Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I am honestly always puzzled by all the people calling out Avatar for the story but then going on to praise Maverick, a film which mind you I quite liked, as if its story was brilliant. If anything Maverick is a similar case as A1 and proof that spectacle and great action are still a huge draw to theaters in 2022. The plot works, but ultimately the draw is quite obviously the aerial combat scenes, which are fantastic.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, adaros said:

Titanic & Avatar were called as potential biggest flops in history before their release, so who cares what some critics say. Not everybody will like movie and that's ok.

People who mention the runtime of a2 and think it will hurt its BO run seems to forget that EG had also a runtime of over 3h.and it didnt stop it from becoming one of the biggest BO movies.

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I am honestly always puzzled by all the people calling out Avatar for the story but then going on to praise Maverick, a film which mind you I quite liked, as if its story was brilliant. If anything Maverick is a similar case as A1 and proof that spectacle and great action are still a huge draw to theaters in 2022. The plot works, but ultimately the draw is quite obviously the aerial combat scenes, which are fantastic.

I mean Mavericks story is as simple as they come, and is almost a remake of the first film.

Same with Marvel, yes loads of people love Marvel films but they are hardly Shakepear are they lol.

Avatar has the well used 'man infiltrates enemy, falls in love, and swaps sides' plot that a lot of films have used, but a lot of films have used that plot for a reason.

• Like 1

Runtime is Never a problem, Titanic was longer, LOTR Return Of The King was longer, Gone with the wind. People Bingwatch TV Series today like is nothing. Is how people feel the pacing something that can be influenced by external factors. 

Edited by StreamBO

Just now, StreamBO said:

Runtime is Never a problem, Titanic was longer, LOTR Return Of The King was longer, Gomne with the wind. People Bingwatch TV Series today like is nothing. Is how people feel the pacing something that can be influenced by external factors. 

Pacing definitely matters more than runtime. Lots of short films feel long because of poor pacing and vice versa

12 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Well thats where the 5x legs come into play. A higher opening weekend will mean the legs will be shorter, but shorter coming off 10x legs. I honestly cant see it dropping much under 5x legs, regardless of how big it opens.

It doesn't really work like that though lol.  

12 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Honestly regardless of how you feel about the film or Cameron etc, just do the math, check the weekends and Christmas weekdays, and do the math.

Okay, but do the math according to what number?  That's the problem!  I don't see it hitting $180m(yet), so my math is going to be different than yours.  

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

I mean Mavericks story is as simple as they come, and is almost a remake of the first film.

Same with Marvel, yes loads of people love Marvel films but they are hardly Shakepear are they lol.

Avatar has the well used 'man infiltrates enemy, falls in love, and swaps sides' plot that a lot of films have used, but a lot of films have used that plot for a reason.

The people that talk and complain about plot holes, Story plot about a lot of Movies are Ignorant AF.

If it was that The Star Wars Original Trilogy Specially Empire Strike Back with that "im your father" is total trash. But they won't apply the same logic to films they like for whatever external reason outside the movie and nostalgia. 

3 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

That's my point though, simple plot with tight execution, visual marvel kind of films - in many ways A1 and Maverick aren't so different.

3 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

It doesn't really work like that though lol.  

Okay, but do the math according to what number?  That's the problem!  I don't see it hitting $180m(yet), so my math is going to be different than yours.  

Well do your own math i mean. Pick your OW number, include 8 weekdays, with 4 of them being inflated holidy weekdays, and add in 2nd and 3rd weekend numbers.

You may be surprised by the total you get.

Im not going to Predict Anything and that is the best Prediction because James Freaking Cameron could pull out a 5 Billion Box Office, If you go by his insane directorial track. There was that critic pacing issues, but James is James. And he is going 48 FPS too. Something Dennis and Gore V. have not being into. 

23 minutes ago, Elessar said:

:ohmyzod:

Yeah No Regrets, Avatar felt better on it than the ~80 foot wide IMAX i went to back in ~2009. Of course IMAX is IMAX but somehow liked the movie better on this phone rewatch. That's why a lot of times if the movie is good is good no matter how you watch it. 

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Was just having a look at the bigger cinemas around me, outside of premium screens where you're pretty much forced to watch in 3D, there's definitely an audience preference so far for basic 2D screens rather than Real D 3D. Backs up my claim that I think 3D won't be as big a factor as expected, the public don't want the overly dark normal 3D screens, but they'll watch it happily in better premium auditoriums. 

This. 

Multiplexes ruined the opportunity they had to make it some kind of normal. Actually diminishing the experience with poor quality bulb presentation, and audience quickly lost trust. Let alone studios and their god awful ‘conversions’ which destroyed what true 3D really is/was. 

Way of Water will have a bigger uptake of 3D due to memories of the quality in 2009, especially in PLF - they’ll do gangbusters. But you can bet your average Joe who isn’t going PLF is happy with regular 2D, and thus he’s not spending what he would have in 2009 on a ticket. 

I was watching Avatar for the first time last night and it just felt pointless watching it on my cheap 50" Samsung TV, that was the first time I really felt like I was watching a movie in the wrong format. The whole time I was basically using my imagination to try and picture how cool it would be on a big screen in 3D.

Just now, wildphantom said:

This. 

Multiplexes ruined the opportunity they had to make it some kind of normal. Actually diminishing the experience with poor quality bulb presentation, and audience quickly lost trust. Let alone studios and their god awful ‘conversions’ which destroyed what true 3D really is/was. 

Way of Water will have a bigger uptake of 3D due to memories of the quality in 2009, especially in PLF - they’ll do gangbusters. But you can bet your average Joe who isn’t going PLF is happy with regular 2D, and thus he’s not spending what he would have in 2009 on a ticket. 

And there have been 3D movies even better on the 3D department than Avatar, but people did not watch them. Maybe because of some not that good experience they had before. Pacific Rim, a lot of People say Gravity, Pirates 5 and none of them with that Amazing even better 3D came close to Avatar. 

A friend group of mine (I'm in Vietnam), those who rarely go the the cinema or even like the idea of paying money to see movies there, are super willing to go see TWOW when it opens.

We were just watching random things on TV and since I'm the only movie nerd in the group, I decided to put on some TWOW trailers and to my surprise, they immediately said that they have been waiting to see this movie in theaters for so long. I've never seen them like that before, not with Marvel or even major horror movies (very popular genre here).

This is going to be huge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

A friend group of mine (I'm in Vietnam), those who rarely go the the cinema or even like the idea of paying money to see movies there, are super willing to go see TWOW when it opens.

We were just watching random things on TV and since I'm the only movie nerd in the group, I decided to put on some TWOW trailers and to my surprise, they immediately said that they have been waiting to see this movie in theaters for so long. I've never seen them like that before, not with Marvel or even major horror movies (very popular genre here).

This is going to be huge.

Yeah General Audience are way more hyped for Avatar than hardcore fans of things that (possibly) are a minority of Movie Going Audience, Cameron has the General Public that goes to a movie like once a year or once every 10 years. 

Edited by StreamBO

34 minutes ago, StreamBO said:

Runtime is Never a problem, Titanic was longer, LOTR Return Of The King was longer, Gone with the wind. People Bingwatch TV Series today like is nothing. Is how people feel the pacing something that can be influenced by external factors. 

Also, I feel like with a visual feast like TWOW, the long runtime could even be an advantage. Like, who doesn't like to have more time to get lost in that beautiful world? They may even get shocked when it ends since they'll be returning to the dullness of our real world.

9 minutes ago, StreamBO said:

And there have been 3D movies even better on the 3D department than Avatar, but people did not watch them. Maybe because of some not that good experience they had before. Pacific Rim, a lot of People say Gravity, Pirates 5 and none of them with that Amazing even better 3D came close to Avatar. 

yeah, Prometheus, Hugo and Gravity were amazing. 

Who in gods name thinks Maverick has an awards-caliber story? It was obviously highly simple and surface deep with the drama. It's prime Bruckheimer entertainment throughout, including the pathetically irrelevant and forced romance.