Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

32 minutes ago, Lothar said:

anyway. Where's my trailer.

I don't like leaked things because they s()cks. 

Two options for the teaser 

1- Go see Doctor Strange 2 this weekend if you want 3D or 2D

2- Wait t'il late next week for wide release - 2D only 

and yes the leaked versions "sucks" in terms of picture quality

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Yeah, I'm actually really damn suprised at how much Spiderman made. I thought Cinema was kinda doomed after Covid so it's good to see a non Epic blockbuster can do so well.

I'm actually feeling 1 billie dom more than ever

Once that trailer hits the GA I think we're going to see people start to really get excited. People love escapism, they need it now more than ever, and Jim always delivers.

9 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Hope 2 doesn't have a ridiculously big opening

Avatar 2 is a 3d movie, everyone who sees it in 2d will have an inferior experience, and im convinced that you can't go much higher than the mid 100's without forcing some people who were interested in watching it in 3d to watch it in 2d

Sure there might theoretically be enough 3d screens for a 200+ ow, but some theaters will sell out and some silly people (my term for people who care about spoilers) will feel pressured into watching it in 2d just to not be spoiled

This line of thinking perplexes me.  You should want the biggest opening imaginable.  The more people that see it, the better.

Part of the reason Avatar had such great legs was people that saw it in 2D first wanted to go back and see it a second time in 3D.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

This line of thinking perplexes me.  You should want the biggest opening imaginable.  The more people that see it, the better.

Part of the reason Avatar had such great legs was people that saw it in 2D first wanted to go back and see it a second time in 3D.

Yup, you need people to see it to tell their friends and family that it blew their damn mind.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

WC final that weekend. Dom not that big a deal, WW could be a factor. 

Well let's cross our fingers the US get's bodied in the group stage so they got no reason not to come.

I think football (the biggest sport of all time guys, not american one) crazy nations should be getting a BIG HIT on the worldcup finals day.  Litrally 50-80% less tickets sold, people watch it then get drunk as hell.

Edited by IronJimbo

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Well let's cross our fingers the US get's bodied in the group stage so they got no reason not to come.

I think football (the biggest sport of all time guys, not american one) crazy nations should be getting a BIG HIT on the worldcup day.  Litrally 50-80% less tickets sold, people watch it then get drunk as hell.

China didn't qualify either so could also be okay there. 

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

China didn't qualify either so could also be okay there. 

China usually releases december openings in early Jan so not to worry.

I'm more worried about it their gov will even allow it to play

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm more worried about it their gov will even allow it to play

I've said it before a thousand times. China values family. Jim has met with Xi in person. China understands the threat that climate change poses. I think there is a very high chance we see A2 release there without problem. 

• Like 1

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

I've said it before a thousand times. China values family. Jim has met with Xi in person. China understands the threat that climate change poses. I think there is a very high chance we see A2 release there without problem. 

i hope so

the idea that jim changes his perfect vision to appease china hurts my to think of, hope he hasnt

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

the idea that jim changes his perfect vision to appease china hurts my to think of, hope he hasnt

The beauty of truly universal themes are that he doesn't have to change anything. Jim won't pander to anyone, unless he has had some major personality change in the last decade at least. I think it's also made easier by both the racial and political ambiguity of having such an alien world, parallels are harder to see. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The beauty of truly universal themes are that he doesn't have to change anything. Jim won't pander to anyone, unless he has had some major personality change in the last decade at least. I think it's also made easier by both the racial and political ambiguity of having such an alien world, parallels are harder to see. 

This. Universal themes are the reason his movies resonate with so many people and are popular. I don't see him deviating from this approach.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tenken said:

This. Universal themes are the reason his movies resonate with so many people and are popular. I don't see him deviating from this approach.

To our merit (I hope). I know he likes to mix things up with his sequels, but as Landau said - it's the big heart that I think keeps us all coming back again and again for Jim's movies. 

4 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

To our merit (I hope). I know he likes to mix things up with his sequels, but as Landau said - it's the big heart that I think keeps us all coming back again and again for Jim's movies. 

He will definitely try some new things. Here is a quote of him talking about avatar 2 and sequels in general.

"I think you have to create this dynamic equipoise between the audiences expectations and the element of surprise. How do you give them what they want, but still take them somewhere they didn’t expect. It’s a tricky piece of business. I’m doing it again now with Avatar 2. I think I’ve found that balance. I may lose some people in the curves, [but] I may gain others. We’ll have to see."

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-features/james-cameron-interview-tech-noir-avatar-movies-1261926/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MultiverseXXR said:

If this movie doesn't hit $1 Billion DOM, $1 Billion in China and $4 Billion Worldwide I will personally make sure this thread is deleted and half of y'all are banned. 

Schitts Creek Smh GIF by CBC

$1 Billion Domestic? Does anyone really believe that's possible?

18 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

$1 Billion Domestic? Does anyone really believe that's possible?

Not necessarily saying Avatar 2 will do it, but $1 Billion at today's ticket price really isn't that uncrossable barrier anymore, it would certainly be easier than say... $600 Million back in 1997. Pretty sure TFA adjust to over $1B using 2020 ticket prices already, probably quite a bit over 1B using 2022 average prices.

Plus if there is a large proportion of tickets sold in 3D and other premium formats, which will be the case for A2, then it would further inflate box office. 

• Like 1

OS-C Total likely to be affected because of Europe. It will roughly match Avatar's performance in some regions like France, Germany, Spain &The Nordics. Though, I expect UK to be close by. Other region like South America, Middle East, Asia will see a good increase from former

So, I think __ are possible

$1000M DOM

$1000M CHN

$2000M OS-C

Edited by Issac Newton