Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Remember back in the good old days, pre Nov 1/2022 when we were lamenting the so-called lack of marketing for Way of Water?? well the tour wrapped up yesterday to what has to be easily the most $$$ spent on marketing for movie since pre-pandemic times. 

Look who finally showed up yesterday in L.A.

Fj1V4fzVQAEgAQx?format=jpg&name=large

Fj1np7cVQAA__Hz?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Fj0f7NOXgAAejLN?format=jpg&name=large

36 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Without China at full capacity, this likely won't be able to replicate the first film's gargantuan $2.8B gross. Still, No Way Home managed to nearly crack the $2B threshold without them, so this movie should still be able to reach that.

The first film made 200mil in China on its initial release. Some predictions coming out of China have A2 at around 200mil for the OPENING WEEKEND.

Of couse the film can still match and beat the orig film.

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

EXACTLY

Back to your point about the weekends, I'm not sure people dooming about second weekend are correct.

Fri 23rd - normal

Fri 24th - Christmas Eve

Fri 25th - Christmas Day

Christmas Eve get's less, but Christmas Day makes more money. I'm not sure it adds up to anything too different to a regular weekend looking at past December movies such as TFA and NWH

As I've explained before, the problem is that theaters close early on Christmas Eve and every movie just straight up loses X number of shows in the evening.  Monday being a holiday does mean Sunday is boosted more than normal, but you can't make up shows that are just gone.  

Just doing a quick look at a couple of the big theaters here, one goes from 21 shows Friday, with a last show at 11:25 to 17 shows with the last one being 8:30.  Another one only dips from 19 to 17, but it's going to be like this across the board.  

Now maybe, there will be so much demand on Sunday to add more shows, but with the length it's not going to be as easy to steal from other shows lol.  It's 3:10, but when programming, you have to account for trailers and cleaning time, which means it's at least a 4 hour block.  So it's not stealing one showtime, it's stealing two.  That will be fine on opening weekend, but not Christmas Day.  

Edited by Deep Wang
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

As I've explained before, the problem is that theaters close yearly on Christmas Eve and every movie just straight up loses X number of shows in the evening.  Monday being a holiday does mean Sunday is boosted more than normal, but you can't make up shows that are just gone.  

Just doing a quick look at a couple of the big theaters here, one goes from 21 shows Friday, with a last show at 11:25 to 17 shows with the last one being 8:30.  Another one only dips from 19 to 17, but it's going to be like this across the board.  

Now maybe, there will be so much demand on Sunday to add more shows, but with the length it's not going to be as easy to steal from other shows lol.  It's 3:10, but when programming, you have to account for trailers and cleaning time, which means it's at least a 4 hour block.  So it's not stealing one showtime, it's stealing two.  That will be fine on opening weekend, but not Christmas Day.  

Just to be clear I think the 2nd weekend is definitely hurting, we can just call it a 4 day weekend with boxing day that will be cool

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

I'm also nervous also, quite a lot actually. Critics can be extremely disconnected from the audiences, just look at another film with Jim Cam DNA in it.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/alita_battle_angel

61% cirtic : 92% audience

We know that most critics are considering Avatar 2 to be better than Avatar, but strangely that is no guarantuee that Avatar 2 will get more than the 82% RT score the first got. They're hard to understand honestly.

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm also nervous also, quite a lot actually. Critics can be extremely disconnected from the audiences, just look at another film with Jim Cam DNA in it.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/alita_battle_angel

61% cirtic : 92% audience

We know that most critics are considering Avatar 2 to be better than Avatar, but strangely that is no guarantuee that Avatar 2 will get more than the 82% RT score the first got. They're hard to understand honestly.

Keep in mind that

1. It's not necessarily the same people reviewing (some of the people who liked A2 better than A1 might not even have given a passing grade to A1 at the time)

2. Liking a film "better" doesn't necessarily change anything on RT. If you give a film a 6 and another one an 8 both reviews are still fresh at the end of the day.

So even if the consensus is that one is better than the other, that doesn't necessarily mean the % will tick higher.

• Thanks 1

Just now, JustLurking said:

Keep in mind that

1. It's not necessarily the same people reviewing (some of the people who liked A2 better than A1 might not even have given a passing grade to A1 at the time)

2. Liking a film "better" doesn't necessarily change anything on RT. If you give a film a 6 and another one an 8 both reviews are still fresh at the end of the day.

So even if the consensus is that one is better than the other, that doesn't necessarily mean the % will tick higher.

I also think that they could just dislike Avatar more right now than they did in 2009

I wouldnt worry too much about the reviews. We have had quite a few positive reviews from critics who said they didnt like the first film. And a huge chunk of critics said its better than the first film, even in some of the more negative reviews.

I'll be surprised if this doesnt get higher than the 82 RT the first film got.

• Like 1