Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I watched Avatar 1 in IMAX 3D the first time in September and it still has some of the most beautiful visuals I've ever seen in any movies. There's just something about its art direction that today's blockbusters can't hold a candle to, even when we talk about something like Dune which is impressive and mesmerizing on its own terms (Brutalist) but the lively & vivid color palette and the incredible use of lighting and glowing objects in Avatar are the kind of things that simply win the masses over. After all, cinema is, at its core, a visual art form. 

What TWOW will bring to the table, I can't even imagine. 

Edited by nguyenkhoi282
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

The difference between Avatar and all the other films out there is that Cameron’s is not just a film. Avatar is the vehicle to a dream like immersive collective experience that touches all different cultures around the world at the same time.

Cameron, like it or not, plays in a league of his own.

So true !!

6 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

I watched Avatar 1 in IMAX 3D the first time in September and it still has some of the most beautiful visuals I've ever seen in any movies. There's just something about its art direction that today's blockbusters can't hold a candle to, even when we talk about something like Dune which is impressive and mesmerizing on its own terms (Brutalist) but the lively & vivid color palette and the incredible use of lighting and glowing objects in Avatar are the kinds of things that simply win the masses over. After all, cinema is, at its core, a visual art form. 

Villanueve last 3 films have had Butalist Art Direction, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049 and now Dune. Dune is WOW but is more niche, that Brutalist thing is too cold for General Audience. And i love Dune Style, No IMAX Screen avaible today does Dune or Blade Runner 2049 justice, you would need one the screen size of the Observable Universe, but Avatar has like that Pretty Factor to a lot of people as you said or implied. 

Edited by StreamBO

6 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Did anyone even dump on TGM?, i mean i saw it twice, and bought the DVD. Some people were just looking at the complexity of its, and other films, story after that was something always labeled against AVATAR.

Seems fair discussion to me. But i didnt dump on it anyway.

I don't dislike TGM either, I gave it an 8 on letterboxd and I think it's a very solid action flick. I wasn't trying to dump or it or anything, just say that it's weird how a lot of avatar complaints feel very avatar-specific critique and aren't really moved towards similar blockbusters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nero said:

I already have. It's basically less than A1 both Dom and WW

Repost  please. Don't forget your ow predic As well Brother Nero.

Avatar 2 World Domination  begins Now!

Mine: 190m OW, 1.1b

High end predicts 215-220 OW(3 weekends domestically above 100m!)

1.3b domestic, (3.1b  OS)

4.4b ww

" Wherever We Go".

" This Family is our Fortress!"

• ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Repost  please. Don't forget your ow predic As well Brother Nero.

Avatar 2 World Domination  begins Now!

Mine: 190m OW, 1.1b

High end predicts 215-220 OW(3 weekends domestically above 100m!)

1.3b domestic, (3.1b  OS)

4.4b ww

" Wherever We Go".

" This Family is our Fortress!"

That's my exact Domestic prediction! 190m OW into 1.1b

I just realised with China back in operation how high my Worldwide prediction is lmao.

With just $800m domestic I think Avatar 2 will become the highest grossing film worldwide.

Edited by IronJimbo

14 minutes ago, StreamBO said:

Villanueve last 3 films have had Butalist Art Direction, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049 and now Dune. Dune is WOW but is more niche, that Brutalist thing is too cold for General Audience. And i love Dune Style, No IMAX Screen avaible todah does Dune or Blade Runner 2049 justice, you would need one the screen size of the Observable Universe, but Avatar has like that Pretty Factor to a lot of people as you said or implied. 

One more thing about Avatar is that although it's about an alien planet, the ecosystem presented feels very easy to connect to. The forests, the trees, the water, the animals and stuff. I think Cameron's love for the environment and the natural world is beautifully translated on screen. As kids, and maybe adults too, I think we all love stuff like NatGeo so that could be how people are so captivated by Pandora. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

The difference between Avatar and all the other films out there is that Cameron’s is not just a film. Avatar is the vehicle to a dream like immersive collective experience that touches all different cultures around the world at the same time.

Cameron, like it or not, plays in a league of his own.

More truth. I'm still having sense memory of not only my first escape to Pandora, but wow even the special Avatar Day 16min showing with my brother and a friend Aug 2009. The way he used 3d to transport you and not this in your face forgettable gimic is something words just cant.describe. One has to experience Avatar on those 100-60 foot Imax in digital  surround 3D and sound to see a true cinematic wonder that took you out of the theater and truly  to the world of Pandora. And now the Alpha of filmmaking has somehow managed to surpass the experience of the first.

This will be glorious Treat  my Fellow Pandorians!

Vengance and Vindication as the movie stomps on all its haters. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That's my exact Domestic prediction! 190m OW into 1.1b

I just realised with China back in operation how high my Worldwide prediction is lmao.

With just $800m domestic I think Avatar 2 will become the highest grossing film worldwide.

I know folks from  China are predicting 850-1.5b now. Wow I think your right since Avatar 2's internationally bo cume is  certainly looking as if a whopping  2.5-3b plus is up for grabs + the domestic..

I certainly feeling we will fly over the 800M domestic mark as well brother  Jimbo.

12 minutes ago, XXR 4 Modsident said:

Current ATWOW Prediction 

$165-170M OW

4.4-4.8x legs

$1.35B OS-C-R

$525M China 

Nice though I'm feeling a much bigger ow  and domestic.  And man i think your Os run predict maybe total obliterated.  Especially  china at 75% now and has 98% of the market.

Another thing is avatar is so much bigger than Endgame. They have a theme park and mountains there named after the movie

China for me is 800-850m👍

Don't be surprised if it's over a billion in China. Outstanding!

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Editing post
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Nice though I'm feeling a much bigger ow  and domestic.  And man i think your Os run maybe obliterated  Especially  china at 75% now.

And avatar is so much bigger than Endgame.

China for me is 800-850m👍

Understandable. If exchange rates were like 2009, and if COVID wasn’t a thing, I’d be with you on the $3.5-4.5B wagon but there are a LOT of headwinds in the market that will affect this run. Some things even JC can’t get around 🥲

36 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

I watched Avatar 1 in IMAX 3D the first time in September and it still has some of the most beautiful visuals I've ever seen in any movies. There's just something about its art direction that today's blockbusters can't hold a candle to, even when we talk about something like Dune which is impressive and mesmerizing on its own terms (Brutalist) but the lively & vivid color palette and the incredible use of lighting and glowing objects in Avatar are the kind of things that simply win the masses over. After all, cinema is, at its core, a visual art form. 

As much as I love Villaneuve I am burned out on these brutalist visuals and depressing futures. With our own world increasingly going to hell, people want and need a bright future to look forward to. Pandora may be fictional but Cameron makes it feel real. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, XXR 4 Modsident said:

Understandable. If exchange rates were like 2009, and if COVID wasn’t a thing, I’d be with you on the $3.5-4.5B wagon but there are a LOT of headwinds in the market that will affect this run. Some things even JC can’t get around 🥲

Maybe but the president just opened up theaters in china  for A2. So I wouldn't be sure Cameron doesn't pull off 3.5 or better brother.XX😉.

He's done wonders in bad box office times with Titanic, snow.storms and earthquakes with Avatar.

His film looks to rise above the odds yet again.🤠

3 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Ps a big Number for Avatar 2 to smash in china is End Game'sn 629m. Lock and load Pandorians!

Way of the Water tops End game in china coming up.

Let's  Go!!

Is that really all Endgame got in China?, damn.

I have A2 beating it then, and by quite a margin.

• Disbelief 1

Deadline's latest weekend box office update + Avatar 2 domestic OW blurb

"Also, with 20th Century Studios/Disney’s Avatar: The Way of Water set to conquer all business next weekend with a potential $200M domestic start, nobody wants to waste the marketing dollars to play in front of that, especially when moviegoing doesn’t pick up until after Christmas, when there’s zero holiday distractions and kids go on break."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1