Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Okay, let's also not act as if there isn't positive buzz coming out of this:

One, ***ONE*** article does not a "seems to have the same public skepticism" make.

====

I do think HFR is a potential concern, and I said as much in the D23 thread a while ago, but let's not over react in the other direction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The More Fun XXR said:

No.

this article claims otherwise (4 months ago)

Will Avatar 2 be in 3D? The Way of the Water’s technology explored (hitc.com)

Cameron’s production company, Lightstorm Entertainment in partnership with Christie Digital, has been working on new 3D technology that will remove the need for wearing glasses to see the effects.

Reported by Inside the Magic (via WeChoiceBlogger), Christie Digital has been implementing a new RGB laser projection system into the production of all four Avatar sequels.

Referred to as “pure laser”, the system uses 60,000 lumens to project bright images with high frame rates resulting in sharper visuals.

This would mean that theaters would have to swap their projectors for the new system, which may result in only select screenings using the tech.

So I don't know, won't be everywhere but it looks like it might be happening

2 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

If even 5 screens in the country have this tech, I would be surprised.

22 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

This is an incredibly stupid move. Once again Chapek steps on a rake

I have the tiniest, smallest, teeniest shred of sympathy for Disney here.  Incredibly tiny, mind, but there.

Disney has to market and hype up a ton of projects right now, juggling/balancing generating buzz for near, medium, and long term projects.

Gonna quote part of a convo I'm having with Cap off-thread over this:

Ultimately I think part of this is studio concentration, and streaming isn't helping one jot.  Disney has a lot of its attention divided between theatrical and streaming, before we even get to the self-evident point that Marvel is the 800 pound gorilla right now.

(Hell, I'm actually a little surprised SW got as much attention as it did get today!)

So with Disney's focus already divided between WDAS/Pixar, Marvel/SW, and then D+, I can't say I'm entirely surprised that Avatar 2 isn't yet getting a balls-to-the-walls hype machine going.   Having the MCU film of the year in Nov is absolutely not helping matters here.

I mean, it's just a True Point.  Disney has to market Marvel a lot.  It wants to promote D+ a lot.  Even if films are stuck in pre-productions, SW is still one of the crown jewels, and is a big driver of attention over on D+.  Then there are all of the other projects on D+, never mind upcoming animation projects.

Disney has its fingers in a lot of pies. 

This isn't to excuse it.  They should have gone nuts at Comic Con.  They should have followed it up with more than they did at D23. Hell, go with an Avatar Day again. But it is me saying, "Yeah, I can see why this is happening."

It's not a "civil war" inside Disney, IMO.  One doesn't commit to films through 2028 (and sink about a billion dollars in the process) and announce filming of the third of four sequels today if one wasn't fully committed.

I... I just think perhaps there's only so much attention/focus Disney can put out at any one time, and having so much to promote means some things aren't getting what they should.

I don't know if this is an unavoidable side effect of having Disney controlling so much IP, as opposed to rival studios.  But I do think that if Fox was either still around or bought out by a company without quite as much IP in-house (say, Comcast/NBC), then the promotion of A2 would probably have been more.. robust.

Probably.  After all, we also have no idea just how much James Cameron wants things promoted this time around. Or had stuff ready by, say, Comic Con.  It could just be a case of Cameron thinking, "Well, the remaster is right around the corner, I'll save the really good stuff for my fans then."  Or not. Who the hell knows?  Not me, that's for sure.

Edited by Porthos

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Okay, let's also not act as if there isn't positive buzz coming out of this:

One, ***ONE*** article does not a "seems to have the same public skepticism" make.

====

I do think HFR is a potential concern, and I said as much in the D23 thread a while ago, but let's not over react in the other direction.

Just for the record, I’m by no means taking that article as an indication that this movie was in trouble. Just that it seems to be getting the same kinds of “I don’t know about this one, guys” takes from journalists and random people on the Internet that the first movie had. 

3 minutes ago, The More Fun XXR said:

HFR could cost A2 upwards of ONE BILLION DOLLARS!!

Hide contents

Which means it will only make $$FOUR BILLION$$ :sparta:

Hello, mods?  I'd like to report that XXR got his account hijacked again! :sarah:

• Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

100% absolutely not happening. The whole 'glasses-free 3D' thing came from an off-the-cuff remark from Cameron many years ago (in 2016/17). There's been absolutely no movement on the issue — or even mention of it — since then, and cinemas aren't even remotely equipped to handle any sort of glasses-free 3D technology, nor is the technology even there in the first place.

The source you've cited is a poor-quality source which is taking information from another poor-quality source which is engaging in pure speculation based off of Cameron's 2016 comments.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

This is an incredibly stupid move. Once again Chapek steps on a rake

*Avatar 2 trailer is exclusive to Doctor Strange*

"wow this is so cool. it's nice to see it on the big screen before everybody else does"

*Avatar 2 trailer is exclusive to Avatar re-release*

"OMG DISNEY ARE ALL MORONS. THEY WANT THIS MOVIE TO DIE. CAMERON HAS TO LEAVE RIGHT AWAY FOREVER D:"

I swear some of you weirdos want to be annoying about this movie, jeez louise.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, hw64 said:

100% absolutely not happening. The whole 'glasses-free 3D' thing came from an off-the-cuff remark from Cameron many years ago (in 2016/17). There's been absolutely no movement on the issue — or even mention of it — since then, and cinemas aren't even remotely equipped to handle any sort of glasses-free 3D technology, nor is the technology even there in the first place.

The source you've cited is a poor-quality source which is taking information from another poor-quality source which is engaging in pure speculation based off of Cameron's 2016 comments.

Fair enough, I haven't researched the topic more than that. My "source" was the same as the one cited by the New York Times, you should tell them that also

Will the sequel be shown in 3-D?

Yes, but good news for glasses-wearers: You won’t need two sets to take in the film; a newer laser system eliminates the need for special glasses. (Though many theaters, as was the case the first time around, do not yet have the necessary equipment.)

‘Avatar: The Way of Water’: What to Know Before Watching - The New York Times (nytimes.com) (September 9)

9 minutes ago, Eric-occhio said:

"wow this is so cool. it's nice to see it on the big screen before everybody else does"

"OMG DISNEY ARE ALL MORONS. THEY WANT THIS MOVIE TO DIE. CAMERON HAS TO LEAVE RIGHT AWAY FOREVER D:"

I agree, d23 isn't relevant for the GA, I don't see this as a big deal. I really hope they have something from A2 tied to the re-release of the original though (either scenes or a new trailer), I think it would be a waste not to.

my country isnt even that poor and it has exactly 1 imax screen, no reason to go all in on a tech (glasses-free-3d) very very few people will be able to experience, 

25 minutes ago, Eric-occhio said:

It's not like Cameron can take Avatar if he leaves since Disney owns the IP, so what would he do if he leaves? 

• Knock It Off 1

54 minutes ago, Eric-occhio said:

The difference here is simple: Dr strange 2 was a much hyped-up summer blockbuster that made insane amounts of money ( even Though I contest they should have had a teaser with no way home.). THIS on the other hand is a re-release of a film they took off their streaming service in order to pull this off. (soon after David Zaslav went scorched earth on projects as well is not a good look imo).

• Like 1