Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The more I think about it the more I think "cultural impact" is actually a poisoned chalice. Think about Han Solo, an iconic character, Buzz Lightyear, again an iconic character. Huge cultural impact. 

Yet they've both shown they're box office bombs. They can't move beyond the craters in culture they themselves have created, even when they're beloved. 

I think JC cutting the head off of the hydra and letting everything sleep for a decade has been a master stroke. 

People never even tried to explain the link between cultural impact and box office, even when they use it to detract from Avatar 2. Kind of weird

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The more I think about it the more I think "cultural impact" is actually a poisoned chalice. Think about Han Solo, an iconic character, Buzz Lightyear, again an iconic character. Huge cultural impact. 

Yet they've both shown they're box office bombs. They can't move beyond the craters in culture they themselves have created, even when they're beloved. 

I think JC cutting the head off of the hydra and letting everything sleep for a decade has been a master stroke. 

bruh, I know bumping this thread is part of your thing but nobody asked for a Solo movie without Harrison Ford(this was also right after Rogue One and TLJ were boring ass movies) and this cashgrab Lightyear spinoff didn't even have Tim Allen or Woody in it.

24 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

People never even tried to explain the link between cultural impact and box office, even when they use it to detract from Avatar 2. Kind of weird

I'd like to see what it actually means in their minds - if the concept is clear at all. 

18 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

bruh, I know bumping this thread is part of your thing but nobody asked for a Solo movie without Harrison Ford(this was also right after Rogue One and TLJ were boring ass movies) and this cashgrab Lightyear spinoff didn't even have Tim Allen or Woody in it.

So Harrison Ford and Tim Allen are the icons and not the characters? Or they're inherent aspects of what makes them icons? Do you think Indiana Jones 5 will do massive amounts of money given it has such an ostensibly large "cultural impact"? 

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

42 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I'd like to see what it actually means in their minds - if the concept is clear at all. 

So Harrison Ford and Tim Allen are the icons and not the characters? Or they're inherent aspects of what makes them icons? Do you think Indiana Jones 5 will do massive amounts of money given it has such an ostensibly large "cultural impact"? 

Did Avatar remain culturally impactful since it came out.  Aside from a brief period where studios thought everything needed to be 3D, no. 

Does that matter one iota when it comes to the box office prospects of the sequel.  Also no.  

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

I saw someone point out that Tim Allen already didn't do spinoffs because there were different actors for the cartoon series they made and Kingdom Hearts 3, so ehhh. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Does that matter one iota when it comes to the box office prospects of the sequel.  Also no.  

Then why is it consistently brought up when discussing the sequels? And as I said - I actually believe it's potentially inversely proportional to Box Office performance now. 

3 minutes ago, TomCruiseTop said:

Then why is it consistently brought up when discussing the sequels? And as I said - I actually believe it's potentially inversely proportional to Box Office performance now. 

I don't know.  I just know there was an article one time about it (and I don't know if it mentioned anything about a sequels BO prospects because it was so long ago), pointing out that it's weird how the BIGGEST MOVIE EVER left such a little imprint.  So now that's a talking point that people harp on all the time.  I probably said something about it in this very thread because it's so goddamn old lol.  

4 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I don't know.  I just know there was an article one time about it (and I don't know if it mentioned anything about a sequels BO prospects because it was so long ago), pointing out that it's weird how the BIGGEST MOVIE EVER left such a little imprint.  So now that's a talking point that people harp on all the time.  I probably said something about it in this very thread because it's so goddamn old lol.  

I suspect this thread might be older than some of our newest users. :hahaha:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

A comparatively as strong Avatar (2009) performance this December would make over a billion dollars domestic.

This is what people are missing when they say Avatar 2 needs to recreate the original performance in order to outgross Top Gun Maverick domestically; when the reality is even a TFA to TLJ domestic attendance drop might bring it over TGM considering all the inflation that has been happening. Recreate the original magic we'd be talking about 1B+, which is absolutely possible as well.

• Like 2

So I just noticed that YouTube Trailer views for this 4K version uploaded by Trailerspot has now surpassed the official account video in total views. 23.7M vs 22.5M (The official account video). 

I don't know if this has ever happened before? The views are just too fragmented.

But it does show the continuous interest people have for Avatar 2 now that these trailers reuploads are actually showing strong legs. This is more impressive than it's 24 hour view number.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

This is what people are missing when they say Avatar 2 needs to recreate the original performance in order to outgross Top Gun Maverick domestically; when the reality is even a TFA to TLJ domestic attendance drop might bring it over TGM considering all the inflation that has been happening. Recreate the original magic we'd be talking about 1B+, which is absolutely possible as well.

It's interesting because it's been 13 years since the first movie that it could actually capitilise on that nostaglia boost. The first film was really loved by audiences worldwide and people will be so intrigued to see whats going on.

What happens when a film as rewatchable as Avatar has a franchise size opener ($200m+). This is uncharted territory.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

So I just noticed that YouTube Trailer views for this 4K version uploaded by Trailerspot has now surpassed the official account video in total views. 23.7M vs 22.5M (The official account video). 

I don't know if this has ever happened before? The views are just too fragmented.

But it does show the continuous interest people have for Avatar 2 now that these trailers reuploads are actually showing strong legs. This is more impressive than it's 24 hour view number.

I believe @hw64 did some good work and counted up all the fragments, its doing really well overall

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

What happens when a film as rewatchable as Avatar has a franchise size opener ($200m+). This is uncharted territory.

After Top gun Maverick shows us 5X legs off a 100M+ opening, how about seeing 5X legs off a 200M+ opening!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

TGM delivering something we've never before seen and naturally the Avatar stans think it's no big deal and it can do better 🤣

we expect excellence, why wouldn't we?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

we expect excellence, why wouldn't we?

Trust me on this one Jimbo. From what has been shared about DW, the concept of raising the bar is not one which he is, or ever has been familiar with. 

That's why he also underestimates Jim's capacity on this. TGM doing billies is something every single Avatar fan is excited and happy about. It just makes that big billie target even higher. 

It's about time Jim had some competition. 

• Like 1