Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

yeah, minority or no, I'll take "You're terminated, fucker" over John Conner's incessant squawking and balling.

Well as I said glad everyone else knows what a superior blockbuster is, from quality, to technology to story to visuals...Terminator 2 owns terminator and arguably every other film until Avatar's mindblowing technology was formed.

I've seen you argue attendance > money a lot.  So please, stop breaking my irony meter. :lol:

It doesn't change the fact that Avatar won't drop attendance thanks to expanded markets, no matter "adjusted" bullcrap meter of yours. People like you are really so clueless about Avatar's success, it's hilarious.

Edited by dashrendar44

Avatar 2 is doomed.It will loose money.Moist people went to see Avatar for the 3d and the shiny colors. THe movie had no other qualities whatsoever.150m dom450m wwDOA

I was pretty moist when I saw Avatar for the first time so you're right about that.And at least BKB (by avoiding ww everytime he posts) understands AV2 will stomp TA2 WW, it's only the domestic battle that's fun to debate and talk about. And dom I'd say it's pretty much an even battle at this point which does better. Year and a half of inflation and more 3D theaters, etc. prob gives AV2 a slight advantage.But I will say that TA2 is more of a sure thing dom (with its already locked $200m+ow and high 2s multi to hit $600m again) than AV2 is though.

I don't think Avatar 2 will make 75M OW unless snow storms are paralysing the east coast all over again...

Uh, yeah of course its ow will be much bigger, perhaps double av1, but it's still more of a wild card domestically.

3 years instead of 6, plus did Lucas bring anything new discernible to audiences? Empire yes, but look at Cameron's sequel track record: T2 and Aliens.

T2 had room to expand because T1 -- while a hit -- wasn't a giant blockbuster. ALIENS didn't substantially outperform ALIEN.

Yes, we'll see new sights and cool action in the sequels, but again, EMPIRE had a ton of that too. We got Hoth, asteroids, Yoda, Dagobah, Cloud City, Lando, the Emperor, a badder-ass Vader, a huge mind-blowing revelation, a great lightsabre duel between Vader and Luke.... and it still slumped. Sometimes an original film is an amazing pinnacle and the sequels aren't able to reach the same mark. It's not a question of quality of all, it's just an indicator of how huge the first film was.

• Like 2

Both arguments for increase/decrease in DOM are valid I think, however, if you are STILL arguing that Avatar made its money due to 3D novelty then I'm just gonna faceplam and walk away.

People don't go see it multiple times just for the technology. It's the whole experience, and the story plays the most important role.

IMO, the story was one of the most accessible and followed the hero cycle perfectly like SW.

• Like 3

Both arguments for increase/decrease in DOM are valid I think, however, if you are STILL arguing that Avatar made its money due to 3D novelty then I'm just gonna faceplam and walk away.

People don't go see it multiple times just for the technology. It's the whole experience, and the story plays the most important role.

IMO, the story was one of the most accessible and followed the hero cycle perfectly like SW.

Posted Image

• Like 3

Well I only saw it multiple times due to the 3D, not because I loved the 3D, but because I wasn't that impressed by it even though people around me were raving about it.  So I ended up seeing it in Imax 3D and Real3D to try to see what the big deal was and came to the conclusion that I must not see 3D that well.

It doesn't change the fact that Avatar won't drop attendance thanks to expanded markets, no matter "adjusted" bullcrap meter of yours. People like you are really so clueless about Avatar's success, it's hilarious.

So now we're talking about OS grosses and expanding markets, ok, I wonder what irrelevant thing we'll be talking about next. :D

Edited by Shpongle

So now we're talking about OS grosses and expanding markets, ok, I wonder what irrelevant thing we'll be talking about next. :D

There's no Avatar 2 International BO thread yet so yeah OS grosses and expanding markets are more likely to put Avatar 2 as the highest grosser WW adjusted, more relevant than any of your opinions.

Edited by dashrendar44

Only me thinking that Avatar 2 won't gross as much as the first? I mean the first one was very hyped because of being the first 3D movie

It was not the first 3D movie and no, you definitely are not the only one thinking A2 won't gross as much as A1. Actually, i'd say the majority thinks that.

There's no Avatar 2 International BO thread yet so yeah OS grosses and expanding markets are more likely to put Avatar 2 as the highest grosser WW adjusted, more relevant than any of your opinions.

If you wanna ramble on about OS grosses/expanding markets because "there isn't an international thread" go ahead, I don't care because it had nothing to do about what was being discussed earlier about the Terminator 2/Avatar 2 comparisons or attendance of Aliens to Alien.

T2 had room to expand because T1 -- while a hit -- wasn't a giant blockbuster. ALIENS didn't substantially outperform ALIEN.

Yes, we'll see new sights and cool action in the sequels, but again, EMPIRE had a ton of that too. We got Hoth, asteroids, Yoda, Dagobah, Cloud City, Lando, the Emperor, a badder-ass Vader, a huge mind-blowing revelation, a great lightsabre duel between Vader and Luke.... and it still slumped. Sometimes an original film is an amazing pinnacle and the sequels aren't able to reach the same mark. It's not a question of quality of all, it's just an indicator of how huge the first film was.

Still increased 400%+ for T2, being a hit or blockbuster that boggles the mind. If you say Avatar made so much because of 3D you can be for sure Cameron will bring in a new innovative movie experience for Avatar 2.

• Like 2