Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I finally saw the movie. I enjoyed it. It more or less delivers what I would expect from an Avatar sequel. I can safely say that I am interested to see more of this story, although I don’t know if we need three more sequels. I like what Jon Landau said about the direction they plan to take the fifth film, but couldn’t they do that in movie four? 

4 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

theres specfic percentages in the comment section

I dont really care about Cameron making money or not, but I hope we dont find ourselves in a situation where we'd need him to waive some of it in order to get 5 made

The king of the world made sure he got set up with a cash cow better than Lucas and Speilberg.

Hah hah well done. So he'll end up with 2-3 billion or more if  all avatar sequels  gets made. Wow

Watched the film last Thursday but never posted my thoughts, so here they are. Thanks for reminding me @interiorgatordecorator

The good:

• The visuals. The landscapes, water, and the creatures looked amazing. But what stood out to me the most was the CGI characters. The facial capture, the skin, and hair. A big step up from the first movie. 
  • The performances. I was concerned about the kid actors going in but I think they gave good performances only exception being Champion a.k.a spider (performance was inconsistent).  Lang, and Saldana were my standout adult performances.

The bad:

• The plot. Multiple times during the movie I thought "huh?" or "what?". The script was messy, kinda dumb, too many plot conveniences and logic issues. ATWOW is James Cameron's worst script which is shocking considering he had a writers room and 3 years! 
  • The characters. There are way too many characters in the movie and most of them are not developed well enough. Certain characters just disappear from the movie. I understand the characters probably have a role to play in A3 but their inclusion hurt ATWOW.
  • The dialogue. The dialogue in this movie is terrible, so terrible that I found myself enjoying it. "Get up buttercup!" "I am not your buttercup you perv!". Blue aliens said those lines.

I was expecting a sequel on the level of Aliens and T2. Instead I got what I think is James Cameron's worst movie. I have always thought of Cameron as a better version of George Lucas. Like Lucas, Cameron is a tech geek, but his stories have well developed characters, are coherent, well structured and paced. In ATWOW I think he went off the rails. I rate the movie 6/10.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, tenken said:

Watched the film last Thursday but never posted my thoughts, so here they are. Thanks for reminding me @interiorgatordecorator

The good:

• The visuals. The landscapes, water, and the creatures looked amazing. But what stood out to me the most was the CGI characters. The facial capture, the skin, and hair. A big step up from the first movie. 
  • The performances. I was concerned about the kid actors going in but I think they gave good performances only exception being Champion a.k.a spider (performance was inconsistent).  Lang, and Saldana were my standout adult performances.

The bad:

• The plot. Multiple times during the movie I thought "huh?" or "what?". The script was messy, kinda dumb, too many plot conveniences and logic issues. ATWOW is James Cameron's worst script which is shocking considering he had a writers room and 3 years! 
  • The characters. There are way too many characters in the movie and most of them are not developed well enough. Certain characters just disappear from the movie. I understand the characters probably have a role to play in A3 but their inclusion hurt ATWOW.
  • The dialogue. The dialogue in this movie is terrible, so terrible that I found myself enjoying it. "Get up buttercup!" "I am not your buttercup you perv!". Blue aliens said those lines.

I was expecting a sequel on the level of Aliens and T2. Instead I got what I think is James Cameron's worst movie. I have always thought of Cameron as a better version of George Lucas. Like Lucas, Cameron is a tech geek, but his stories have well developed characters, are coherent, well structured and paced. In ATWOW I think he went off the rails. I rate the movie 6/10.

I loved the story.. Ranked it up there with the great sequels like TDK and SM2.. Totally worked for me and remember this story is met to be a two parter.  The movies you mention didnt have cool suprises like a certain someone from the sea being the hero, great dynamics of the kids(They actually stole the show for a bit, my audience loved it)  I didnt like certain things, like my wife on what happened to the sully family.. But Im excited for part 3 bigtime. .

4.8/5. I hope  you will enjoy the second part better brother.  To me its in camerons top 5 films easily.

My Top 5 Cameron Films:

1. Titanic

2. Avatar

3. Terminator 2, 

4. Avatar 2,

5. Aliens

Honourable Mentions: Abyss Directors Cut Version is my favorite

(FIRST USE OF CGI Character as well) and Terminator 1

KALS Top Sequels of All Time in no Particular Order:

LOTR2 and LOTR3

T2, Aliens, Avatar 2, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Empire Strikes Back

SM2 2004, TDK, Superman 2, Captain America Winter Soldier, 

EndGame, Infinity War,  Return of the Jedi, Indiana Jones and Temple of Doom

Godzilla King of All Monsters 2016, Godzilla Vs Kong 

HP3, HP5, HP7 P1 and P2.. Twilight 3

WE'LL SEND THE NAYSAYERS THE MESSAGE!!

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, tenken said:

The good:

The bad:

we go again as the british say

I will be in the theatre for A3, I just hope the film is better. I recall Cameron saying he and his writers overwrote the script for A2, so it was split into two movies (ATWOW and A3). That worries me. Perhaps it would have been better to trim the script down for a single movie instead?

1 hour ago, tenken said:

I will be in the theatre for A3, I just hope the film is better. I recall Cameron saying he and his writers overwrote the script for A2, so it was split into two movies (ATWOW and A3). That worries me. Perhaps it would have been better to trim the script down for a single movie instead?

Sorry you were so disappointed, hope you have a better experience if you rewatch. Cameron really tried to cut it down to 3 sequels but that just didn't work. If he was playing it safe he would've forced it and never let Avatar 2 be nearly this long, but personally I'm glad he stuck to his vision.

• Like 1

(skip to 1:45:23 if timestamp doesn't work)
John Campea only liked Avatar, didn't love it, and he's been very critical of Cameron's comments about Marvel, but seeing Avatar 2 he says:

"I felt like little Steven Spielberg watching the screen for the first time. My imagination exploded. It's a phenomenal, remarkable moviegoing experience. It's the magic of the movies. This Avatar film is the magic of the movies." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, danziger said:

Sorry you were so disappointed, hope you have a better experience if you rewatch. Cameron really tried to cut it down to 3 sequels but that just didn't work. If he was playing it safe he would've forced it and never let Avatar 2 be nearly this long, but personally I'm glad he stuck to his vision.

Agreed. It would have seemed rush and I think hurt Avatar 2s Narrative.  Right on Brother Danziger..  Sometimes its a good thing when a director has full creative control.. Avatar 2 left me and folks at our viewing definitely  wishing Part 3 was next year instead of 2024 or so,, So that to me means Camerons writing team did well. :). Not to mention had it not been late I would have tried to drag my wife to watch it one more time LOL(But we would have got out of theater 3-5am in the morning lol)

Hah hah 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, danziger said:

(skip to 1:45:23 if timestamp doesn't work)
John Campea only liked Avatar, didn't love it, and he's been very critical of Cameron's comments about Marvel, but seeing Avatar 2 he says:

"I felt like little Steven Spielberg watching the screen for the first time. My imagination exploded. It's a phenomenal, remarkable moviegoing experience. It's the magic of the movies. This Avatar film is the magic of the movies." 

Nice Avatar 2 Made Campea become a true fan of Pandora!! :)

• Like 1

Any estimates for Tuesday yet  anyone?

:)

Avatar 2- The Way of Water Increasing Milestones!:

Best TGM's  OW of 126M with 135MOW (With likely much Better legs- 5.8-6X Mulitplier?)

Best Black Adam Total WW in 48HRs(Lol)

Almost Doubles Avatar 1 OW after delay of 13 years!

Passes 500M WW in 4 Days!

Surpasses DS2  and BP 2 WW  in under 2 Weeks 

On its way to Surpass Black Panther 1 and 2 Domestic and  WW shortly. 

I wonder how soon to pass the 1.4B of Maverick and the 1.9B WW  of NWH?

Stay Tuned

Lots more of milestones to be added Pandorians!!

Best Picture and  Best Director and Best SFX Golden Globe And Oscars Nods and 50+ Film and Critic Awards Next.. 

---" LETS GET IT DONE!" 

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Editing post

My three biggest issues with this film are:

1. Jake Sully is a wholly unlikeable character - I find his relationship with his children too frustrating and annoying, the character lacks charisma especially when he's alongside Neytiri and other characters. Just utterly bland and I for one can't wait for him to leave the family. Neytiri and Lo'ak should lead the family. 

2. The editing is a little bit haphazard, particularly in the first hour. Things simultaneously felt like they both moved too fast and too slow during that stretch of the film.

3. The dialogue...holy balls, I know Cameron has his charms, but this was way too much here. Just..no.

Otherwise, I loved the film especially in the last hour and a half. The highs are higher than Avatar 1, but the lows are definitely lower. 

I think if it weren't for the first hour, I'd say this slightly surpasses the first. But every single person I know who has watched this has loved the film. 

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

My three biggest issues with this film are:

1. Jake Sully is a wholly unlikeable character - I find his relationship with his children too frustrating and annoying, the character lacks charisma especially when he's alongside Neytiri and other characters. Just utterly bland and I for one can't wait for him to leave the family. Neytiri and Lo'ak should lead the family. 

2. The editing is a little bit haphazard, particularly in the first hour. Things simultaneously felt like they both moved too fast and too slow during that stretch of the film.

3. The dialogue...holy balls, I know Cameron has his charms, but this was way too much here. Just..no.

Otherwise, I loved the film especially in the last hour and a half. The highs are higher than Avatar 1, but the lows are definitely lower. 

I think if it weren't for the first hour, I'd say this slightly surpasses the first. But every single person I know who has watched this has loved the film. 

I agree with number 2 on my first watch then disagreed on the second watch. I think it's the 2nd act which is missing scenes

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I agree with number 2 on my first watch then disagreed on the second watch. I think it's the 2nd act which is missing scenes

I'm mostly interested in Neytiri, Lo'ak, Kiri, and Tsireya in the future films. Although I wasn't particularly a fan of Quartich/Spider, their dynamic will prove interesting in the sequel. 

Jake and the youngest daughter need to be beaten and eaten by the whales. 

I do think the sequel will have a significantly more condensed and straightforward story. Avatar 2 was laying a lot of the groundwork for future sequels. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Sheldon Cr said:

I loved the story.. Ranked it up there with the great sequels like TDK and SM2.. Totally worked for me and remember this story is met to be a two parter.  The movies you mention didnt have cool suprises like a certain someone from the sea being the hero, great dynamics of the kids(They actually stole the show for a bit, my audience loved it)  I didnt like certain things, like my wife on what happened to the sully family.. But Im excited for part 3 bigtime. .

4.8/5. I hope  you will enjoy the second part better brother.  To me its in camerons top 5 films easily.

My Top 5 Cameron Films:

1. Titanic

2. Avatar

3. Terminator 2, 

4. Avatar 2,

5. Aliens ???

Honourable Mentions: Abyss Directors Cut Version is my favorite

(FIRST USE OF CGI Character as well) and Terminator 1

KALS Top Sequels of All Time in no Particular Order:

LOTR2 and LOTR3

T2, Aliens, Avatar 2, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Empire Strikes Back

SM2 2004, TDK, Superman 2, Captain America Winter Soldier, 

EndGame, Infinity War,  Return of the Jedi, Indiana Jones and Temple of Doom

Godzilla King of All Monsters 2016, Godzilla Vs Kong 

HP3, HP5, HP7 P1 and P2.. Twilight 3

WE'LL SEND THE NAYSAYERS THE MESSAGE!!

How can Aliens be at 5?? Honestly.. Its top 2 with T-1. its one of the best films ever made..

Edited by Halba

6 minutes ago, Halba said:

How can Aliens be at 5?? Honestly.. Its top 2 with T-1.

I give avatar 2 a slight edge because it's just a far bigger vision and story telling, bigger sci fi elements etc and as good as aliens wasn it didn't quite blow my mind like Avatar 2 has my brother. So I had to give the spot to Avatars sequel. Terminator is excellent, but it's no where close to Jim at his best. It's definitely in his top 6 though. Too many sci fis leave Terminator in the dust including his own aliens.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Noctis must be one of the few out there that finds Jake Sully unlikable. Seems everyone roots for him to win out. I hope Jake is alive at the end and Netyri  as well. Love their story and the kids that have become part of this saga. Also the mysterious connection of you know who to Eewah and what this  character will evolve to. ( I'm feeling there's a power brewing that can best the Corp army all by itself in that one)😉👍

• Like 1