Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

11 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Jim is trying to get a global message to the world about the enviroment, he believes the world is on the path to destruction and the sequels are his chance to get this message across.

No, my point still stands.  I know he has done other stuff, but to claim he is making this movie as a global message about the environment, while we are quite possibly careening towards the point of no return, he's taking his sweet time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

No, my point still stands.  I know he has done other stuff, but to claim he is making this movie as a global message about the environment, while we are quite possibly careening towards the point of no return, he's taking his sweet time.

Does it? He's not taking his time, he's being doing otherthings to help the enviroment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Does it? He's not taking his time, he's being doing otherthings to help the enviroment.

I was fortunate enough to attend a talk by Nicola Beaumont at PML and she openly said that they'd be 10 years behind where they are now on both Marine Systems Modelling and on their Ocean Acidification work were it not for the support of JC.

They're on the south coast Jimbo and very welcoming to visitors, if you find yourself in that area I'd suggest a visit. The sheer amount of projects they're working on is astounding and provides some hope that we may yet 'turn the tide'.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I was fortunate enough to attend a talk by Nicola Beaumont at PML and she openly said that they'd be 10 years behind where they are now on both Marine Systems Modelling and on their Ocean Acidification work were it not for the support of JC.

They're on the south coast Jimbo and very welcoming to visitors, if you find yourself in that area I'd suggest a visit. The sheer amount of projects they're working on is astounding and provides some hope that we may yet 'turn the tide'.

I'm barely down there but that would be cool to check out.

10years? Jim really is putting in a shift for the cause isn't he

Guys, we're gonna have to be the JC of this forum if we're gonna keep pushing the limits and get this thread to 2000 pages before the film opens. The hard and fast formula of the thread is "page count x 2M = worldwide dollars".

Edited by ZurgXXR
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, ZurgXXR said:

Guys, we're gonna have to be the JC of this forum if we're gonna keep pushing the limits and get this thread to 2000 pages before the film opens. The hard and fast formula of the thread is "page count x 2 = worldwide dollars".

Wait - that currently would be just 2250$ - don't you mean page cont x 2 x 1000?

But I think that will be possible - we have our daily posters in here.

I am really hoping this has some good visuals and they were able to develop a proper story. (So I actually have a reason to try out IMAX).

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Wait - that currently would be just 2250$ - don't you mean page cont x 2 x 1000?

But I think that will be possible - we have our daily posters in here.

I am really hoping this has some good visuals and they were able to develop a proper story. (So I actually have a reason to try out IMAX).

Watch in 4k if you can.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Dude, relax!  You were specifically talking about the movies, not his environmental work.  In the case of presenting a message to the world at large about the dangers of not caring for the environment in the form of a movie, he is taking his sweet time.  Meanwhile, he is doing real work behind the scenes to make changes that will have an actual impact and improve the environment.

Both of these things can be true.  People are gonna crack some jokes and you have to try and not get SO defensive about it(big ask, I know).

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ZurgXXR said:

Guys, we're gonna have to be the JC of this forum if we're gonna keep pushing the limits and get this thread to 2000 pages before the film opens. The hard and fast formula of the thread is "page count x 2M = worldwide dollars".

Can you imagine? What's the current record of most pages before a movie opens? BvS?

5 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Dude, relax!  You were specifically talking about the movies, not his environmental work.  In the case of presenting a message to the world at large about the dangers of not caring for the environment in the form of a movie, he is taking his sweet time.  Meanwhile, he is doing real work behind the scenes to make changes that will have an actual impact and improve the environment.

Both of these things can be true.  People are gonna crack some jokes and you have to try and not get SO defensive about it(big ask, I know).

Could he have got it out sooner? Yeah sure. Would be that more optimal for maximum impact, you can't say.

The time spent preparing the saga and planning it out, R&D on the tech and all that could be vital. Then the fact that actually touching grass and doing enviromentlist work for 13 years gives him an important perspective needed in making the films.

I think if the Avatar sequels were released in 2016 the originally planned it would not have been a good time.

We would have been amongst everyones Star Wars & MCU obession.

The tech and visuals would have been far far closer to Avatar (2009)

It would have been rushed and they wouldn't have been able to spend years doing the scripts and getting them right

The rendering power much less too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZurgXXR said:

Would actually be page count x 2 x 1000000. I fixed it. Good job contributing to the goal! 

Oh man, true. 

Watch in 4k if you can.

I have nothing that comes even remotely close to that - my laptop has like 900x1400 or something like that.

I thought the regular trailer looked nice before Doctor Strange.

11 minutes ago, ZurgXXR said:

Not 100% sure but that's likely correct. BvS hit 2200 before the US opening. 

WHAT? How did that manage to hit 2200 before opening.

I think if the Avatar sequels were released in 2016 the originally planned it would not have been a good time.

We would have been amongst everyones Star Wars & MCU obession.

The tech and visuals would have been far far closer to Avatar (2009)

It would have been rushed and they wouldn't have been able to spend years doing the scripts and getting them right

The rendering power much less too

Love a good wait between movies. Makes it feel like an event. (Sad we're gonna get the other avatar sequels in short succession after Avatar 2 tbh)

49 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Love a good wait between movies. Makes it feel like an event. (Sad we're gonna get the other avatar sequels in short succession after Avatar 2 tbh)

This is something you can actually blame Disney for. The sequels were meant to come in pairs with a gap, 2&3 in back to back decembers then some years gaps before 4&5 back to back

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Taruseth said:

WHAT? How did that manage to hit 2200 before opening.

Online discussions about big franchise movies were at their peak back then, and BvS was something that people were very curious about. It helps that there was a constant barrage of news and rumors about the movie, as opposed to the Avatar sequels, which managed to stay off the radar for a while. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

The more I think about it the more I think "cultural impact" is actually a poisoned chalice. Think about Han Solo, an iconic character, Buzz Lightyear, again an iconic character. Huge cultural impact. 

Yet they've both shown they're box office bombs. They can't move beyond the craters in culture they themselves have created, even when they're beloved. 

I think JC cutting the head off of the hydra and letting everything sleep for a decade has been a master stroke. 

• Like 2

I think with Top Gun Maverick and Spiderman No way Home have shown that Domestic cinema is actually in a really really good place for making more money than ever.

A comparatively as strong Avatar (2009) performance this December would make over a billion dollars domestic.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 3