Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

94% on RT

8.0+ average rating

99% Verified Audience score

A+ Cinemascore

200M+ OW - 1B Domestic final.

890M+ OW - 3,5B World Wide

Happy Avatar week. Wish I was watching on Wed but school and world cup makes it impossible. Thursday it is.

Edited by thajdikt

6 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

94% on RT

8.0+ average rating

99% Verified Audience score

A+ Cinemascore

200M+ OW - 1B Domestic final.

890M+ OW - 3,5B World Wide

Happy Avatar week. Wish I was watching on Wed but school and world cup makes it impossible. Thursday it is.

Those OW’s aren’t happening so we better hope for some good legs to reach those totals. 

• Like 1

Avatar Extended edition which is basically 3h long never feel for me like it's too long, theatrical version has probably little better pacing but not to the point I will choose one version from another. So if somebody say to me Avatar 2 is 30 minutes too long, I'm not buying that. All Cameron movies have good pacing for me, that's my personal tastes.

Edited by adaros
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, adaros said:

@IronJimbo made small comparison for you, official Blu-ray vs leaked DCPrip. It may seem that DCP is too sharp like some artificial sharpening was applied, but after close inspection frame by frame they are no sign of any sharpening artifacts you get on AI upscaled footage, picture is just sharper without any strange shenanigans. Especially look at pic 2&3 on how much details were stripped from official blu-ray.

https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/30226/picture:0

it's wierd the AI version has a little too much noise, and the original now looks blurry as hell thanks to the AI one.

Just now, IronJimbo said:

it's wierd the AI version has a little too much noise, and the original now looks blurry as hell thanks to the AI one.

This one is not AI upscaled one, it's leaked DCP copy they used at cinema projection but this noise like grain texture looks ok in motion, blu-ray also have it but like half of it.

Just now, wildphantom said:

Have had to get my IMAX 3D ticket for next Monday afternoon due to rail strikes and World Cup Final on Sunday. Truly pathetic by my own OD standards for a film of this magnitude. 

@IronJimbo please accept my apologies 

I had the same problem because all good IMAX 3D seats at my cinema were sold out for the weekend in first few hours. they randomly dropped them without any notice online.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Have had to get my IMAX 3D ticket for next Monday afternoon due to rail strikes and World Cup Final on Sunday. Truly pathetic by my own OD standards for a film of this magnitude. 

@IronJimbo please accept my apologies

the rail strikes are so goddamn annoying I swear, no worries here if I wasn't a super fan I would wait til these strikes were over.

Though.. if the opening weekend is under $200m in America it's your fault because you jinxd it

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

the rail strikes are so goddamn annoying I swear, no worries here if I wasn't a super fan I would wait til these strikes were over.

Though.. if the opening weekend is under $200m in America it's your fault because you jinxd it

Good job I’m in the U.K. 😉

I accept full responsibility if our opening weekend is under £10 million though. 

• Thanks 1

Tickets secured! Seeing it in 4DX 3D on the evening of the 16th. It'll be the first time I've been to a 4DX movie.

I want to see in IMAX the most but waiting for that. Probably next week or Boxing Day or something. The only drawback to IMAX is the seating is so tightly congested and crowded. It gets really hot and uncomfortable. So yeah, waiting to see it in IMAX until there's some breathing room. Otherwise it's my favorite format! 

Not to mention I also do really want to see the IMAX exclusive previews for Oppenheimer and Mission Impossible. 

I really want to hear from @charlie Jatinder about the state of admissions in Canada. It feels like theatres are still really struggling here compared to the US. OW for Wakanda Forever did not feel like an $181M opening and the sets at the theatre I'm seeing Avatar at are really underwhelming, as are sales.

maybe it's the same in the US and it really is the inflation that's propping up the numbers. Either way it's been so long since I've been in a truly crowded theatre with that electric buzz.