing how people can already tell the fate of a movie based on a short teaser whose job is to announce the film without going into details. That comes later.

The original was carried by legs worldwide because people wanted to see it, in some cases again and again. It's not like the market was completely barren with Sherlock Holmes and Alvin basically being released during the same timeframe, both of which - btw- did better than Shazam whose sequel will share the spotlight with Avatar 2.

This comes up so many times and i'll keep disagreeing. Pretty pictures alone will not get you close to 3 billions, people responded to the story, too. What has the sequel going for it? Well, James Cameron. I'd say that's a lot.

And even if it does less than 2 billion, that's still "doing well".

I think 1.5 billion worldwide is where it ends up. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Pretty pictures alone will not get you close to 3 billions, people responded to the story, too.

Back then they did. We went in with friends multiple times just because it looked cool (3D was "new" after all). People still went to see that film after 2-3 months here in Europe.

The story is just Pocahontas in space. If only for story, I would rather watch Pocahontas again than Avatar.

Think this was the theater reaction vid some were asking for

Think some people forget how big of a deal avatar was in europe, I know exchange rates and such, but it almost tripled endgame in some important markets and is remembered very fondly if you go looking at the regional imdb-variants

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

For me personnally, ive always argued that the reception of the first teaser/trailer for this movie will be the best first indicator on how well it will do at the box office. Without any footage to judge the movies reception on, its just a guessing game for everyone.

So when more reactions come in, the picture imo will become a bit clearer on how massive this will be. Gonna look out for my crowds reactions when i see Doctor Strange on Sunday.

6 hours ago, Inuyaki said:

Back then they did. We went in with friends multiple times just because it looked cool (3D was "new" after all). People still went to see that film after 2-3 months here in Europe.

The story is just Pocahontas in space. If only for story, I would rather watch Pocahontas again than Avatar.

This seems way too anedoctal. You don't simply walk into being the highest grossing film by lack of competition, hell in a ton of markets especially in Europe that's a title it still holds to this day (and living in a country where this is the case, yeah, the movie still seems beloved to me).

Considering the movie had very strong reactions not just from the audience (the film had an A/A+ cinemascore just about everywhere lol) but also from critics (where it had very strong reviews and even got nominated for BP in a time where that was starting to become increasingly harder for blockbusters), I'd say there was (and is) a little more to it than just people liking the visuals.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Inuyaki said:

The story is just Pocahontas in space.

Which version did you watch? I missed that part where John Smith skinned a Native and walked around in his body for the majority of the film and then had his brain implanted into that Native's body at the end. 

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

7 hours ago, Inuyaki said:

The story is just Pocahontas in space.

You can say that pretty much about every movie. "This one is just like this and that." Batman is just Seven in Gotham City.

And between James Cameron's Pocahontas in space and a Disney cartoon i'd rather watch the former. ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Which version did you watch? I missed that part where John Smith skinned a Native and walked around in his body for the majority of the film and then had his brain implanted into that Native's body at the end. 

People dont get it. Its s typical hero's journey story, which was told since human civilisations exists, for example the gilgamesh epos, which is thousands of years old, is a heros journey story. Most of the big blockbusters follow the pattern of the hero's journey, lotr, sw, hp and so on. The pocahontas, ferngully argument is just a lame excuse.

Edited by dignam
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dignam said:

People dont get it. Its s typical hero's journey story, which was told since human civilisations exists, for example the gilgamesh epos, which is thousands of years old, is a heros journey story. Most of the big blockbusters follow the pattern of the hero's journey, lotr, sw, hp and so on. The pocahontas, ferngully argument is just a lame excuse.

As Tolstoy (I think) said there are only two stories 1. A stranger comes to town and 2. A man [or woman] goes on a journey. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

For me personnally, ive always argued that the reception of the first teaser/trailer for this movie will be the best first indicator on how well it will do at the box office. Without any footage to judge the movies reception on, its just a guessing game for everyone.

So when more reactions come in, the picture imo will become a bit clearer on how massive this will be. Gonna look out for my crowds reactions when i see Doctor Strange on Sunday.

I feel like germans (especially northern germans like me ) in general react very little to trailers.

So I was surprised to hear some reactions for it yesterday evening before DS.

But really the visuals looked better in the teaser for Avatar than in DS - without wanting to say anything bad about that movie because Marvel does those really well too.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

As Tolstoy (I think) said there are only two stories 1. A stranger comes to town and 2. A man [or woman] goes on a journey. 

And then theres the third type of story: Rubber (2010).

• Haha 1

All I'll say is that Avatar (2009) is the only movie I can confidently say my entire family went to see in a theater. They don't usually go to see movies on the big screen. I remember my brother taking me 5 times. It'll be interesting to see if it'll have the same impact.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

I feel like germans (especially northern germans like me ) in general react very little to trailers.

So I was surprised to hear some reactions for it yesterday evening before DS.

But really the visuals looked better in the teaser for Avatar than in DS - without wanting to say anything bad about that movie because Marvel does those really well too.

Yes, thats why its easy to see if a trailer gets a good reception here. If theres dead silence - thats normal. If there is mild chatter - thats incredibly amazing.

If there is clapping happening, i would know i live in the Matrix.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Lothar said:

Does anyone remember this? Back in 2014.

James Cameron says the 'Avatar' sequels will make you 'shit yourself with your mouth wide open'

https://www.theverge.com/2014/11/26/7295013/james-cameron-avatar-sequels-oh-god-no

that was in 2014? I remember it well but now i feel old as hell... THAT WAS 8 YEARS AGO??

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Think this was the theater reaction vid some were asking for

Think some people forget how big of a deal avatar was in europe, I know exchange rates and such, but it almost tripled endgame in some important markets and is remembered very fondly if you go looking at the regional imdb-variants

I don’t really like the CGI of the final shot tbh (the mangrove trees part). It looked too CGI especially the roots parts. That combined with flying creature make the image overall feel a bit too video game-like. That shot is the only shot I dislike from the whole teaser. The flying movement itself does look realistic through. 

2 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Yes, thats why its easy to see if a trailer gets a good reception here. If theres dead silence - thats normal. If there is mild chatter - thats incredibly amazing.

If there is clapping happening, i would know i live in the Matrix.

It's pretty similar in the UK, only big franchise films with hysterical fanbases do people ever clap and cheer in Cinema. That is also only on the first weekend by the way.

Thankfully I've managed to avoid it my entire life but we'll see, the UK gets more and more Americanised.

• Like 1